Quantcast Tutorial: How to Change the Style of Subtitles ? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Tutorial moved from DIKO section by Dialhot
Portuguese version : TUTORIAL: Como posso alterar o estilo das legendas

TUTORIAL: How to change the style of subtitles in DIKO Free?

Modifying subtitles in DIKO is pretty straightforward. I'll describe a way to do so.

1º STEP

You'll need a tool from Vobsub, 'Subresync' , which you can download at:

http://www.divx.com.hk/software/VobSub_2.23.exe

2º STEP

Open 'Subresync' which will appear on Vobsub's menu.

3º STEP

Hit 'Open...'

4º STEP
Now, choose some subtitles at your will. You'll be creating a 'template' for your own subs, so it doesn't matter which sub you'll pick. Think of it as an experimental subject :P:P

5º STEP

You should be back at the main window now. Press 'Edit' now.

6º STEP

You'll be able to modify the subs at your own will, now. I'll give you some tips:

1. You may change the font of your subs here. If you allow me, I would suggest 'Verdana' (that's the default font DIKO uses)

2. It may come in handy to select 'Opaque box' for subtitled movies. This will create a dark background over the subtitles to help the reading.

3. This to choose the width of the contour around the subs. I use '1'.

4. This to define the depth of the shadow around the subs. I also use this at '1'.

5. Here you'll choose the color of your subtitles, of the contour around them and also of the box behind them (if set).

Now that you've carefully chosen the style of your subs, press 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

7º STEP

You should be back at the main window, so press 'Save as...'.

8º STEP

Save your sub in the working folder you've set for DIKO.

9º STEP (optional)

You may want to check how your subs will look like and i suggest you do so. Use an avi player, such as BSPlayer or Radlight (i'm sure you can use others, but the process is identical.) Mine look like this:

10º STEP

Now that you are sure your subs are the way you want them, let's go over to the working folder, where two files should be.

You'll notice that a .style file was created. This will be where the preferences about the subs will remain. So, as you might have noticed, while DIKO is processing any movie, it creates some files, e.g., .avs files (for the script which will be used) or subtitles' file (.srt) which will be used by DIKO to encode the movie with the subs. Such files, because the great vmesquita ( ) set so, go by the name of movie0. This way, DIKO will create a movie0.avs file (which is often used in VirtualDub to check errors ) and logically a movie0.srt one. Therefore, if we want our definitions to be used on those subtitles, we should rename the .style file 'Subresync' created to
movie0.srt.style. Logical isn't it?!

Over again: The subs' file DIKO will create will always be named movie0.srt. For our preferences about the subtitles to be 'imposed', we should have a .style file with the same name of the subtitles DIKO will use. So, you'll have to have movie0.srt.style.

Note: If you'r going for a 2 CD movie, DIKO will additionally create movie1.srt, which will be the subs for the second part of the movie. This way, you'll also have to create a
movie1.srt.style file, so that the preferences are also applied to the second part. You can do this by making a copy of movie0.srt.style and then renaming it to movie1.srt.style.

Suggestion: It would be wise to leave the .style file(s) in the working folder, so that you don't have to worry about style anymore (unless you want to change it of course )

I think that's it. This is a translation of the original tutorial, which was in Portuguese. I'm sorry if my english is not that great, but i believe it's at least understandable. As always, be free to pose any question or comment. I'll be glad to answer

Peace [[]]
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-23-2004, 06:11 AM
Free Member

verry nice tutorial ! I will try it out asap
09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Free Member

Looks like a good tutorial Coaster thanks for sharing it with us.

Michael.
09-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Free Member

I like it also.
12-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Thanks, this was just what i needed but,

I use DIKO 0.77 free and i still get yhe large original subs from diko.
I would like to make the subs a little bit smaller.
I made an movie0.srt.style file (verdana 1 and copy it to the working
directory from diko. (where also movie0.srt is saved by DIKO).

Does somebody have any suggestions ?

thanks.
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Free Member

This thread or other DIKO related topics continue at www.vmesquita.com
I forgot to close this thread a long time ago
Sorry guys

-kwag
Closed Thread