Quantcast AC3 Audio Did Not Work on my Stand Alone Player? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Free Member

Got a quick question for you guys ( I hope ). I've been making kdvd's for a while now and I tried to put ac3 audio on the last one I did and it came out great on my computer but didnt work on my stand alone player for some reason.Is there something that I overlooked?
I use Tmpge and a template I made for the video and Headac3he for the audio and even tried Beesweet.They come out great 704x480 res and 384k mp2@48khz audio but I just wanted to try to improve the audio quality.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Free Member

I have only tried 704x576 PAL with ac3 sound on my player and it did not work. I am using dvd-lab now (I tried dvdauthorgui but the resulting disk did not even play on my PC). It plays on my PC but not on my player.

My audio is 48khz 256 ac3..

I'm going to try 720x576 next, perhaps that works better on my player.
Or could it be the audio? I wonder...
06-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Are you using an old build of ac3enc.dll which is distributed within older besweet packages?

Because that old ac3enc plugin is known for not working properly when using these encoded AC3s in some DVDplayer Models ... especially Pioneers!

As I see that you encode also mp2s at 48khz therefore thte Khz u are using are correct.

Btw. what does not play correct on your standalone?? The audio or the video? Or even both not?

@ Cweb

If 720x576 or 704x576 BOTH are totally DVD Player compilant! So that wont be the problem.
06-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Free Member

I tried one of the small vobs at 704x576 and wrote it to a cd-rw like I do with kvcd's. It didn't play in my player, but a 720x576 clip vob did!

I think it's my player which doesn't support standard 704x576...
It's a clatronic. I should get a new one these days perhaps..
06-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Free Member

The video comes out great and the audio plays great as long as it's encoded to mp2.If I encode it to ac3 the audio will not play in my dvd player.It is a Philips dvd player about 6 mo old.I just dl'd the new besweet so i dont think it's the old ac3enc.dll but i could be wrong and it does it if i use headac3he too so maby it's my player then but retail dvd's have ac3 audio right?
06-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Free Member

@cweb
704*576 is in the DVD standard so you are telling that your player does not play standard DVDs. I don't think so.
The problem is that a vob put on a CDRW has nothing to do with a DVD ! How did you author it ? Does your player supposed to play mini-DVD ? (how did you test with 720*576 ?)

@tony
How did you author you DVD ? Did you check the ifo to see if the audio is correctly declared as ac3 and not mp2 ?
06-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
@cweb
704*576 is in the DVD standard so you are telling that your player does not play standard DVDs. I don't think so.
The problem is that a vob put on a CDRW has nothing to do with a DVD ! How did you author it ? Does your player supposed to play mini-DVD ? (how did you test with 720*576 ?)
My dvd authoring was
1) first with dvdauthorgui - didn't work. It created an iso, which didn't play anywhere after I burnt it. The files in the video_ts directory I tried to write them to a DVD-R disk using Nero 6 (dvd-video of course).

2) then I did the same thing with dvd-lab. didn't work on my player, but it worked on my PC. (used nero 6, dvd-video, dragged all the files in video_ts). Dvd-lab muxed my m2v and ac3, by the way.

Now my player plays a dvd encoded mpg/vob without problems when written using nero (I choose "svcd") for this, so I used this to check what would happen with these files. The vobs for this test I created using bbmpeg (muxed m2v and ac3). I don't know if my player supports mini-DVD, I didn't try that so far.
06-16-2004, 04:06 AM
Free Member

Burnt this authored kdvd (720x576 PAL) to dvd-r and my player still refuses to play it. It makes a sound and says DISC ERROR..

It plays in my PC, it's recognised by dvd decryptor perfectly..

I'm off to buy a new dvd player... probably a samsung this time..
I'll take a KVCD and a couple of these DVD-R's to test with me.
06-16-2004, 05:05 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb
Now my player plays a dvd encoded mpg/vob without problems when written using nero (I choose "svcd") for this
But you are not doing a DVD You are doing a SVCD
Nero just convert the vob (that is a mpeg) into a true mpeg and burn it as SVCD.

That's why I asked you how you did that ! If you want to use a CDRW to test you must do a mini-DVD else this has no value.

For the test you did with a DVD-R : is your player supposed to play them ? DVD-R is not 100% compatible. Did you try DVD+R also ?
06-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Free Member

I did a test with svcd and the vobs. But I also authored a complete DVD, once in 704 and once in 720. Both DVD-R's (DVD-VIDEO) did not play on my clatronic dvd player.

I took some samples including these DVD-R's to a samsung dealer, and guess what, they played perfectly on a samsung p421 and an sv-dvd440 (plus the previous older model whose name I didn't take notice of). I tried kvcd 544x576 pal muxed as svcd plus 2 authored DVR-R's. All worked without problems, so I bought the sv-dvd440. I'm happier now that everything works as I want it to...
06-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Free Member

As I said you should have try DVD+R first but a new player is great also
06-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
But you are not doing a DVD You are doing a SVCD
Nero just convert the vob (that is a mpeg) into a true mpeg and burn it as SVCD.

That's why I asked you how you did that ! If you want to use a CDRW to test you must do a mini-DVD else this has no value.

For the test you did with a DVD-R : is your player supposed to play them ? DVD-R is not 100% compatible. Did you try DVD+R also ?
For the svcd test I just put the vob's into the window. Nero did not convert them at all. I had used this before to put dvd video with mp2 audio onto a cd-r together with other kvcd mpegs...

I don't know if the clatronic was supposed to play them. It wasn't specified at the time, only CD-R and CD-RW was.. These things advance rapidly.
No I didn't test DVD+R, I don't have that media, it is more expensive locally so I didn't buy any so far.
06-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Free Member

Quote:
As I said you should have try DVD+R first but a new player is great also
Actually now that I think about it, I did have one sample given with the burner itself. I might try it later on.
06-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
For the svcd test I just put the vob's into the window. Nero did not convert them at all. I had used this before to put dvd video with mp2 audio onto a cd-r together with other kvcd mpegs...
It is NOT possible to have vobs on a SVCD. Take you disk, open an explorer with it and go to the MPEG2 directory. You won't find any Vobs there.
I guess that Nero just "forget" to tell you about that.
(as I said, vobs are almost mpeg, but not exactly mpeg).
06-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Quote:
It is NOT possible to have vobs on a SVCD. Take you disk, open an explorer with it and go to the MPEG2 directory. You won't find any Vobs there.
I guess that Nero just "forget" to tell you about that.
(as I said, vobs are almost mpeg, but not exactly mpeg).
Well I found a file avseq01.mpg and it is the same vob file, it plays with ac3
sound too. Remember my svcd setting in nero is set to allow non-compliant files.
06-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Well I found a file avseq01.mpg and it is the same vob file
It is NOT the same
You have different multiplexing when you do a SVCD, than when you do a DVD

-kwag
06-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Free Member

Yes, kwag, but I multiplexed the file in this case using bbmpeg. I could make a test and do a binary comparison to see if it remains the same or not.
06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
@cweb

@tony
How did you author you DVD ? Did you check the ifo to see if the audio is correctly declared as ac3 and not mp2 ?
When I authored it,it said it had ac3 audio.I use Tmpgenc dvd author to do it.
06-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_c
When I authored it,it said it had ac3 audio.I use Tmpgenc dvd author to do it.
As I told you : DO chech the ifo (with ifoedit) to see if the audio is really declared in ac3. You can face with a bug of the authoring tool !
07-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Free Member

I'll give it a shot