Quantcast Bought Star Wars Trilogy Box Set this Morning! :d - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Free Member

Hi Guys,

I had the day off work today so I thought I would pick up the Star Wars Trilogy Box Set at my local store today and I have to say im very impressed with the quality of it.

The quality has been touched up and like always the intro's on the DVD's are good.

I shall watch them sometime this week I just checked out all the DVD's to make sure they were working o.k. I will definately watch the extra's DVD to see all the featurettes.

I for one am over the moon to finally own the original three classic movies which I prefer to the newer episodes, i guess im old school and showing my age. :P

Has anyone else purchased the box set yet and what are your thoughts on them?

Michael.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-21-2004, 05:07 AM
Free Member

I'm definetely planning on getting the box too. How about sound quality? Have you tested that one against newer movies? How does it match?
09-21-2004, 05:52 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Yep, that would be interesting how the audio tracks other than english 5.1 have been mastered! I do remember the mess of the german audio tracks on the IndianaJones Box as they came in 2.0 CH Surround incl. a mega bad sound/downmix mastering.
09-21-2004, 06:04 AM
Free Member

Hi Jellygoose,

The sound imho is awesome to and has been touched up and emphasised.

The whole feel to it both visually and audio-wise oozes quality.

The sound is so sharp when compared to when it was originally released.

Im amazed at how they managed to touch up the original negative to produce such a stunning crisp picture quality it must have been painstaking for the Lucas guys.

Seeing as I prefer the original 3 movies im just happy to finally own these classic movies on DVD as opposed to my VHS, my Video tapes are showing their age and the picture quality declining.

I watched some of the documentaries and featurettes on the bonus DVD and it was awesome also ond doc was approx 1 hour and a half and went through George's struggle on making his original trilogy saga.

I still haven't gotten through the bonus DVD yet.

I love the menu's and all those excellent touch's The SW films have like the movie clips when you go to the chapter selection screen and when you start the movie just excellent.

Im sure you won't be disappointed with the DVD Box set Jellygoose I hope you are as happy with your one as I am with mine.

Michael.
09-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
Yep, that would be interesting how the audio tracks other than english 5.1 have been mastered! I do remember the mess of the german audio tracks on the IndianaJones Box as they came in 2.0 CH Surround incl. a mega bad sound/downmix mastering.
No one is interested in the German audio tracks just the English one's.:P

Lol, only joking Inc to be honest I can only speak from the English soundtrack which seems to be excellent I hope that they did make the same effort for all the other language's as it is unfair to only make a half-hearted effort for all the other language speaking countries.

After all most of the Countries in the World bought Mr Lucas's movies to make him a billionaire the least he could do to repay them is give them a decent soundtrack for their nation.

Michael.
09-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Free Member

@Jellygoose

Just to let you know that there are also changes in the Empire Strikes Back & Return of The Jedi.

In Empire they used Temuera Morrison's (Jango Fett) voice for Boba Fett and also they have replaced the Emperor Palpatine with the actor Ian McDiarmid from Jedi and the first 3 Episodes.

In Jedi at the end when you see the three ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker they have replaced Anakin with Hayden Christensen from the first three episodes.

It was excellent watching all 3 on DVD now I need to back them up so that my kids can watch the backups and not ruin my originals.

Michael.
09-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Well I got it too and ...

Nice sound 5.1ex in engl. and German.

About the Extras:
Not that nice like in the indiana Jones Box set! Even No THX Surround Setup Extra
Some scenes how they "builded" the new (old) helmet from D.Vader, But its called "how Anakin became DarthVader"
Something about how the effects in the light saber scenes where done.
Well ... not that exclusive like the very informative Documentation in the Indiana Jones Box Set.

The Movie is a bit noisy, ok if we think about how old is the source, then the job is done nice.

Anyway a fan of SW should have it
09-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Free Member

@Inc

Hi buddy did you go to the Language Selection section and try the THX Optimizer?

I agree with you on the so-called Bonus DVD, I to was really disappointed by the lack of featurettes on it.

I was hoping they would have put a bit more stuff on there and went into a bit more detail on how they did various effects on the original films and more insight.

They used a lot of it for advertising the forthcoming LucasArts games that are coming out.

Other than that I am very happy with the overall quality of the movies especially A New Hope it is amazing just how much the Lucas guys managed to clean up that old movie considering how old it is.

Michael.
09-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Free Member

YEP! Youre right, the thx sound/TVset optimiser is included in the lang. section (I forgot that! ).

I was (am) a very big SW fan and thats why Im very disappointed about the treatment and scene design of the Episodes 1 & 2.
So I waited for the release of the "real epsiodes" 4-6

The problem on the bonus section is, that beside making advertising for lucas games, there are just some little details as mentioned above about light saber, the force, figures etc.
(BTW: Mark Hamill does look now like a one who lives under a bridge )

Who is interested in "re-relaesing" trailers????
There is SO MANY interesting stuff like takes from the set at tunesia, how they made the imperial walkers in Episode 5 getting that realistic and so on and so on ... in the stock of G.Lukas. - Why dont they include that.
That made me disappointed

Or cutted scenes

I got some rare 2 books in here very deep in my collection where ist very detailed shown how they builded the models of the death star scenes in ep.4 or how the stardestroyers (the correlian model) is build and in which proportion of size (that was a Biiiiiig model )

Well all that is REAL interesting stuff for a real fan and not included in this collection which would make the collection REAL valuable.

Sorry Mr.Lucas your more creative than your DVD producers and you have should watch them a bit more when they have done their job!
09-24-2004, 04:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
There is SO MANY interesting stuff like takes from the set at tunesia, how they made the imperial walkers in Episode 5 getting that realistic and so on and so on ... in the stock of G.Lukas. - Why dont they include that.
That made me disappointed
Lucas did a press room where he told that he was urged to deliver the DVD 2 years ealier because of warez stuff already existing.
Formerly, the box should have been release in 2006.
09-24-2004, 05:12 AM
Free Member

I see your point Phil and I guess from Lucas's point of view it made sense to release it earlier than the planned 2006.

That said though I have to agree with Inc the Bonus Disc sucks big time.

Boring trailers especially the TV Spots one, just advertising the games LucasArts are making while they look good games I would have rathered more documentaries on the Disc.

I remember there being a few Docs on TV and one was about Jedi where they had Salacious Crumb sort of giving you a guide to the making of Return of The Jedi. I would have love to see that added to the bonus disc.

I guess this could be just a money spinner for Lucas to keep us old gits happy by releasing the original trilogy.

Who knows maybe he will re-release them with more extras on the bonus DVD after all how many times did he repackage and re-release the SE original trilogy on VHS? I know of at least 3 different versions of the VHS box set here in the U.K

Also when Episode 3 is complex will he release a box set of the first 3 movies and/or maybe a huge box set with all 6 movies in it.

Like you Inc im also a huge SW fan and I would be forced to buy these box sets to complete my collection.

I don't know if you guys watched Jedi but I have to say I didn't really like the fact they replaced the ghost of Anakin with Hayden Christensen as it makes the film inconsistent and doesn't look right him dying as an old man but his ghost returns to his youth.

I also agree with you Inc that they should have added those missing scenes to the movies to tie in a few more loose ends but I guess we cant have everything.

Michael.
09-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Lucas did a press room where he told that he was urged to deliver the DVD 2 years ealier because of warez stuff already existing.
Formerly, the box should have been release in 2006.
According to Lucas's statement:

I do agree that they had to hurry due to the warez presence in the web.
But these movie have been available already for a long time in the web and I do think if someone prefers bad warez than he still will focus on these. A real SW fan likes to prefer immideately the better quality offer of that box set, ... like we do .

BUT the main time spending work/focus was to get that old film material restored to bring it to DVD, also in case of the audio.

The Trailers are just taken from stock in the state of qulity as they where produced at their releasing. Look at the quality of the "premiere" trailer of the 70s. So a restoration on this material wasnt intended (and would be bad, cause thats "culty" stuff ). And thats why I do think its the same job if you look in the stock for trailers or for other more interesting stuff ? Well I think to pull out these more interesting parts wont take 2 years

Also informative The changes on the 2004 DVD material:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...rschanges.html
09-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Free Member

Thanks for that link Inc (wow that rhymes im a poet ) I wanted to know what were the changes between the original and the new release on DVD.

I shall check out that link now and have a good read.

Michael.