Quantcast Aspect Ratio on TV Removes Too Much of the Picture? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Free Member

Hi all

Thanks to Dialhot for helping me earlier with an issue. I then had a second problem with jerky video, but I resolved that (thanks to other posts on this board). Now I have this one issue remaining.

I am converting a Divx (512*352) to KDVD (352*240 or 352*480) using CCE. My conversion goes fine and the picture looks great. However, the aspect ratio seems to be off when displayed on a TV (which is the main reason I am making this for). Despite using the grip commands in the script, when the DVD is played on the TV the entire screen is filled cutting off the edges(left and right) of the picture rather then having the black bars at the top and bottom as the original avi source had.

I am guessing there must be a way to keep the correct aspect ratio so that the borders are included and all of the picture (or most of it) will still be there on the TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Minister OI
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Free Member

Your problem is handled by the parameter "overscan" of the line gripcrop.
With overscan = 1, you add 8 pixels of black border all arround the picture. With overscan =2, that is 16px, and so on.

So reencode your video with a greater value of overscan and you should have no more picture "eaten" on the sides.
07-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Your problem is handled by the parameter "overscan" of the line gripcrop.
With overscan = 1, you add 8 pixels of black border all arround the picture. With overscan =2, that is 16px, and so on.

So reencode your video with a greater value of overscan and you should have no more picture "eaten" on the sides.
Phil, is overscan=0 allowed? Will gripcrop assume that no overscan is needed if it is not a parameter, or will it assume a default of 1? Thanks.
07-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aielman
Phil, is overscan=0 allowed?
Of course, but there is absolutly NO interrest in that (unless you are not watching your KVCD on a TV)

Quote:
Will gripcrop assume that no overscan is needed if it is not a parameter, or will it assume a default of 1? Thanks.
I do not remember the default so put it anytime to be sure.

Note: both of these questions can have an answer with a TEST that takes 5 second to do !