Quantcast Because I don't Really Know What's Going on... - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
10-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Free Member

And I don't have the time to read all posts, and also, I don't understand Portuguese, but I think I get the picture.
If a newby posts a message ona ANY forum, and that message has already been heavily discussed before in prior threads, moderators DELETE THE THREAD
With no questions asked or answered.
I do that almost every day.
If the new users don't like it, sorry for them.
They are supposed to READ, before they jump in posting questions, that have already been answered.
I usually delete the posts, and if I see a second post from the same user, asking the same thing, I PM the user with a very simple text: "Please read the forums and the forum disclaimer, before you post. Thanks, -kwag"

That's all
When they reply to my PM, I don't reply back.
Making them post on the forum.
I also get MANY PM's from new users, that just register, and they want help with KVCD, WITHOUT posting on the forum
THese PM's I never reply.

So I suggest to all moderators, to just delete the offending posts.
Don't lock the threads, because this will polute the forum even more, with unnecessary useless threads.
And if they come back bitching again, saying why their post was deleted, delete them again.
If the issue continues, PM me and I'll ban the user/IP of the offender.

-Karl
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

10-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Free Member

Exactly the kind of solution I was thinking about.

We all already agreed earlier that the forum/site is about advanced video conversion and should be kept that way. The basic questions should be asked elsewhere, or be answered with the help of a simple search.
10-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Free Member

@Karl
I am deeply sorry to hear that Jorge doesn't want to join us in the forums any longer.
For me this is a very sensible issue because I had been helping him a little for the last few days.
I noticed this post from you, and all I can think of saying right now is that all the moderators of ALL the forums (whichever native language they speak) should be aware of it.
It shows your positioning when it comes to new posts and new threads to all users.
But I remind you that not all moderators have access to the moderators private forum.
And some would have some trouble understanding everything in your post as it might not be their native language.
So I think it would be wise that you would PM these words to all moderators.
Assuming that you would like to do so but that you don't have time to write it down in Portuguese, I took the liberty to translate your words to Portuguese with a little accent for Brazillian guys.
If you want to use it, show it to Mercy 1st and if she thinks it's ok go ahead and use it.
Again, I cannot tell you how sorry I am by learning that Jorge will no longer come to the forum.
I just hope that he will dedicate his time to some well deserved rest and to his family.
Maybe in sometime he will come back again after cooling down his head.
These have been tough weeks for him here.
One other thing I have thought of is that I think it would be good to have a Moderators forum invisible to other users in all Non-English speaking forums.
This way moderators could discuss how things are going and what they should do before things like Jorel<>FlavioMetal happen again.
But maybe I'm also being extra carefull and posting crazy ideas because I am a bit dizzy with all that has happened in last couple of days.
I would like to have your opinion (and all other mods opinion) on which measures we should implement to see that we never see mod vs mod again in a public area of the forum as that is what is giving me more trouble to handle right now.
I would like to end with some very wise words from a friend of ours:"Friendship is all"
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Não tenho tempo para ler todos os posts (além de não saber ler/escrever em Português).
De qualquer forma eu acho que já percebi o que se está passando.
Se um novato posta uma mensagem, em qualquer forum, que já foi intensamente discutida noutras threads, moderadores apaguem essa nova thread.
Sem fazerem nem responderem a nenhuma pergunta.
Eu faço isso quase todos os dias.
Se o novato não gostar disso, eu tenho pena, mas é assim mesmo.
É suposto que os novatos do forum LEIAM primeiro antes de irem logo postando perguntas que já foram respondidas.
Normalmente eu apago essas novas threads e seu eu vir que o novato inicia uma segunda thread com o mesmo assunto/pergunta eu mando uma MP para ele com um texto muito simples: "Por favor, leia os forums e o Disclaimer dos forums antes de postar uma nova thread. Obrigado. -kwag"
Assim mesmo
Quando eles respondem pra minha MP eu não respondo pra eles.
Assim eu os obrigo a postarem no forum.
Eu tambem recebo muitas MPs de novatos que acabaram agora mesmo de se registrarem e que estão querendo ajuda para encodarem em KVCD, SEM POSTAREM no forum.
Eu nunca respondo pra essas MPs.
Assim, eu sugiro a todos os moderadores que apaguem os posts que não seguem as regras dos nossos forums.
Não tranquem as threads pois isso vai contribuir ainda mais para a poluição do forum, com threads desnecessárias.
E se eles vierem novamente chorando que seu post foi apagado, apaguem o novo post.
Se o problema continuar, mandem uma MP pra mim e eu excluo o utilizador ou o seu IP de continuar se ligando ao forum.

-Karl
10-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
@Karl
I am deeply sorry to hear that Jorge doesn't want to join us in the forums any longer.
Hi Rui,

Where did Jorge say that
Quote:
But I remind you that not all moderators have access to the moderators private forum.
And some would have some trouble understanding everything in your post as it might not be their native language.
Assuming that you would like to do so but that you don't have time to write it down in Portuguese, I took the liberty to translate your words to Portuguese with a little accent for Brazillian guys.
Thanks for the translation Rui. Mercy is reading it now.
I think it's the best for everyone, and that will keep the forum cleaner.
If I were a newbie, and I would be searching this forum, I would become irritated if I found many posts that have no usefull information.
So I think the choice of post deletions is the best for all of us, and this way, we don't have to fall into any kind of argument because of replies.

-Karl
10-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
@Karl
Hi Rui,

Where did Jorge say that
Hi Karl,
That is what I understood from these words I read on the other moderators thread where Jorge was exchanging posts with Boulder.
I quote them here to see if you understand the same I did.
The relevant part is underlined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorel
...all my short contribution don't is recognized and i'm living here forever

a tout le monde, a tout les amis,
je vous aime, je dois partir
this are the last words
i'll ever speak

and they'll set me free.

by for all.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the translation Rui. Mercy is reading it now.
I think it's the best for everyone, and that will keep the forum cleaner.
If I were a newbie, and I would be searching this forum, I would become irritated if I found many posts that have no usefull information.
So I think the choice of post deletions is the best for all of us, and this way, we don't have to fall into any kind of argument because of replies.

-Karl
For the translation, you're welcome.
I'll always do whatever it takes to make our presence here the more enjoyable as possible.
And meanless threads is what "poisons" the search engine.
So I completely agree with you.
Meanless locked threads should be alive for no longer than 48hours.
That should be enough for everybody to take good notice that the thread is meanless and that the moderator has to lock it.
Afterwards it should be deleted.
At lest that's MHO.
Cheers buddy
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Free Member

Hey Rui

I could be wrong but I don't recall Jorel saying he is leaving (I could be wrong)

I think if you want to translate Karls words you should use the first and second paragraph and then start with "...Assim, eu sugiro a todos os moderadores..."that way everyone understands what kwag is trying to say.

It is my personal opinion that maybe this guy Flavio did not see the thread was closed and since he has moderators privileges, he went and posted his answer to Jorel, I remember that happened to me on a thread before, and it was just that I did not see the thread was closed, I just hit the reply button and answer, had I seen before that the thread was closed... I would have never answer. I don't know, I'm just giving this Flavio guy the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I agree with boulder up there, the forum should be kept on advance video conversion. I also agree with you that the ptgs forum is a bit of a mess and needs some att, I'll see what can be done about it, but in the mean time I soundly thank Jorel and the rest of the mods in that forum, for taking such good care of it.

GUYS, THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS

Ciao
Glänzend
10-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glänzend
Hey Rui

I could be wrong but I don't recall Jorel saying he is leaving (I could be wrong)
Hmm.
Maybe we posted at the same time
Have you check Jorel's quote on my last post up here?
I even underlined his most significant words.
I think he even made a small mistake by writing "living" when I think he wanted to write "leaving".
And then the French words and then he says that "these are the last words I'll ever speak".
Hope I'm the one who is wrong here

Quote:
I think if you want to translate Karls words you should use the first and second paragraph and then start with "...Assim, eu sugiro a todos os moderadores..."that way everyone understands what kwag is trying to say.
You mean you need help with that?
Ok I'll repost it to you by PM .

Quote:
It is my personal opinion that maybe this guy Flavio did not see the thread was closed and since he has moderators privileges, he went and posted his answer to Jorel, I remember that happened to me on a thread before, and it was just that I did not see the thread was closed, I just hit the reply button and answer, had I seen before that the thread was closed... I would have never answer. I don't know, I'm just giving this Flavio guy the benefit of the doubt.
Again, I could be wrong about this.
But I double checked that.
As a moderator browsing a locked thread I cannot see any "reply" buttons.
The only I can do is unlock the thread and then I can push the reply button.
You experienced a different phenomena because you're an administrator.
Unless this works different in the several sub-forums.

EDIT: I was wrong after all. I decidec to triple check and I did find the locked button instead of the reply button.
But once I pushed the locked button - that is in the exact same place where the reply button usually is - I found it does act as the reply button.
Meaning that only the name of the button is changed.
Meaning that any experienced user that already knows where the button is doesn't read it's caption he just pushes it because his subconscious tells him that the button he is clicking is most likely the reply button because of it's web page positioning.
Although I have not critised him, I owe Flavio an apology.

Quote:
Anyway, I agree with boulder up there, the forum should be kept on advance video conversion. I also agree with you that the ptgs forum is a bit of a mess and needs some att, I'll see what can be done about it, but in the mean time I soundly thank Jorel and the rest of the mods in that forum, for taking such good care of it.

GUYS, THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS

Ciao
Glänzend
It's crazy how we make bonds with people we don't actually know "in person".
Touching words I must say. And I do agree with you.
But I believe that not all of them PTG mods can read your words as not all of them have access to this part of the forum.
Maybe V can tell them afterwards as he is on both sides.
Cheers
10-10-2004, 04:06 AM
Free Member

First of all I want to say that Jorge is a great friend, not just my friend, but a friend of us all, and more than that a friend of this forum. He loves this place more than anything, and he must be extremely sad to say all that. I could never ever imagine the smallest possibility to hear Jorge say that he will leave this forum, especially the way it was. And I will be deeply sad if he leave us. No one wants that.

We all agree that the forum is for advanced video conversion. But the PT forum is turning into a mess out of control. There are not only newbies at video conversion, but many newbies at the “forum” stuff itself. I mean many people that don’t know how to behave, post, search and learn within a forum. This kind of people are everywhere, it’s not a “privilege” of the PT forum or the KVCD forum as a whole. There isn’t one single public forum on the net that do not suffer with this matter.

So the problem is that the situation is getting out of control. There are so MANY (bad) posts asking for the same problem that was answered a million times (including with tutorials) that the “search engine” is going to be completely useless in the future. To get an idea, just checking the title of the posts we can find many like this: “help!!!!” or “what do I do now???” or “this sh*t don’t work!!!”

Posts with this kind of titles show a complete disrespect or a complete ignorance to the forum mechanism as a whole. I never stop to read a post like this. Well, Jorge notice the way it was taking and tried (the best way he could) to help these people and especially to help the forum! Thinking this way I agree 100% with him that something was needed to be done… and he did! Or at least he tried… but all the threads that he closed were needed to be closed.

I agree that there are some posts from Jorge that may look rude, but some times is hard to keep been nice when you receive many boorish messages (private and public).

In my opinion the situation there is perfectly “fixable” (I don’t know the word for that). The solution is just to have better moderation “techniques”. The one Karl give us here is a perfect example of that. I’m sure that if all mods from PT forum were aware of Karl intentions and the way they should act in a situation like that, this situation would never get this far.

We also need to talk among us here. This private mod forum is another great tool. There are some of us here that are moderators in other forums, and some that this is the first time as a mod. So the more experienced ones know better the problems, the trouble situations and may be the best way to fix the problem.

Well, I really hope Jorge reconsider his decision to leave this place. If not, he will be deeply missed as a friend as a member and as a moderator.
10-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hi guys,

I got this PM from Jorel:
Quote:
oi V.

estou deicahndo o forum definitivamente e por favor reporte aos que por acaso perguntarem..
não vou mais logar e nem responder pms ou e- mails.
queria te pedir encarecidamente que faça um backup do uaivip e me mande um e-mail pois seu eu responderei. não precisa ter preça,não vou fazer nenhuma sacanagem co você pode fazer as coisas devagar mas me avise que vou inclusive mudar de provedora depois que você terminar de fazer o backup.

como meu inglês é péssimo por favor reporte ao Karl minha decisão e passe meu e-mail pro muaddib e o telefone:

jltoca@uai.com.br

0xx31 3594-1726

desde já agradeço V e agurado seu e-mail para que eu possa fazer as mudanças.....a gente se encontra por aí!

DEUS te abençoe!

Jorge
In English:
Quote:
Hi V.

I'm am leaving the forum definatelly, please inform those who may ask....
I will not logon again or reply PMs or emails.
I would like to ask you to backup uaivip and send me an email because I'll answer you. No need to hurry, I won't be a jerk to you, you can do things slowly but please warn be because I am changing ISP after you finish backing up.
As my english is very bad, please report Karl my decision and tell muaddib my email and phone number

jltoca@uai.com.br

0xx31 3594-1726

I already thank you and I am waiting for your email so I can make the changes.... I see you around!

GOOD bless you!

Jorge
Now this is very sad. I have already mailed Jorel suggesting he just "take a vacation of the forum" for a while, so he can come back when he misses the activity here. I sent it yesterday but got no reply yet. I think he got fed up with all this confusion, and I am in part gilty for this. Anyway, I'll try to call you tonight (I've ben working a lot in "real life" latelly), let's see if I can change his mind somehow.
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Free Member

@All,
I saw it coming...
I am also deeply sorry about this.
By the time Jorge asked me for help I should have PMed V, Muaddib and the rest of the guys there.
Maybe we could have synchronised our ideas and prevent this from happening .
Don't get me wrong about this.
I am as sorry for this happening with Jorge as I would be if it would have been with any of you guys.
It is my opinion that you all mean something very special to the forum.
But it's just that for me Jorge is the heart of the forum.
He is a very special user and moderator as he was always asking everybody for team work,cooperation and friendship.
With him or without him, the forums will keep online and working for the best of it's users, but I will personally miss him very much.
I would like to ask Karl to take the proper measures to see that this won't happpen again.
As Muaddib said, this (Moderators) private forum may well be a very useful tool for the future.
If all other Non-English based forums gain such a tool, cooperation between Mods will rise significantly IMHO.
But he will know more than anyone what is needed to do.
Personally I shall give you (all), all the help I can should you need it and ask for it in any circumstances.
Cheers
10-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Sorry Friends, as Im a bit busy these days and so I dont have the time to read all these discussions.

Could someone tell me in 2-3 sentences whats going on with jorge??
10-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Free Member

Hi Andrej,
Jorge had been trying to "clean up" the Portuguese sub forum.
Some users there don't have any principles and open new threads with something like:"Help, can't do a KVCD!!!"
Then he started to close some threads that weren't obbeying the forum rules.
A bunch of users got furious about that.
Then other moderators reopened threads that Jorge had already closed there.
It was a big mess...
Since Jorge didn't find enough people that would help him to put some sense into the PTG forum user's heads and since some moderators went publicly against his decisions he decided to leave the forum.
Well, that's about it
Maybe somebody else can explain you in more detail.
Cheers
10-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Free Member

I have to state that I wasn't against his decisions. I'm not a mod at the Pt forum so I can't tell anybody over there what to do. Especially since I don't understand any other words than 'obrigado'.

Jorge pointed his rage towards me when I told him to take a little rest as he was getting more and more frustrated and involved and didn't even sleep just to stay logged in. He also misinterpreted a couple of my words quite totally and I'm not sure if he understood them even after I explained them to him, as that was the point when he decided to leave.

He's a hard one to deal with when he gets upset as he often refuses to listen/read carefully, but I guess that's just the nature of the South American people

I hope he finally finds his peace and then decides to return - when the time is right.
10-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Free Member

Let me remind you that the last time we (you Boulder and I) tried to discuss with Jorel that was the D2Roba toppic. Exactly the same thing happens then !

So don't worry, he will be back in a while.
10-11-2004, 06:24 AM

Also as a PT forum moderator, I was never against Jorge's decisions, and I plubically supported him. I just didn't like the aggressive way he treated users and other mods sometimes. I now recognize I got a little scared and actually some people may have deserved the words Jorel posted for them. But I never was against Jorge's idea.
10-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Free Member

Hi guys ,
We are all right on the things we're saying but the truth is that we left him on his own to take care of dozens of users that didn't show much respect for him or his actions at that time.
Even I only helped him in a couple of posts, but as he told us he was receiving LOTS of PMs and had a load of posts to take care of, over there.
I don't intend to critisize us.
Jorel is/was a Mod and he sure was a good one, so he should have been ok alone by himself.
But sometimes it seems the whole world is against us.
And I must remind myself that unfortunately there was also the FlavioMetal issue (quite a nice fellow BTW) that really upset Jorge as it did upset me too.
We all (Mods) find it already difficult when a user says we're wrong when it comes to manners and moderating rules, but it's even more difficult when we see a fellow Mod reopening a thread we locked with no apparent motive and no PM...
As said in a previous post, Mercy was probably right when she said that it was probably due to a phpBB button that can act as "reply" even when it's caption reads "Locked"
Anyway the same thing had already happened between Mercy and Jorge.
The poor guy would never dream it would happen to him twice.
So I hope he settles down and come back one of these days after a well deserved forum vacations.
I already sent him an email but have had no reply since then.
Vinicius, please keep us informed in case Jorge communicates with you at least to know that he's fine
After all he said he will only answer your emails.
Cheers guys.
10-12-2004, 11:33 PM

hi my dears...first let me quote this pm:
title: Cara, tu é fora de série!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo78
Como eu não tenho nenhuma dúvida faz algum tempo, gosto de entrar no fórum português só pra dar uma olhada nos threads. Bem, foi assim que descobri uma nova forma de diversão barata e instrutiva: Estou lendo todos os threads que vc fechou só pra ver as tuas respostas e a última que eu li foi a do GIL, que deu o número do ICQ pra alguém ajudar ele. Meu, tuas respostas são de deixar o vivente comatoso por uns dias, espero nunca fazer nada pra não ter que tomar uma delas, huahuahua

Abras, Geras.
Geras is talking about that thread: http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....&highlight=icq
Correia, muaddib or V please, translate no need a complete translation only the general idea and show here very clear how much i was angry!..is the resume of what i'm doing and why i did things like that! are my words coming from a portuguese forum user.
i have lots of problems like that!.....really boring !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Let me remind you that the last time we (you Boulder and I) tried to discuss with Jorel that was the D2Roba toppic. Exactly the same thing happens then !

So don't worry, he will be back in a while.
i was not wrong cos tylo did 3 special versions of d2sroba for me that DO multipass vbr! you don't have, the world don't have but i have!
send pm with you e-mail and i send to you !

@Boulder
send pm with your e-mail and i send for you too.

@ Kwag and all mods
the same...pm with mail and got!

OT dvd-rb is a trash! d2s is working perfect and with that roba that tylo build for me i got perfect size choosing 200Mb at 4.5Gb! not a single Mb losse!
OT out

after you read what i happen in portuguese forum you will see why i'm so angry.... and sad at the same time.
i call you all for help...help not menas posting there for who can't read and write in portuguese but help means: we can do this...we can do that....CHANGING INFORMATIONS with friends and not with absent mods that don't came to help or criticize without understand what is happening!

if Karl excuse me i want ot post this examples, i like to work as anonimous(in secret) but the situations needs that i write it:
Phil, Bouder, V, GFR, Labomba i did sugestions and Karl put you all as mod (and others that i can't remember) and this forum here ...the modss- forum was my suggestion too! i'm always trying to do my best for this place with this horrible english...is like one of you that can't read and write in portuguese came to one forum in Brasil and ttry to write.....you will feel how hard is to write ,read and help in one language that you don't understand. it's an invitation for mods that don't know portuguese...is hard or easy? well i'm here for more than 2 years and Karl was and is more than a friend,is like a brother and in my first steps here when the forum had less than 200 posts and less than 200 members(i'm uncertain but i can find old threads saved here) i was here reading cos the idea of the forum seems amazing in 2002 and the result is that big forum that we can do miracles like NO OTHER forum in the world can got our qquality in our space used, no matter if a single cdr or dvd media!
another one that i can forget is muaddib that help mr thousandsa times with kindness and decication with my person ,teach me fitcd step by step months before the first MovieStacker and he wrote a complete tutor in word and send form me by mail.
al the others have help me a lot and i have proud of this place and team then....don't leave me alone fighting with some users that was posting trash....Correia help me a lot but the arrogants DON'T WANT to listen what Correia write and still fighting with me!
i'm not paranoic( ahahhh.wwho knows? ) paranoia is true enemy or false friend?
i will you help me and i don't want to loose any user but don't want to mod a dirty forum where my and others mods dedication is fading!
search the threads that i close a nd see that ALL was needed to be closed!

thank you boys..i "talk" to much but you all know that a loooong time!
GOD bless you!

hey...i have 3 pms to read that came when i was writing this post...are from Karl and 2 from muaddib! (this post is the reason that i was late to answer the pms)
10-13-2004, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo78 (in english)
Title: Man, you're amazing!!!!!
Because I haven't any doubts latelly, I like to visit the portuguese forum just to look at the threads. Well, that's how I found a new cheap and instructive way to have fun: I'm reading all the threads you locked just to see your answers and the last one I read was from GIL, the guy who gave his ICQ number so someone could help him. My god, your replies could put the guy in coma for some days, I hope I don't do anything to deserve one of them, lol.

[]'s
Gras