Quantcast KDVD: Blurry Picture M2V? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
12-30-2003, 01:48 PM
itsjapie itsjapie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to itsjapie Send a message via MSN to itsjapie
Hi everyone,

I have a problem creating a KDVD..

* I ripped a DVD (with DVD Decrypter)
* then I created a D2V file with DVD2AVI (which gave me a .ac3 and .d2v) file...
* then I adjusted the following AVISynth script to match my needs :

---------------------------- Begin AVS Script ----------------------------

################################################## ################
# Using Kwag?s Motion Adaptive Filtering to get more compression #
################################################## ################

#################################
# Load Plugins for Avisynth 2.5 #
#################################
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\mpeg2dec.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\undot.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\asharp.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\grip.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\STMedianFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\knight\unfilter.dll")

##############
# Parameters #
##############
myanamorphic=true # change to false if on step 6 you had 4:3 instead of 16:9
#Use 720 or 352 to KDVD, 528 352 to K(S)VCD
m_width=720
#subtitle="VTS_01_0.sub" # Add a# in the beginning of this line if you don't need
#subtitles or change for the name of the sub file created on step 7. movie="name_of_the_project_DVD2AVI.d2v"
myoverscan=1 # Test values from 0 to 3 here. Bigger files produce more quality but
#a value too big will cause undesirable black borders on your TV.
MaxTreshold = 1.50
nf = 0 # Current frame.

################
## Functions ###
################

function fmin( int f1, int f2) {
return ( f1<f2 ) ? f1 : f2
}

##########
# Script #
##########
MPEG2Source("c:\knight\knight.d2v")

#Resize, over scan and borders
undot()
Limiter()
asharp(1, 4)
GripCrop(m_width,480,overscan=myoverscan,Source_an amorphic=myanamorphic,dest_anamorphic=false)
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")
STMedianFilter(8, 32, 0, 0 )
MergeChroma(blur(MaxTreshold))
MergeLuma(blur(0.1))

## Linear Motion Adaptive Filtering ##
#
# ( Portions from AviSynth's manual ) - This will apply temporalsoften to
# very static scenes, and apply variable blur on moving scenes.
# We also assign a variable - and this is why a line break is inserted:

SwitchThreshold = (Width<=352) ? 4 : (Width<=480) ? 3 : 2
ScriptClip("nf = YDifferenceToNext()"+chr(13)+ "nf >= SwitchThreshold ? \
unfilter( -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)), -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)) ) : \
TemporalSoften( fmin( round(2/nf), 6), round(1/nf) , round(3/nf) , 1, 1) ")

#
#
#

GripBorders()

#Subtitles #
############
#VobSub(subtitle) # Add a # in the beginning of this line if you don't need #subtitles.

converttoyuy2()

---------------------------- End AVS Script ----------------------------

* after that I load the KDVD (PAL - Full D1) template in TMPGenc
* and second I load the AVS in TMPGenc..

But when I encode it I'm getting the following .m2v
(download here : http://62.131.123.182/test.m2v - ~3.8MB )
As you can see, the picture is a bit blocky & blurry.
How can this be ?

I've been guide-, manual-, and FAQ-reading all day long.. and still can't find a solution to my problem.

(btw. the movie is about 127 minutes long and will be around 1,8 gb.. is this ok ?)

please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Happy new year,

JJ
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
12-30-2003, 02:48 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjapie
As you can see, the picture is a bit blocky & blurry.
How can this be ?
That's a colorspace issue.
Check that you have the latest MPEG2dec3.dll.

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #3  
12-30-2003, 02:51 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjapie
...
#Subtitles #
############
#VobSub(subtitle) # Add a # in the beginning of this line if you don't need #subtitles.

converttoyuy2()

---------------------------- End AVS Script ----------------------------

* after that I load the KDVD (PAL - Full D1) template in TMPGenc
* and second I load the D2V in TMPGenc..

But when I encode it I'm getting the following .m2v
(download here : http://62.131.123.182/test.m2v - ~3.8MB )
As you can see, the picture is a bit blocky & blurry.
How can this be ?

I've been guide-, manual-, and FAQ-reading all day long.. and still can't find a solution to my problem.

(btw. the movie is about 127 minutes long and will be around 1,8 gb.. is this ok ?)
Hi itsjapie,
looking at the script you posted, I must advise you that it is based on an older version of Kwag's optimal MA script.
Now, when you say you load the d2v file in tmpgenc I don't quite understand. Why did you make that nice Avisynth script first?
Please check that you have Avisynth v2.53 installed on your system along with ReadAVS v0.1 so that tmpgenc can read your avisynth scripts.
Also check the line "ConvertToYuY2" on your script.
You shouldn't need that one. Try comenting it by inserting the # (hash) sign before that command. Just tell me how it went, ok?
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Happy new year,

JJ
A nice one to u too :P
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #4  
12-30-2003, 02:53 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double posting
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #5  
12-30-2003, 03:20 PM
itsjapie itsjapie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to itsjapie Send a message via MSN to itsjapie
Hi all!!

First off : Thanks for replying at such a short notice!!!

@rds_correia

Quote:
Now, when you say you load the d2v file in tmpgenc I don't quite understand. Why did you make that nice Avisynth script first?
sorry, my bad.. I did load the AVS file in TMPGenc..(corrected my post ) but I haven't installed readAVS.. (TMPGenc reads the AVS without errors...)

I did place a # before the line with ConvertToYuY2 but TMPGenc complained that the file that I was trying to load (the AVS file) wasn't supported..
Questionmarks keep rising ..... :S

btw. AVISynth version is 2.5 (newest --> just downloaded it)

@Kwag

I renamed the mpeg2dec3.dll to mpeg2dec.dll (too lazy to adjust the script ) I don't know which version I have... or if it's the newest...
file specs are :

Mod-date : 28-07-2003
Filesize : 254.028

(maybe you know )


Again, thanks for helping!

grtz,

JJ
Reply With Quote
  #6  
12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjapie
I did uncomment the line with ConvertToYuY2 but TMPGenc complained that the file that I was trying to load (the AVS file) wasn't supported..
Taht mean that you do not have any YV12 codec installed on your POC. Install Xvid foir instance. Withotu YV12 you are not working in the optimal condition for converting a DVD as YV12 is the original colorspace of DVD.

Quote:
I renamed the mpeg2dec3.dll to mpeg2dec.dll
You can rename to whatever you want, avisynth do not use the name of the dll but what is inside
Reply With Quote
  #7  
12-30-2003, 04:18 PM
itsjapie itsjapie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to itsjapie Send a message via MSN to itsjapie
Quote:
That means that you do not have any YV12 codec installed on your POC. Install Xvid foir instance. Withotu YV12 you are not working in the optimal condition for converting a DVD as YV12 is the original colorspace of DVD.
Sorry ... I meant that I placed a # before that line.. That was Kwag's suggestion because I wouldn't need it... but when I do that, TMPGenc gives me the error..

Quote:
You can rename to whatever you want, avisynth do not use the name of the dll but what is inside
Yes I know, the only reason I said it was to indicate that I do use MPEG2DEC3.DLL (and to indicate that I'm lazy )

grtz,

JJ
Reply With Quote
  #8  
12-30-2003, 05:30 PM
rds_correia rds_correia is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chinese Democracy starts now!
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Istjapie,
But two things I don't get.
One, have you already installed Nic's XviD codec so you can start working directly in YV12 colorspace
Because once you do so you will no longer see a message from tmpgenc when you are using your
avisynth script without the ConvertToYUY2() line
Two, have you got ReadAVS installed or not
If you haven't then there is no way you can be using avisynth scripts in tmpgenc right now
Procede installing it right away.
Two and a half, could it be that you have ffvfw installed in your PC? If so remove it from your system.
__________________
Rui
Reply With Quote
  #9  
12-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjapie
Sorry ... I meant that I placed a # before that line.. That was Kwag's suggestion because I wouldn't need it... but when I do that, TMPGenc gives me the error..
Don't worry, that's exactly what I have understood. And this error from TMPGENC means that you do not have any YV12 codec on your PC See above what to do.

Quote:
Yes I know, the only reason I said it was to indicate that I do use MPEG2DEC3.DLL (and to indicate that I'm lazy )
Okay
Reply With Quote
  #10  
12-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
Two and a half, could it be that you have ffvfw installed in your PC? If so remove it from your system.
You bet it : with ffvfw (or ffdshow) installed you can open avs under tmpgenc without having readAvs. All is handle via the directshow support (and it is definitely NOT the thing to do ).

My advice : always unckeck Directshow support in VFAPI tab of tmpgenc. This way you are sure you never use it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
12-30-2003, 06:28 PM
itsjapie itsjapie is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to itsjapie Send a message via MSN to itsjapie
Hi All,

@rds_correia

How could I be so stupid!! I don't have the XviD codec installed
But the funny thing is; when I change it to ConvertToRGB24(), it works
perfectly! And the quality is DVD-like!

So... my next (stupid ? ) question would be... what's the difference in
colorspacing ?

About ReadAVS.. maybe it's installed automatically alongside another program.. I didn't install it by myself...

I did not Install ffvfw nor fddshow on my pc.. At first I did but Windows 2000 (my OS) gave me a fatal error when starting TMPGenc... so when I re-installed AVISynth, i skipped the option..

@Dialhot

Quote:
Don't worry, that's exactly what I have understood. And this error from TMPGENC means that you do not have any YV12 codec on your PC See above what to do.
ok that's good.. it seems to occur more often that I make that kind of type-o's... :$
About the codec : see above (Stupid me )

About your post about ffvfw/ffdshow... I don't understand what you are saying... with ffvfw you can make your VOB's appear like 1 avi file IIRC ? or am I just plain stupid ? (oke ... don't answer that last question )
I hate Micro$oft aswell (can't wait 'till this all will be possible under Linux so I can get rid of this dualboot thing ) but why is loading an AVS file via Directshow "not" the thing to do ? (and yes, I disabled it )

@ All

Like I said before.. I changed "ConvertToYUY2" to "ConvertToRGB24" and it works like a charm right now (movie is encoding 'as-we-speak')
But, I still don't know if this is the "right" way to do it...

I also tried to install the Xvid codec and comment out "ConvertToYUY2" but I still get the error from TMPGEnc "Cannot load or unsupported"
("ConvertToYUY2" does work after the Xvid install but with the same bad
quality as in the beginning as shown in the sample)

grtz,

JJ

btw. Are YUY2 and YV12 the same thing ?
btw2. Many thanks for these great tips & advise that you're all giving me!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
12-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjapie
How could I be so stupid!! I don't have the XviD codec installed
But the funny thing is; when I change it to ConvertToRGB24(), it works
perfectly! And the quality is DVD-like!

So... my next (stupid ? ) question would be... what's the difference in
colorspacing ?
Tmpgenc work internally in RGB24 (or 32 perhaps, I'm not sure) so there is no difference between adding a "ConvertToRGB24" AT THE VERY END OF THE SCRIPT or let TMPGENC doing the conversion itself.

Quote:
About ReadAVS.. maybe it's installed automatically alongside another program.. I didn't install it by myself...
Let the cursor on the name "readavs.dll" and you will see from where it is loaded. Generally it's DVD2SVCD that installs it.

Quote:
ok that's good.. it seems to occur more often that I make that kind of type-o's... :$
About the codec : see above (Stupid me )
We have to admit that this one is tricky (installing Xvid codec in order to use correctly our DVD)

Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying... with ffvfw you can make your VOB's appear like 1 avi file IIRC ?
That's not what I was saying.
ffdshow and ffvfw both handle YV12 but they are Directshow filters, not codec. As you can see above you need something on your PC that handle YV12 else you have an error in TMPGENC.

That can be the Xvid codec but if it is not installed and if the "DirectShow source" support is checked in tmpgenc, the avs script is opened via the directshowfilter "ffdshow".

Do you understand ?

Quote:
I hate Micro$oft aswell (can't wait 'till this all will be possible under Linux so I can get rid of this dualboot thing )
But it is ! Go to the ffmpeg section of this forum !

Quote:
but why is loading an AVS file via Directshow "not" the thing to do ? (and yes, I disabled it )
Because it slow down the process deeply and with directshow you can't stop other filters to be used (directvobsub for instance, or Divx antifreeze). All these are useless and harmfull in the encoding process.

Quote:
also tried to install the Xvid codec and comment out "ConvertToYUY2" but I still get the error from TMPGEnc "Cannot load or unsupported"
("ConvertToYUY2" does work after the Xvid install but with the same bad
quality as in the beginning as shown in the sample)
Xvid codec has to be setted to output as YV12. It is not it's default. See in config tab of Xvid codec.

Quote:
Are YUY2 and YV12 the same thing ?
No.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Output file too blurry? Wolfi Video Encoding and Conversion 16 10-07-2003 12:03 PM
KVCD: Ahh! Blurry KVCDs! EvilFactor Video Encoding and Conversion 9 07-25-2003 04:25 PM
KVCDs are really blurry? ftin Video Encoding and Conversion 26 06-05-2003 01:45 AM
KDVD: encoding for the best audio and picture? itoney Video Encoding and Conversion 16 04-11-2003 04:13 PM
KDVD has Jerky Picture? Anonymous Video Encoding and Conversion 2 01-24-2003 01:53 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd