08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Free Member

ATI 600 USB or the ATI 650 USB

I know it's a simple question. But does it really matter which one I use for video capturing?

Has anyone had any unique issues with either one? I'm looking to buy one and from what I can tell the 650 really isn't that much more. Plus the 650 has hardware MPEG-2 encoding as well as an FM radio which I thought was kind of neat.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/...ct-matrix.aspx
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've used an ATI 600 USB card quite a bit in the past 9 months, and would suggest that one simply because I know everything works that I need it to do.

That includes:
- NTSC analog capturing to AVI in VirtualDUb
- NTSC analog capturing to MPEG in ATI CMC (the supplied Catalyst Media Center software)
- PAL analog capturing to AVI in VirtualDub
- ATSC digital TV recording using ATI CMC

FM radio on a video card sounds more impressive than it really is. Always has been, as far back as the early 1990s.

MPEG-2 hardware encoding sounds great on the box, but on modern multi-core CPUs (dual-core, quad-core, etc), this is less of a factor on standard definition recording (conversion of analog tapes to DVD).

While I think the 650 can do what the 600 does, I don't want to promise it. Thereby ethically I can't suggest it as much as I could the 600.

I've not run across many people who have used both. Of those that have, their video knowledge was often lacking, so my questions went completely unanswered.

What are you wanting to do with either of these cards?

ATI 600 USB $49 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00138EOH8
ATI 650 USB $51 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0037A3MVE
Indeed, close price.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What are you wanting to do with either of these cards?
Good info! Thanks!

I have some old VHS-C and hi8 tapes that I'd like to convert to HuffYUV avi. I'll probably put all these tapes on DVD as well.
08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

My worry comes with AVI capturing on an MPEG hardware chipset -- that's rarely a fund situation to be in. Although it can work, sometimes it will not. I don't recall the specifics on the 650 USB cards and AVI recordings. I've read that it is possible on the PCI-e 650 cards -- but those are not the same card necessarily. Same number, yes. Same card? Not too sure on that.

The ATI 600 captures AVI just fine, PAL or NTSC.
MPEG recordings look good, too. (NTSC only, no PAL via ATI CMC)

The more important issue on quality will be a good VCR and/or video camera, to play those tapes.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The more important issue on quality will be a good VCR and/or video camera, to play those tapes.
I've heard that echoed a few times. I'm looking into either a JVC or Panasonic VCR and the hi8 tapes will probably just be run off the camcorder. I still have much to learn
08-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Some of the best Hi8 players are Sony Hi8 cameras anyway.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My worry comes with AVI capturing on an MPEG hardware chipset -- that's rarely a fund situation to be in. Although it can work, sometimes it will not. I don't recall the specifics on the 650 USB cards and AVI recordings. I've read that it is possible on the PCI-e 650 cards -- but those are not the same card necessarily. Same number, yes. Same card? Not too sure on that.

The ATI 600 captures AVI just fine, PAL or NTSC.
MPEG recordings look good, too. (NTSC only, no PAL via ATI CMC)

My first post. I have been on a conversion project for 2 years now, have about 20 vhs/vhsc tapes from 1995-2000. I am still stuck on my first step and that is capture. I confirm that ATI tv wonder 650 USB 2.0 edition captures NTSC and also PAL just as 600 does.

My test equipment includes an aiwa mx 100u and I will report how ATI works with Panny NV-HS1000 SVHS in a few days as it get delivered and if it works. :-) ATI TV WONDER 650 USB (P/N 102B0780300 000001) captures PAL via virtualdub and I got the best (awesome) capture until now with this using aiwa composite pal output. Other hardware tried is Leadtek TV Xpert 2000 (PAL or NTSC Capture composite/svideo) Hauppauge 1178 and some other models, Also tried Aiwa NTSC playback on Canon MC200 and NTSC DV capture. with camcorder method as second best until now.

If NV-HS1000 works, I am hoping to have a perfect setup. I must have read practically evey guide out there and every thread on this subject matter.
The only question I have is if ATI 650's 3d comb filter is counter productive compared to 600 which does not have it?

Also ATI 650 auto installs under Win7 64 bit, (ultimate/enterprise tested) via MS update site (Ati Black Mamba, ATI AVStream Driver). So i did not have to do any workaround atleast for the capture part (Virtualdub-PAL or Catalyst MMC - NTSC formats). It may not work for the tv part, which most of us trying to capture VHS tapes won't care for anyways.

This is great site, and led me to spend another $400+ on a 15 year old VCR :-) and my first ebay win from UK (ouch).
Any suggestions or help is always welcome. Thanks
08-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm not sure that I follow along with the question. Counter-productive in what way?

And one more thing ... Welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs