11-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Free Member

I'm on Windows 7 and recently acquired a Pinnacle 710-usb to capture s-video. I want to use Virtualdub 1.10.4, but the video capture is not working. Virtualdub apparently recognizes the Pinnacle 710, but no video sources are available under the "video" window.

I've installed dxwebsetup.exe, Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4. Best I can tell is that Virtualdub needs directshow, and directshow is included (in a newer form) in the stuff I installed.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-21-2019, 06:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Drivers here:
XP = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...CLEUSB2x32.exe
Vista/7/8/10 x86 = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...CLEUSB2x32.exe
Vista/7/8/10 x64 = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...iver_64bit.exe
- Main driver page: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...readmeHW10.htm

Then see this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post58837
Download Crossbar Thing from that thread.

Install drivers, reboot is required.
Start Crossbar Thing, set to s-video crossbar. Close.
Then open VirtualDub, capture mode.
Preview mode, not overlay.
Set to s-video if needed (if not already showing s-video), should look perfect.

Attached Files
File Type: 7z PCLEUSB2x32.7z (5.11 MB, 128 downloads)
File Type: 7z Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.7z (7.21 MB, 180 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: 113pigeon (10-23-2021), pedro163 (01-22-2023)
11-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Free Member

Thanks for getting back to me LS!

The link you sent me for the 710-usb drivers takes me to a main Pinnacle Studio products page. Is there a specific link to the driver itself? Or is there a download on DFaq for the driver?

It's my understanding after reading many post on DFaq, that the driver is critically specific to the chipset in these capture devices in order for them to perform properly.

The driver that I found yesterday and installed was Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe, but I have no way of knowing if that is the correct driver. This technology is 20 years old and information/support is sparse.

-- merged --

OK - progress finally!

The "Crossbar Thing" worked and now I have video and audio. And I'm assuming that the "Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe" I previously installed works with the chipset for the 710-usb, but I'm still not sure that it's the totally correct driver for the 710-usb and the chipset inside.

Another question. With the "Crossbar Thing" download came a "DirectShowLib-2005.dll". Is this necessary for a good capture, and if so, where does it go?

Thanks,
Steve
11-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
"Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe" is correct.

(The drivers were attached to a post here, somewhere, but could not find it quickly enough. One of the next forum updates is to have a universal downloads section for all software, not just post attachments. It'll make my forum life somewhat easier.)

The tech is only 15+ years old.

I don't recall the info on ""DirectShowLib-2005.dll" offhand. But for now, let's consider it "extra parts", since it seems to be working. You should have audio preview enabled in VirtualDub, and get zero dropped frames because of it, a benefit of this specific card. Video preview should be smooth in Preview mode. It may or may not work correctly in Overlay, so don't use that mode.

You're good to go, make a test capture.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Free Member

Figured out my problem.

As assumed it was a filter pointing at a Visual Studio Virtual Interface.. but it was all my fault.

I was using a filter to snoop on Third Party Video Capture applications to discover their Filter Graphs.

When I removed the user interface application for this filter it didn't remove the filter and it hung around overriding the device driver filter, directing it to nowhere.

The reason GraphEdit worked, was it did not trust the Merits of the filer store and hooked up its trailer hitch directly to the device driver.

Once I removed the virtual interface filter, everything started working again.. except for one small thing.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 edition for this test.

The device driver installer [ Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe ] as written for Windows Vista and has a bug, and Windows 7 reports it is unsigned.. which part I do not know. Its an InstallShield application wrapping a Windows MSI installer, wrapping a set of device drivers for Bender, DVC100, and Marvin Cr, Lite and Classic with the Marvin Bus.. all to go over USB.

If you watch carefully when installing it.. it actually bombs and rollsback its install at the very end.. no device drivers are actually installed when trying to use [ Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe ]. Instead.. Windows Update jumps into the middle of things and pulls a device driver checked into Microsoft HQ for Marvin (the actual name of the 500, 700, 510, 710 family).

So in reality.. at least for Windows 7 x64, you don't need [any] device drivers.. as long as Microsoft is still serving them.

However

This is a Big BIG PROBLEM come January 2020 when Microsoft shuts off support for Windows 7. Those device drivers may stop being served and things could stop working.

I'm studying, trying to trace down why or which part of the compound device driver that is double wrapped in [ Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe ] that is failing and causing the rollback.

It might be that some part is unsigned and the x64 version of Windows is hacking up a hairball.. but I suspect its some incompatibility in the installer or driver that was intended for Vista.. they made it this complicated because this is a [Multi-Family] device driver installer.. Bender, DVC100, ect... somewhere it has to run a check to decide which set of drivers to install.. any one of those could be the problem.

The alternative (to be on the safe side) is to backup or export the installed device drivers, so you could reinstall it independent of Microsoft.. if they really do pull the driver support for Windows 7 x64 come January 2020.

The 500, 700, 510, 710 do excellent under VirtualDub 1.9.11 and probably more.. Preview always has to be set.. Audio levels can be set but recording with Audio playback on de-syncs the audio and video.. so remember to shut the playback off when actually capturing.. audio will be captured.. its the audio playback that skews the synchronization while capturing. While you watch it your watching a "lossy" realtime view which you can't tell is dropping audio samples or video frames to stay in sync.. it doesn't matter.. your brain fills in the gaps.. but video capture files can't lie to you.. when you watch those they will show sync errors you can't correct in your brain.

For those "playing at home"

The command to get [ Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe ] to explode its driver set is:

MSIEXEC.EXE /a "\Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe"

That will open a GUI window and ask "Where do you want the Administrative Network Install to go?"

Point it at a directory you've already created for it and it will dump everything in there.

The subsequent .msi file is the actual Microsoft MSI installer, the directories contain the device drivers.

The MSI installer is doing double time running a script to decide which family is the topic of this installation and directs the Pnp device driver installer to pull device drivers in the order they will be installed from the different directories.

The Marvin "bus" device driver is a prerequisite it layers on top of the system USB and USB host device drivers already installed.

The Marvin "av" device driver handles the actual physical device "family" 500, 700, 510, 710

The "Bender and DVC100" are physical PCI cards I think which were a different product line and had nothing to do with USB.

Its kind of hopeful that if Microsoft is serving the device drivers from Windows Vista/7 they will continue to do so.. but.. who knows.

I'm still intrigued by the mystery of why the [ Pinnacle_Video_Driver_64bit.exe ] is failing and rolls back.. the certs are all signed by SHA1 and that scares the pants off most security people these days.. it might be why Microsoft is blocking it.

Last edited by jwillis84; 11-25-2019 at 08:38 PM.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: BruceOlsen (12-23-2019)
12-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Free Member

On a clean Win10 box I was able to get composite video from an old deck through my Pinnacle-710 without installing any drivers, so that should be a good sign.

I haven't got Crossbar Thing set up yet so S-video doesn't work, but that's job 1 for tomorrow AM. I'll post results.

And why use 64-bit instead of the 32-bit version (since everything else I installed is 32-bit)?

Last edited by BruceOlsen; 12-24-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Add 32-bit comment
12-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Free Member

Well, the 32-bit version didn't install in Win10 64-bit but the 64-bit version did.

After using Crossbar Thing VDub started running breathtakingly slowly, e.g., when I forgot to set the name of the capture file VDub took 5-10 seconds to report it to me. And there's no reliable video preview. I'll start a new thread on this.