Quantcast DVRs: Lite-on Lvw-5005 'All Write' DVD Recorder - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Free Member

Anyone has some feedback on this thing
http://www.cdrlabs.com/articles/index.php?articleid=29

Because it records to:
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
CD-R/CD-RW
VCD and SVCD
And it's $289.99 at CompUSA

-kwag
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Free Member

Yeah I've had one of these and since replaced it.

If you use the built in tuner then audio is recorded only in mono, no stereo. Recorded picture quality is pretty good, but playback isn't.. the picture becomes somewhat fuzzy and not very well defined. That includes playing back shop bought dvd's.

I had the UK version with scart connectors, svhs and AV inputs.. there is no scart pass through available, and output is AV through the scart.. no RGB ability for display which probably explains the lack of definition on playback, it will accept an RGB signal to record from though such as a sat box connected to the input scart.

All in all it's not bad for the price, and you definately do get what you pay for.. I picked up a Pioneer DVR-220 for a few quid more which allthough is -R/RW only gives a far better recording and playback with additional features.
01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Free Member

Thanks scrappy
Did you ever make a recording on CD-R, as VCD or SVCD
I'd like to see a small sample, because I can't find any one the net.
I also read last night that Lite-On just came out with the model LVW-5020, which is basically the same but also has an internal 80GB hard drive.
The price for that is around $400.00, and that's very good compared to the Panasonic DMRs.

-kwag
01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Free Member

This is the chipset inside this machine: http://www.eeproductcenter.com/micro...cleID=17100285

-kwag
01-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Free Member

I couldn't resist, so I went to CompUSA with a blank CD-RW, and asked to hook up the LVW-5005 to their TV system so I could record a VCD.
I was already aware of the recording quality of this device on DVD, but I couldn't find a VCD MPEG-1 anywhere.
Even after searching hundreds of posts on other forums.
The final result result: I bought the unit in a wink
Came home, hooked it to my DVB Satellite receiver, tuned up a WB channel (not one of the best transponders in quality, as you'll see some blocks on action, which were also present on the source), and here you have it
http://www.kvcd.net/downloads/LVW-5005-vcd.mpg
I extracted that from the VCD I created with this device (demuxed and cut with TMPEG) and that's what you get with this machine on a CD-RW.
Now I'll probably patch the firmware with the Macrovision removal and a 3 hour mode firmware that I found here: http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/redire...ews/liteon.htm
This machine will be perfect for ALL ~1 hour TV episodes

Edit: I'll record some better samples later tonight, from a higher quality transponder.
(Can't now. Wife's on the TV )

-kwag