Quantcast Recording VHS to DVD to Computer? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Free Member

Hi, I've read some of this forum, but am still not sure if what I'm doing will give me the desired result.

I have a bunch of VHS videos at work and I need to create a video with relevant parts from the VHS tapes, and the final product needs to be in DVD format. Plus, a little bit of editing needs to be done after adding some more video from the net. So, I'm wondering if someone can tell me the best way out of this mess. We already have a VHS -> DVD recorder, so I thought I could just convert the VHS to DVD format, and take the data off of the DVD in a DVD-RW drive, or something like it, where upon I'd have all my video in the computer for easy organization and editing, then once finished, I could make the final cut. Is this wishful thinking, or am I on the right track? Thanks in advance for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Free Member

You are on the right track ONLY if the DVD-recorder does DVD that are compatible with the standard. It's not always the case.
07-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Free Member

Well, I hope that's the case, and the DVD-Rs that the DVD Recorder burns work fine in 3 different brands of top-set DVD player that I have around. 1 question though, how can I get the video from my DVD-R disc onto my computer with a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW? Will I need to bother with a capture card/firewire/whatever, or is there simply some software that can record it into an .avi or .mpeg or similar file for me? I know you can rip CDs in this way, so is there some way to do it with DVDs?
07-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulala
the DVD-Rs that the DVD Recorder burns work fine in 3 different brands
Okay.

Quote:
1 question though, how can I get the video from my DVD-R disc onto my computer with a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW?
If they are standard you can use any tool used for ripping a dvdvideo : dvddecrypter for instance.

Quote:
Will I need to bother with a capture card/firewire/whatever, or is there simply some software that can record it into an .avi or .mpeg or similar file for me?
Nope. The capture is the operation to go from analogic (the VHS) to something digital. Here the DVD is digital. In other word, the DVD-recorder already does the acquisition.
The Videos are put as "vob" files on the disc and there are a lot of tools to read them.

Quote:
I know you can rip CDs in this way, so is there some way to do it with DVDs?
That's exactly that
07-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Free Member

Thanks much!