Quantcast Dropped Almost Every Single Frame While Capturing! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
Go Back    digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives] > Video Production Forums > Video Capturing / Recording

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-03-2002, 09:26 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to twobit326
Hey guys, I was capping my first full movie )Matrix: THe Videocassette ) Anyways, when I was capping the movie was PERFECT untill right when e sees "The Matrix" at the end my CPU usage went to like 4% and I droppeed almost every single frame for almost a minuet. Then it came back all of a sudden! I was capping perfect with 42 frames lost the entire movie before that.

Is there any way I can set the amount of CPU usage for it?

BTW, I was getting tonights episode of american Idol (THe last) and it all of a sudden didit again!!! What's happening. NOthing is runnig although I didn't run Killemall so the processes were still running in XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Twobit326
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to twobit326
BTW, I was using virtual dub and capping @ KVCDx3 res. with the Huffyuv codec
09-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Free Member

Hi twobit326,
Seems to me there's a background process being triggered, and messing your capture. Just kill all your background tasks just to be sure ( pop-up stoppers, banner blockers, etc ).
Also, there's an option in Vdub to disable "write caching". Check this option. So that buffer writes are shorter than if you have a large cache waiting to be written. This locks up interrupts on the PC bus too long, and can cause frame loss.

-kwag
09-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit326
BTW, I was getting tonights episode of american Idol (THe last) and it all of a sudden didit again!!!
Your computer probably just hates Justin, mine sure does!
09-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to el_mero_zooter
or it could've been that simon guy...
mind u mine capped all of paula's splendor, no prob....

zTr
11-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Free Member

What I usually do is kill all my TSR apps in the systray. I also disable my ethernet connection and shut off my cable modem. I have Win2kpro. I also stop nortron internet from running but not the antivirus.

In virtualdub I use MJPEG and set my tracking manually while making a small capture to optimize for tracking errors.

Also make sure you have your screensaver turned off. And also get a good memory manager to free up RAM before you start capturing. If you have a NT kernel windoze OS then set a drive to be your capture drive as an NTFS drive. My C:\ is NTFS and my D:\ is FAT32. NTFS has a higher filesize limit than 4G common to FAT32.

Both win2k pro and winxp pro have had my pc reboot unexpectedly because of a memory dump. This only happens to be triggered at random as far as I can see and not attributed to encoding or capturing or surfing. It just happens at random.

Event viewer in both OS'es are good at what they do. Maybe you should look at any events if you have either. Microsoft knows about these things but to paraphrase an old saying "If a windoze pc crashes in the woods does it make a sound?"
11-19-2002, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh5150
My C:\ is NTFS and my D:\ is FAT32. NTFS has a higher filesize limit than 4G common to FAT32.
I was having a similar problem (in WinXp Pro), the fram drops were due to virtual memory usage. Try saving your captured file to another drive, not where your virtual memory file is being stored.

You can use AVI_IO to cap and save a series of AVI files that VirtualDub will auto load and assemble.