Quantcast KVCD: 98 Mins of Clip, but only 79 Mins on DVD Player? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
12-06-2003, 07:07 AM
shao shao is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have encoded my first KVCD clip. It plays fine using windows media player. But after I burned it as a vcd, and played using my DVD player, the dvd player only reports 79 mins(98 mins original). And during the play, I noticed that the characters in the movie speak a little faster than normal, and it is not very enjoyable at all.

Does this mean that my DVD player simply cannot handle KVCD?

Thanks.

Shao.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
12-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Boulder Boulder is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lahti, Finland
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try resampling the audio to 44100Hz (or use 48000Hz if you already used 44100Hz).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
12-06-2003, 08:45 AM
shao shao is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I will give it go. But why there is only 79 mins when playing on the DVD player? Does this happen to very one else?

Thanks.

Shao.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
12-06-2003, 10:03 AM
muhali3 muhali3 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, it happens to me. Matrix Reloaded as KVCD only said 62mins on my dvd player.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
12-06-2003, 10:16 AM
vmesquita vmesquita is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,726
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess this has to do with the use of VBR in KVCD... Some counters go crazy...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
12-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's why you use a lower bitrate for Audio than 224kbps. The Players are oriented in it. I think you choose 160kbps or 192 for the Audio.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
12-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
I think that's why you use a lower bitrate for Audio than 224kbps. The Players are oriented in it. I think you choose 160kbps or 192 for the Audio.
The time displayed has nothing to do with the audio bitrate. I first thought also that it was due to the VBR mode. But no.

It is tied, for an unknown reason, to the CQ mode. Try to do a conversion in 2-pass VBR and you see that the counter is correct. I never understood why.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
12-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I think it has. I think he has use a bitrate of 192kbps of Audio and a DVD orient to 224 standart audio bitrate. Because its lower the counter is incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
12-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
Yes I think it has. I think he has use a bitrate of 192kbps of Audio and a DVD orient to 224 standart audio bitrate. Because its lower the counter is incorrect.
It seems that you always have difficulty to understand me. THAT IS NOT TIED TO THE AUDIO BITRATE. I can repeat that as much as you want.

The exact same encoding, with no parameters changed except the mode (from CQ to 2-pass VBR, or perhaps even CBR i didn't try that) will correct the standalone counter.

At least it does on my two different standalone at home. There is a big difference between "I think" and "I tested".
Reply With Quote
  #10  
12-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I think it seems that you always have difficulty to understand ME.

I've tested it, too. Or you think I say something without knowledge? (The answer can you save , I think you know why. )

I say he uses a Audio Bitrate of 160kbps (In this example it's hard to say)

It's like a Formel.
Example:

The Movie is 101min long but the DVD Player shows only 72min.
Now, what you have to do:

101min/224kbps*160kbps=72min

I hope this example shows you that what I say is true?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
12-06-2003, 02:21 PM
incredible incredible is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to incredible
EM thats because YOUR (and maybe shaos player too) do determine the timecode on what the Kbit rate of the audio says.

There are many different players on earth and therefore different ways how do they get the timecode .... some refer to GOP sizes, some to audio kbits and some as Dialhot said on *hmmm* I don't no this phenomenom BUT as HE tested! it I think YOU ALSO SHOULD belive what he says!

Cause we are doing NON-Standard encodings and therefore many players handle non-standard things different .... that's why we call it non standard.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
12-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
There are many different players on earth and therefore different ways how do they get the timecode .... some refer to GOP sizes, some to audio kbits and some as Dialhot said on *hmmm* I don't no this phenomenom BUT as HE tested! it I think YOU ALSO SHOULD belive what he says!
I also think he's right but in this example that's my experience and he have begun to say I'm wrong. But I don't wanna argue.

@shao

Another:

The Video you have burn is it ca. 780-790MB big. So your DVD can show the Burning Time. You have burn 790MB and in Audio-CD Format it it 79min.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
12-06-2003, 02:46 PM
incredible incredible is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to incredible
I understand you EM, but I answered cause of your words ...
Quote:
...Or you think I say something without knowledge? (The answer can you save , I think you know why. )
You know ... the little hints between the lines is what's giving the tone.

These days have been enough things between the lines said, especially in another language part of this forum so we shouldn't continue with that
Reply With Quote
  #14  
12-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
The Video you have burn is it ca. 780-790MB big. So your DVD can show the Burning Time. You have burn 790MB and in Audio-CD Format it it 79min.
If a player would do that it will never give correct time on SVCD. So that's not an option.

The same, if a players trust the audio bitrates to display the time. You say your standalone do that ? So what happens when you put a standard SVCD in it ? They are rarely at 224 Kbps.

For the rest, sorry but you never said you did, but you thought. That is not the same thing at all. Nevertheless, it's funny to see how thoughts becomes truths in one post. Hugh ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
12-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
If a player would do that it will never give correct time on SVCD. So that's not an option.
In that case you're right. I think that's clear what you say.

Quote:
The same, if a players trust the audio bitrates to display the time. You say your standalone do that ? So what happens when you put a standard SVCD in it ? They are rarely at 224 Kbps.
It shows the correct time. What do you think???

Quote:
For the rest, sorry but you never said you did, but you thought
OK now I say I know and that's right. But like I say before I don't wanna argue with you only help the guy who asked his question.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
12-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
Quote:
The same, if a players trust the audio bitrates to display the time. You say your standalone do that ? So what happens when you put a standard SVCD in it ? They are rarely at 224 Kbps.
It shows the correct time. What do you think???
Because you said taht your standalone use the audio bitrate to compute the time. A SVCD is not a 224Kbits and you say that your player gives the correct time for that. WHAT IS THE CONCLUSION ?

Quote:
I don't wanna argue with you only help the guy who asked his question.
You don't because you can't ! And you can't because you were honest when you said "I think" in the first place and know you try to convince people you are talking about tested and verified things on your standalone. That's what you call "help people" ?

I don't mind believing you, but all what you say seems too strange for that.

It seems you like maths, so why don't you use the REAL numbers given here insteed of false ones taken in your brain ?

224 Kbits * 79 min / 98 mins = 180 Kbits !

What a funny audio bitrate, don't you think ?
For sure, this stange result explains why you gave an exemple with other datas.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
12-07-2003, 04:16 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Because you said taht your standalone use the audio bitrate to compute the time. A SVCD is not a 224Kbits and you say that your player gives the correct time for that. WHAT IS THE CONCLUSION ?
A standart SVCD has a bitrate of 224kbps too. If the bitrate is below the DVD Player does't show the correct time.

Quote:
I don't mind believing you, but all what you say seems too strange for that.

It seems you like maths, so why don't you use the REAL numbers given here insteed of false ones taken in your brain ?

224 Kbits * 79 min / 98 mins = 180 Kbits !

What a funny audio bitrate, don't you think ?
For sure, this stange result explains why you gave an exemple with other datas.
Because of I said in this example it's hard to say.

But let's wait what the postwriter say.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
12-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Boulder Boulder is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lahti, Finland
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master

A standart SVCD has a bitrate of 224kbps too. If the bitrate is below the DVD Player does't show the correct time.
The standard for SVCDs is 32-384kbps
Reply With Quote
  #19  
12-07-2003, 05:04 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And why the Standart SVCD template of TMPGEnc you can't change the Audio bitrate and it's set to 224kbps.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
12-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
A standart SVCD has a bitrate of 224kbps too. If the bitrate is below the DVD Player does't show the correct time.
Another complete change in what you said before because I put you back against the wall.

Quote:
Because of I said in this example it's hard to say.
What is hard to say ? He gave two numbers (79 min and 98 min). According to your "theory" we have ALL what we need to know... You are the only one that can compute that.

Quote:
And why the Standart SVCD template of TMPGEnc you can't change the Audio bitrate and it's set to 224kbps.
Because even TMPGEnc developpers made their own choices. But they do not make the standard. And the standard is what Boulder remind to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KVCD: Clip frame in TMPGenc? masterman Video Encoding and Conversion 10 12-31-2007 02:18 PM
My First Kvcd fits 180 mins! kev23m Video Encoding and Conversion 11 04-09-2004 12:56 PM
DVD2SVCD: Takes 40 mins to encode 145 minute video? Ygge Video Encoding and Conversion 6 07-20-2003 10:58 AM
KVCD: SUCCESS in burning 95 mins to 1 CD-R, but problems playing? ferferfer Video Encoding and Conversion 1 11-23-2002 09:18 PM
Capturing: Lost frames every 10-15 mins Learner Video Capturing / Recording 11 05-12-2002 05:21 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd