Quantcast MPEG1 Multiplexing Size Issues - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
12-31-2002, 06:21 AM
gonzopdx gonzopdx is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I encode as mpeg1-es and multiplex to mpeg1-video-cd, the file size grows dramatically.

Last I tried, I encoded a file in mpeg1 that ended up being 696mb + 95mb for sound.. after multiplexing, the file grew to over a gig! When I tried multiplexing as mpeg1-video-cd-nonstandard, it also grew to about 900 megs! The only way I have been able to get it to multiplex to a decent size is just doing the mpeg1-automatic.. I'm not sure this is multiplexing to a stream that most video-cd capable players are compatible with..

Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
12-31-2002, 09:07 AM
SansGrip SansGrip is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzopdx
When I encode as mpeg1-es and multiplex to mpeg1-video-cd, the file size grows dramatically.
Multiplexing into a VCD-compatible file adds quite a bit of overhead. This is called the "system stream".

Quote:
Last I tried, I encoded a file in mpeg1 that ended up being 696mb + 95mb for sound.. after multiplexing, the file grew to over a gig! When I tried multiplexing as mpeg1-video-cd-nonstandard, it also grew to about 900 megs!
You can work out the final size with this formula:

final = (video + audio) * (2048 / 201

So in your case, the final size would be

final = (696 + 95) * (2048 / 201 = 803mb

If you saw a final size significantly greater than that, then you're doing something wrong .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
12-31-2002, 01:10 PM
Daagar Daagar is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It shouldn't grow that much... not even close. Poke around in the BBMpeg forum and find a screenshot from Kwag that describes the proper settings. BBMpeg does _very_ strange things when you don't follow Kwag's screenshot exactly. I had given up on bbmpeg until he helped out [/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
12-31-2002, 01:17 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reply With Quote
  #5  
01-02-2003, 12:34 PM
gonzopdx gonzopdx is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the screenshot kwag -- 'cept I have a problem.. bbMPEG doesn't work on my computer for some weird reason =)

I can open it, click 'start encoding', click 'settings'.. as soon as I click any of the 'open' buttons, bbMPEG dies. It just closes on its own, no messages or anything. VERY irritating.

So I've been trying to multiplex using TMPGEnc, 'cept that gives me horrible results. Like I mentioned earlier, the file ends up being huge.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
01-02-2003, 12:58 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzopdx
I can open it, click 'start encoding', click 'settings'.. as soon as I click any of the 'open' buttons, bbMPEG dies. It just closes on its own, no messages or anything. VERY irritating.
It's a BBMpeg bug. When you run BBMpeg, first click on "Add" and cancel the dialog that pops up. Now proceed as usual

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #7  
01-02-2003, 02:02 PM
urban tec urban tec is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: West Australia
Posts: 272
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwag
What is the difference between
A) setting the program stream type to mpeg 1 and pack options size to 2324

and

B) setting program stream type to vcd as you have in your screenshoot.

I always use method A
Reply With Quote
  #8  
01-02-2003, 02:10 PM
SansGrip SansGrip is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban tec
What is the difference between [MPEG-1 and VCD stream type]
I believe the only difference is that VCD is padded to align with CD sectors. In theory if you author an MPEG-1 system stream with VCDEasy it'll do the padding as it goes, whereas with a VCD stream it doesn't need to.

Though you also said you are setting the pack size, so I don't know. That's an interesting question .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
01-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Icarus3000 Icarus3000 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using BBMPEG fine for over a year now... always following Kwag's sage advice of:

Quote:
It's a BBMpeg bug. When you run BBMpeg, first click on "Add" and cancel the dialog that pops up. Now proceed as usual
But today, this now longer works. It keeps disappearing on me no matter what I do! I click "add", and before I can cancel the dialog box, the whole program shuts down.

I tried re-booting my computer, but that didn't help.

Anyone have any advice????

EDIT: Very weird... problem gone.. sort of... now it works if I DONT do the "Add - Cancel" trick, but pressing "Add" shuts down the program
Reply With Quote
  #10  
01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus3000

Anyone have any advice????
Use MPLEX

http://www.kvcd.net/downloads/mplex.exe

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #11  
01-11-2005, 05:18 AM
GFR GFR is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you running Windows XP? I think you need a special build of bbmpeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus3000
I've been using BBMPEG fine for over a year now... always following Kwag's sage advice of:

Quote:
It's a BBMpeg bug. When you run BBMpeg, first click on "Add" and cancel the dialog that pops up. Now proceed as usual
But today, this now longer works. It keeps disappearing on me no matter what I do! I click "add", and before I can cancel the dialog box, the whole program shuts down.

I tried re-booting my computer, but that didn't help.

Anyone have any advice????

EDIT: Very weird... problem gone.. sort of... now it works if I DONT do the "Add - Cancel" trick, but pressing "Add" shuts down the program
Reply With Quote
  #12  
01-11-2005, 12:44 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR
Are you running Windows XP? I think you need a special build of bbmpeg.
In fact if you are using bbMpeg under XP you need to download and install a patch.
Get it here http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avi2mpg2.html.
It's the 5th download link option named "5. bbMPEG XP patch - note 1"
Cheers
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What program to use for multiplexing? shanestar07 Video Encoding and Conversion 3 12-24-2008 10:02 AM
KVCD: Aspect ratio and file size issues scorch Video Encoding and Conversion 8 07-02-2007 02:46 PM
BBMpeg: multiplexing start/stop/size settings fiercegaming Video Encoding and Conversion 2 10-04-2004 12:44 PM
DVD to KVCD size issues? DerekBarton Video Encoding and Conversion 2 10-01-2003 05:49 PM
Multiplexing Issues... Jellygoose Avisynth Scripting 3 12-28-2002 03:25 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd