Quantcast Made First KDVD - Disappointed - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
04-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Uruk-hai Uruk-hai is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a newbie on board. I have a lot of DivX and Xvid AVI downloaded from the internet that I need to burn them on DVD. The AVI are usually low to medium quality.
Before KDVD, I was using TMPGEnc Plus with 2-pass VBR and avg bitrate of 4800 Kbs. Results were quite acceptable except the output file size and some loss in sharpness and details.

I am looking for a template that can optimize the quality of the conversion. I tried my first half-D1 KDVD but when I watched it on my standalone player, it was quite blocky which is typical for low bitrate in the MPEG-2.

Am I on the right track to use KVCD/KDVD to optimize the conversion of low quality AVI?

Some guides pls.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no surprise for your bad results....
the source is divx/xvid, 2 pass vbr, avg bitrate 4000....
seems that you don't read any guide yet, then you don't get good results!
take a look in the guides in main page:

http://www.kvcd.net

you will find everything you need!

ahh...we don't support download files,
please, read the disclaimer !

...welcome in forum Uruk-hai !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
avg bitrate of 4800 Kbs
Such a high Average Bitrate and bad results weather using the 2-pass mode.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-11-2004, 03:21 AM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
Quote:
avg bitrate of 4800 Kbs
Such a high Average Bitrate and bad results weather using the 2-pass mode.
it's not an reverse "miracle" my friend EM,.....

think in his source !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Encoder Master Encoder Master is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: (^_^)
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But with an average of 4800kbps I think you can't see a difference between CQ and 2-pass. But CQ is faster even with prediction.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
04-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Uruk-hai Uruk-hai is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel
seems that you don't read any guide yet
Thank U for all response. Trust me. I did read the guides before posting. However that it does not imply that I understand all of them fully and this was the reason I got bad result.

There are certain areas that confused me:
1) The avisynch script referred by black prince assumes a DVD or clean source, in my case my source is low-medium quality DivX/Xivd
2) I could not find an approprite template for 352x240. There wasn't one for MPEG2 and the one for MPEG1 is LBR (low bit rate). I need something better. That was the reason I settled on half-D1 although I know well that I should pick 352x240.

Is KDVD only meant for shrinking DVD into smaller size?
Do I really need to use an avisynch script to frameserve to TMPGEnc before I can get decent result out of the exisiting templates?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uruk-hai wrote:

"However that it does not imply that I understand all of them fully and this was the reason I got bad result. "
yes, really!

"...in my case my source is low-medium quality DivX/Xivd "
for this reason i wrote:
"the source is divx/xvid" and "think in his source ! "

"I could not find an approprite template for 352x240. There wasn't one for MPEG2 and the one for MPEG1 "
maybe i'm wrong but you can't encode mpeg2 at 352x240!

"Is KDVD only meant for shrinking DVD into smaller size? "
yes and without loose quality but the source have to be clean!

"Do I really need to use an avisynch script to frameserve to TMPGEnc before..."
it's a better choice.

you need to know D.I.K.O. , you're lucky....take a look :

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=79

we don't know anything better for divx/xvid sources than D.I.K.O.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
04-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Dialhot Dialhot is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,463
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel
maybe i'm wrong but you can't encode mpeg2 at 352x240!
You're wrong.

Quote:
"Do I really need to use an avisynch script to frameserve to TMPGEnc before..."
it's a better choice.
it's the ONE AND ONLY choice when the source is a divx and the destination is a KDVD.
Oh... no, there is an other choice : NEVER DO KDVD FOM DIVX.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
04-11-2004, 08:20 PM
jorel jorel is offline
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasil - MG - third stone from the sun
Posts: 5,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel
maybe i'm wrong but you can't encode mpeg2 at 352x240!
You're wrong.

Quote:
"Do I really need to use an avisynch script to frameserve to TMPGEnc before..."
it's a better choice.
it's the ONE AND ONLY choice when the source is a divx and the destination is a KDVD.
Oh... no, there is an other choice : NEVER DO KDVD FOM DIVX.
Phil wrote:

"You're wrong. "
yeah...
i never did and don't knew about 352x240 mpeg2...standalones play it?
but i wrote -> maybe ...then i'm 50% right! (maybe)

"ONE AND ONLY choice.."
only?.....then here i'm 100% wrong !

"NEVER DO KDVD FOM DIVX"
yeah, here you are 100% right!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Made a kdvd with ac3, but wmp won't find a codec? Adder Video Encoding and Conversion 3 10-02-2004 10:44 AM
Made my First kdvd with success! zagor Video Encoding and Conversion 4 04-04-2004 09:58 AM
made a KDVD! How to burn it ? The Neta Authoring VCD, DVD, Blu-ray 12 12-04-2003 12:20 PM
Any KDVD GUIDEs made yet? scb212 Video Encoding and Conversion 2 06-30-2003 08:48 PM
DVD Authoring... kind of Disappointed... Jellygoose Video Encoding and Conversion 10 01-15-2003 06:35 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd