Quantcast Documentation for Gripcrop(), Gripsize(), and Gripborders()? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Free Member

Hello,

First of all, I'm very glad I came across this forum!

I have been using this standard script and wondering a few things:

AviSource("z:\file.avi")
GripCrop(720, 480, overscan=0, source_anamorphic=false)
GripSize(resizer="BicubicResize")
GripBorders()
ChangeFPS(29.97)

First of all, where do you find documentation for GripCrop(), GripSize(), and GripBorders()? I'm especially confused on what GripBorders does.

Next, is ChangeFPS() the right function to use if I have a source that is 25fps and I want it to be correct for NTSC BEFORE importing into my MPEG encoder? Or is it best to FORCE the framerate in my encoder? (CCE) Also, I notice that a lot of scripts prefer FILM (23.976). Is there an advantage to this? Will my authoring tool make a valid disc this way?

I hope this is not too many question on my first go. If I can reformat or provide any more information, please let me know.

I appreciate any help I can get, and greetings to all you wonderful people
for this forum!!

sking
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Free Member

Welcome on board
Quote:
Originally Posted by sking1001
First of all, where do you find documentation for GripCrop(), GripSize(), and GripBorders()? I'm especially confused on what GripBorders does.
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2292
(read all the thread as syntax has changed a little since the first release)

Quote:
Next, is ChangeFPS() the right function to use if I have a source that is 25fps and I want it to be correct for NTSC BEFORE importing into my MPEG encoder?
Yes but do NOT do it at 29.97, but at 23.976. After encoding you will pulldown the video in order to activate the "3:2 pulldown during playback" flags. This way your player will see it as a 29.97 video.

[quote]Or is it best to FORCE the framerate in my encoder? (CCE)[quote]
Never try to change a fps by this way.

Quote:
Also, I notice that a lot of scripts prefer FILM (23.976). Is there an advantage to this? Will my authoring tool make a valid disc this way?
For a second of movie you need to encode 23.976 frames insteed of 29.970, so of course the video take less bytes to be encoded.
For the authoring, you didn't say if you are doing VCD or DVD, and what is the tool you use. But with a pulled down video, as explained above, all is okay.
09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Free Member

Phil...Wow! Thank you for the excellent answer...and so fast!

I read the entire thread you pointed me too...now I remembering coming across it in my search before posting, but glossed over it

So am I to understand that GripFit() is the replacement to the GripCrop/GripSize combo?

I think I now know why it didn't matter whether or not I used GripBorders()...because it is smart in determining if borders need to be added, and in my resized video they were already there...?

Thank you so much for the answer on frame rate! Sorry...I am using TMPGEnc DVD Author to author my .m2v/.mpa files to DVD. So I will change my script to ChangeFPS(23.976) and activate pulldown after encoding (I think I know how to do this)

Quote:
For a second of movie you need to encode 23.976 frames insteed of 29.970, so of course the video take less bytes to be encoded.
That shouldn't effect my bitrate calculation, right?

Thanks again, Phil

sking