Quantcast AVI Encoded in a Strange Resolution: 704x400 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
10-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Early_Q Early_Q is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is about my 5th or 6th encode, and I've encountered a few problems.

First off, I'll start with my script question, just a small query. In this case, I'm encoding a near perfect AVI. Virtually DVD quality DixX, with no artifacts or graphical anomalies whatsoever, so this time I decided to use kwags Motion Adaptive script. My question is, is it always best to use Dialhot's AVI script v4? I played the scripts in WMP to preview the difference, and there was hardly any. I decided on kwag's script, as it seemed slightly sharper (probably my eyes deceiving me).

My main question is a little more complex. I read another thread about a similar issue, but the script talk was a bit to complex for me . This perfect AVI I have has been encoded in a strange resolution: 704x400.
I decided to try and simply encode at this resolution, to see how my TV would react. I had to drop the GripCrop lines in the MA script;

GripCrop(Your_GripCrop_Parameters_Here)
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")

and
GripBorders()

as when inputting the resolution, the overscan=1 and source_anamorphic=false paramters into GripCrop, the script failed to work as GripCrop reported unknown destination frame or something like that (basically it wasn't happy with the strange resolution I had asked for I think).

Those are just the standard gripCrop paramters i've put in for every encode, and unfortunately i hadn't got the benefit of MovieStacker (out of action) to help me on this one. Anyway, I encoded the movie, the final MPG looked fine in WMP. On TV; not so good . All is well, it plays, but the movie has stretched vertically (i suspect to 480) and then the rest of the movie pushed off the screen. The TV has basically put the movie into 4:3, and I can't find a setting to undo it.

I have two suspicions; the absence of GripCrop(source_anamorphic=false) has meant the TV has interpreted the video wrong. My other suspicion is simply that the TV doesn't like 704x400 and will always refuse to display it properly .

Any tips on how to solve this? Changing the resolution is what you may say but then...

I'm faced with a dilemma, of having to drop the vertical resolution to 288, loosing alot of detail. Or increasing to a standard 480 (and possibly ending up with a blurry image). I'd rather there was some simple script line, or GripCrop command I could use to retain the source resolution .

Any (and all) help is much appreciated .

-Al
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Q
My question is, is it always best to use Dialhot's AVI script v4?
I always found the MA script results very poor on any MPEG4 source, whatever its quality. But to be honnest, I do not like even the MA script for DVD sources... I never use it.

Quote:
I played the scripts in WMP to preview the difference, and there was hardly any.
A script, when good, can't be evaluated fully with a simple preview. You must encode a sample and compare the result.
Quote:
I decided on kwag's script, as it seemed slightly sharper (probably my eyes deceiving me).
Definitely your eyes. Even with the Asharp line, the MA script is less sharper because of the usage of "bicubic" as resizer.

Quote:
as when inputting the resolution, the overscan=1 and source_anamorphic=false paramters into GripCrop, the script failed to work as GripCrop reported unknown destination frame or something like that (basically it wasn't happy with the strange resolution I had asked for I think).
Usable resolutions are fixed values ! YOU CAN'T DECIDE TO USE ANY RESOLUTION YOU WANT. That is why Gripcop is "limited" to some resolutions only.
Quote:
Those are just the standard gripCrop paramters i've put in for every encode, and unfortunately i hadn't got the benefit of MovieStacker (out of action) to help me on this one.
Use FitCD that does the same thing.

Quote:
Anyway, I encoded the movie, the final MPG looked fine in WMP.
It's perhaps the first time you see that but you must know that wmp is not something to use to see the quality of a result. Just forget it !

Quote:
On TV; not so good . All is well, it plays, but the movie has stretched vertically (i suspect to 480)
And you suspected well

Quote:
My other suspicion is simply that the TV doesn't like 704x400 and will always refuse to display it properly .
As told above, you can't decide to...

Quote:
I'm faced with a dilemma, of having to drop the vertical resolution to 288, loosing alot of detail. Or increasing to a standard 480 (and possibly ending up with a blurry image).
Not at all ! The 80 pixels more will just be... black borders !

Quote:
I'd rather there was some simple script line, or GripCrop command I could use to retain the source resolution .
This is were FitCD will make you happy.
I just entered a source res of 704 x 400, asked for a resolution of 704*480 with overscan = 2 and this is what it suggested :
Code:
BicubicResize(592,448,1/3,1/3,0,0,704,400)
AddBorders(56,16,56,16)
Just try these values and you'll see !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Early_Q Early_Q is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greatly appreciated Phil :d. I'll try and encode tonight

Again, thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote
  #4  
10-19-2004, 05:39 PM
the viking the viking is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Dialhot wrote:
Quote:
I always found the MA script results very poor on any MPEG4 source, whatever its quality. But to be honnest, I do not like even the MA script for DVD sources... I never use it.
Just wondered;

What do you use for DVD sources then?


Thanks

----------------------

viking
Reply With Quote
  #5  
10-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the viking
What do you use for DVD sources then?
Code:
Mpeg2Source("PATH\NAME.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7)
LanczosResize(672, 400, 4, 76, 712, 424)
DRemoveGrain()
Deen()
AddBorders(16, 88, 16, 88)
resize and addborder has to be adapted according to the source of course (I use FitCD) or replaced with GripCrop/GripBorder
Reply With Quote
  #6  
10-20-2004, 08:11 AM
the viking the viking is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Ill give it a try

---------------------------

viking
Reply With Quote
  #7  
10-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excuse me, this was for DVD to KDVD.
For DVD to KVCD you should use :
Code:
LanczosResize(464, 560, 2, 0, 476, 360)
DremoveGrain()
Deen()
TemporalSoften(2,7,7,3,2)
AddBorders(8, 8, 8, 8)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
10-20-2004, 12:33 PM
the viking the viking is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay,Ill do both KVCD and KDVD.
Most KDVD the last weeks in fact.

But a small question,whats the difference between Dremovegrain and
Removegrain?
If there is any??

---------------------

viking
Reply With Quote
  #9  
10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the viking
But a small question,whats the difference between Dremovegrain and
Removegrain?
If there is any??
DRemovegrain is only the SSE2 optimized version on RemoveGrain. To be ussed if you have a P4.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
the viking the viking is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok,no I don't have P4.AMD Athlon XP 2600+ I got.

Thanks for your help

------------------
viking
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TMPGEnc: Quality of Template Resolution VS Standard Resolution? afx Video Encoding and Conversion 1 12-29-2003 07:56 PM
KVCD: Strange tok predictions? andybno1 Video Encoding and Conversion 2 10-03-2003 09:30 AM
Strange KVCD resolution chrismckpk Players, DVRs, Media Centers 1 08-03-2003 05:17 PM
Kvcd resolution bigger than source resolution? Kane Video Encoding and Conversion 13 05-15-2003 06:24 PM
KVCD: Strange outcome... Please help!!! qute11 Video Encoding and Conversion 4 01-20-2003 01:07 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd