Quantcast Programming: Purebasic Data Base - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Free Member

I purchased Purebasic some months ago, but have been unable to find database management functions similiar to xbase.

I have written extensively in Clipper and dBase and would like to find something with similiar commands.

Love Purebasic, but have found few people accessing large databases (100K+ records) with multiple indices. Most add-on libraries seem very complicated and too expensive to experiment with.

I would like to be able to utilize xbase type commands, preferably with DBF files like used by Clipper.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Free Member

Hi nicksteel,

That's has been available here for a while
http://www.planetsquires.com/cheetah.htm
(Although a little expensive )

-kwag
11-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Free Member

Thanks, Kwag.

I'll download their demo and try it out. Just trying to run under windows with xbase without the complexity and structures of packaged systems. I have no problem with detail coding (30 years experience from assembly level thru basic and xbase), but wish to stay more "DOS" than true windows. Most of the windows packages seem to spend more time with windows properties than logic development.
11-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Free Member

I was on the edge to talk about Clipper and dBase but I see that you already know them

Good old days...
11-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
I was on the edge to talk about Clipper and dBase but I see that you already know them

Good old days...
Yeah. I've written a lot of Clipper based systems. The recursive nature of Clipper allows multi layer databases and its ability to link with C routines makes it a very powerful tool. The ability to "drill down" into data is very good. Over the years, I've written a lot of data access and graphic routines that would be very hard to duplicate in most languages.

Many of my applications are in project controls for engineering and construction efforts. If one needs to link 20,000 isometric drawings to a critical path system like Primavera, with multiple indices, it is very effective. Data handling is simplified, so you can concentrate your efforts on data algorithms rather than esthetics. A whole procedure or function can often become a one line equation with "&" routines and variables.

I would very much like to have the "look and feel" of windows, but cannot meet my needs outside low level xbase commands. I'll continue to try to hide Clipper inside windows.
11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksteel
Most of the windows packages seem to spend more time with windows properties than logic development.
OMG, someone who thinks just like me
I agree 10000%
I HATE the GUI work. It's 90% of stupidity, instead of concentration on the actual application mechanics.
I guess that's why I prefer to program "behind the curtain", like on unix systems, text mode apps, daemons, etc

-kwag