digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]

digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives] (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/)
-   Video Encoding and Conversion (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/encode/)
-   -   Bitrates: Cqmatic for smartphone encoding? (http://www.digitalfaq.com/archives/encode/6965-bitrates-cqmatic-smartphone.html)

magnus 12-03-2003 02:20 AM

Cqmatic for smartphone encoding?
 
Kwag,
I was wondering if there was any way I could set up cqmatic to calculate the cq for certain size memory cards. Using the custom settings in calcumatic I can get the bitrates, but that is as far as I can get. I tried cqmatic for the hell of it but I get a "invalid resolution" error since I'm using 224x176. Any ideas how I can get this jewel to do the job?

Thanks
Magnus

kwag 12-03-2003 05:30 AM

Hi magnus,

Get me the smartphone available resolutions, and I'll modify CQMatic to include them :!:
Is 224x176 the only one used :?:

-kwag

magnus 12-03-2003 01:37 PM

Kwag,

You are the man! I have seen just a few resolutions listed: 224x176, 240x176, 176x136, & 220x176. There may be more but this is all I know of. Will I need to do anything differently in cqmatic from what I am used to with my other encodings? Thanks again for your help and thanks for all the great work you put into this site! Just think, I remember when you presented the idea of kvcd to the conversion community (vcdhelp etc.) and many said it was impossible. Hah!! Job well done!

Magnus

kwag 12-03-2003 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnus
Kwag,

You are the man! I have seen just a few resolutions listed: 224x176, 240x176, 176x136, & 220x176.

Thanks magnus :)
After a little research, I've found that the four standard resolutions used on smartphones, are:

160x120
176x220
208x240
240x320

Sadly, 176x220 can't be used with TMPEG, because 220 can't be evenly divided by 8. So TMPEG will bomb with an error if you try that resolution.
So I just included the three other resolutions, except 176x20.
Quote:

There may be more but this is all I know of. Will I need to do anything differently in cqmatic from what I am used to with my other encodings?
Yes. Download the new version 1.05 :mrgreen:
http://www.kvcd.net/CQMatic-1.2.05.exe
Quote:

Thanks again for your help and thanks for all the great work you put into this site! Just think, I remember when you presented the idea of kvcd to the conversion community (vcdhelp etc.) and many said it was impossible. Hah!! Job well done!
I'll never forget that. And as they say: "The last laugh is the best laugh" :mrgreen:

Let me know how the new version works. Remember, you are encoding at small resolutions, so you should use CQ_VBR instead of CQ :!:

-kwag

magnus 12-04-2003 12:20 AM

Kwag,

I hate to ask but could you please add 224x176. I have tried it and it works perfectly on my phone. Also, I plan on using your template you created a while back. Do you still feel it is the best settings, gop etc. for smartphone encoding?

Thanks again
Magnus

kwag 12-04-2003 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnus
Kwag,

I hate to ask but could you please add 224x176.

Grab it ;)
http://www.kvcd.net/CQMatic-1.2.06.exe

Edit: BTW Magnus, remember to set your MIN bitrate to 0 and your MAX to ~300Kbps.
You shouldn't need anything higher, for such a small screen.

-kwag

mistermickster 12-04-2003 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwag
Remember, you are encoding at small resolutions, so you should use CQ_VBR instead of CQ :!: -kwag

Kwag,

What would you class as a small resolution, as I've always used CQ so far. If CQ_VBR would give better results as lower res, I'd like to give it a try :)

Encoder Master 12-04-2003 06:50 AM

So little resolutions CQ_VBR is much better than CQ . Use it with resolutions at 352x288 and all values under this.

@kwag

In TMPGEnc out of standart SVCD Template I can use 240x576 as resoltion. Is this resolution also integrate?

kwag 12-04-2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermickster
Kwag,

What would you class as a small resolution, as I've always used CQ so far. If CQ_VBR would give better results as lower res, I'd like to give it a try :)

Anything at 352x240(288) or below, use CQ_VBR.

-kwag

kwag 12-04-2003 08:47 AM

I should have read your post Encoder Master, before I posted :roll: :lol:

-kwag

kwag 12-04-2003 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encoder Master
In TMPGEnc out of standart SVCD Template I can use 240x576 as resoltion. Is this resolution also integrate?

No, it's not. And that resolution (576) is too high for any current smartphone.

-kwag

mistermickster 12-04-2003 09:15 AM

Excuse the dumb question :oops:

What's a Smartphone :?:

kwag 12-04-2003 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermickster
Excuse the dumb question :oops:

What's a Smartphone :?:

A smart Telephone :)
Which usually integrates a PDA type screen and now they also have a small camera that let's you take a picture and send it over to another smartphone while you are talking. Plus many more features, depending on the manufacturer.
Have you seen the Verizon commercial of: "Can you hear me now?" :?:
Well, you'll soon be seeing new commercials like: "Can you SEE me now?" :lol: :hihi:

-kwag

mistermickster 12-04-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwag
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermickster
Excuse the dumb question :oops:

What's a Smartphone :?:

A smart Telephone :)
Which usually integrates a PDA type screen and now they also have a small camera that let's you take a picture and send it over to another smartphone while you are talking. Plus many more features, depending on the manufacturer.
Have you seen the Verizon commercial of: "Can you hear me now?" :?:
Well, you'll soon be seeing new commercials like: "Can you SEE me now?" :lol: :hihi:

-kwag

I'm not from your neck of the woods, but we do have them over here :roll: . Just not heard them called Smartphones before.

Sorry to go off topic but, why is CQ_VBR better than CQ at low res. :?

kwag 12-04-2003 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermickster
Sorry to go off topic but, why is CQ_VBR better than CQ at low res. :?

The answer is WAY deep in this thread: http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2073 with screenshots and full explanations ;)

-kwag

Encoder Master 12-04-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Encoder Master wrote:
In TMPGEnc out of standart SVCD Template I can use 240x576 as resoltion. Is this resolution also integrate?

No, it's not. And that resolution (576) is too high for any current smartphone.

-kwag
No I mean if it's integrate to encode the Movie in 240x576:
Perhaps some Player doesn't exept 352x576 and perhaps the Movie doesn't fit in htis resolution on a CD-R. So I have this questions if this resolution is integrate because it's also as an non-standart template in TMPGEnc. I don't mean smartphone.

kwag 12-04-2003 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encoder Master
So I have this questions if this resolution is integrate because it's also as an non-standart template in TMPGEnc. I don't mean smartphone.

No, it's not integrated, because even though TMPEG has a template for it, I have yet to see a standalone that can play that resolution :!:
The smallest (widest) resolution that I have seen supported on standalone players is 320x, but not 240.
Most players will display this as a "squeezed" video on the screen.

-kwag

magnus 12-04-2003 01:31 PM

Kwag

Greatly appreciated! Last question, should I leave the gop and other settings the same in the old template. I'm not sure if you created this template before the new matrix and gop settings.

Thanks
Magnus

Encoder Master 12-04-2003 01:53 PM

Quote:

No, it's not integrated, because even though TMPEG has a template for it, I have yet to see a standalone that can play that resolution
The smallest (widest) resolution that I have seen supported on standalone players is 320x, but not 240.
Most players will display this as a "squeezed" video on the screen.

-kwag
OK kwag your're right. I've tested it and it'S realy squeezed. :cry:
But it was a try. :wink:

kwag 12-04-2003 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnus
Kwag

Greatly appreciated! Last question, should I leave the gop and other settings the same in the old template. I'm not sure if you created this template before the new matrix and gop settings.

Thanks
Magnus

Frankly, because you're looking at a very small screen, I would increase the GOP to a sky high number like 64 8O :lol:
You might even want to decrease the frame rate by half, and don't forget to encode your audio at 64Kbps. :idea:
That will now fit just about any 2+ hour movie in a 128MB flash card :hihi:

-kwag


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd

Site design, images and content © 2002-2020 The Digital FAQ, www.digitalFAQ.com
Forum Software by vBulletin · Copyright © 2020 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.