Quantcast KVCD's Picture Appears on the Left Side of my Screen? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
08-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Free Member

Hello all

You might remember me from such topics as ``A couple of questions``. Today I finally got ahold of the remote and was able to play the KVCD compatible CD v2. All samples worked perfect! They played full screen on my TV, no aspect ratio change needed whatsoever!

However, when I burn my own creations (source: XViD - see topic mentioned above) the picture ends up 25% out of the screen all to the left side. While on my sisters' cheap DVD player (which doesn't even list support for VCD's (!)) my disc plays fine. The picture centered and only a black bar on top and below, like it should be and the way it is when I watch my KVCD in Windows Media Player. But on the expensive DVD player (Pioneer DVR 520H-s) here it won't play my KVCD correctly, that has the same resolution as used on the KVCD Compatability Test CD. I figured I've got something wrong in my TMPGEnc settings and I'm asking your help

Here are two screenshots that I think will help (using KVCDx3-MPEG-1-NTSC template). I already tried converting my source file from NTSC to PAL so I could use a resolution ending with 576 instead of 480, but that didn't make any difference.

I'm using the V4 AVS script (which could also cause this problem I guess... don't know which script was used for the KVCD Compatability Test CD):

Code:
AviSource("E:\kvcd\testfile\testfile.avi",false)
BlindPP(cpu=4)
Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_max=3,variance=0.1,seed=1)
Convolution3D(1, 6, 12, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
GripCrop(528, 480, overscan=1, source_anamorphic=false)
GripSize(resizer="LanczosResize")
Undot()
TemporalSoften(2,7,7,3,2)
DCTFilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,0.5,0)
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_max=10,variance=0.3,seed=5623)
GripBorders()
TextSub("E:\KVCD\testfile\subtitle.srt")
I use these settings for bbMPEG:

And finally these in Nero Burning ROM:

If you need to know anything else, just ask...!
Would be cool if Kwag could tell which settings he used to make that Test KVCD, because that seemed to work!

Update: I also tried encoding to the standard resolution 352x240. Same results, picture is 25% outside of the screen on the left. Also tried muxing the MPEG-1 VCD as a MPEG-2 SVCD and burning it as a SVCD non-compliant. Same effects once again!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

08-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwad
However, when I burn my own creations (source: XViD - see topic mentioned above) the picture ends up 25% out of the screen all to the left side.
I think that the KVCd sample disc holds a 528*480 sample but you should try to do your encodings with 544*480 and see if that fix your problem.
08-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Quote:
However, when I burn my own creations (source: XViD - see topic mentioned above) the picture ends up 25% out of the screen all to the left side.
I think that the KVCd sample disc holds a 528*480 sample but you should try to do your encodings with 544*480 and see if that fix your problem.
I tried that resolution (put it in my AVS script), but it was put out as 528x480 in the encoded .m1v. And.., of course, didn't work. It's so frustrating! I know KVCD's can play perfectly in the Pioneer player. I don't think it's a matter of resolution. There must be something wrong with my settings. If Kwag reads this: share your secrets with us. How did you create the compatability test disc exactly?
08-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Free Member

In TMPGEnc, you need load your KVCD Template, and after it load the unlock template. In this way you can change resolution in TMPGEnc (see your first pic). It have to be 544x480 also.
08-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I tried that resolution (put it in my AVS script), but it was put out as 528x480 in the encoded .m1v.
This is because you loaded the template after the script. If you want to have the script that control the process, load it afterwards.
And do not encode anything if the bottom line of tmpgenc screen shows other things taht the ones you want to have.

Quote:
There must be something wrong with my settings. If Kwag reads this: share your secrets with us. How did you create the compatability test disc exactly?
There is nbothing wrong in your settings !
08-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Free Member

Dialhot it's time to hug

I was doing some last resort things and decided to change the bitrate from min 600 to max 2000 (instead of min 300 max 2500) and try your resolution and IT WORKED. Now I can finally watch 1CD movies on my DVD player with subtitles and a nice resolution. Now all I have to do is find the ideal max and min bitrate my player will accept.