Quantcast Sansgrip's Filters, Opinions about Blockbuster Used in Every Script - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Free Member

I was just wondering if there are any negative effects of using blockbuster for all my scripts, besides added "noise" and an increase in file size.

The reason I ask is I have backed up a couple of my dvd's, and I am having trouble with scenes that are all black, with text. This usually happens during the intro credits and the end credits, or when the movie is divided into "chapters", and the title of the next "chapter" in the movie is displayed. During these parts, the playback is fine, but the text is usually displayed in several locations on the screen, simutaneously. It is very annoying and is hard to read. This only happens on my standalone, and I have tried several other players, and tried raising my min. bitrate.

Well I used blockbuster for a fairly dark movie, and I noticed this stuttering or displacement of the text was gone during the beginning of the movie, and during the credits. I went back and used blockbuster on a documentary I had problems with previously, and now the problem is totally gone.

I still don't know if this is a fluke or not, but I am thinking about using it for every script to prevent any problems in the future. I am just wondering if there are disadvantages or ideas as to why I may only want to use it on dark movies or lower resolution backups.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Do you mean a "ghost" effect?
01-25-2005, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretagun
I was just wondering if there are any negative effects of using blockbuster for all my scripts, besides added "noise" and an increase in file size.
No there is not, except to add too much noise (visible noise) if the parameters are too high.

Quote:
It is very annoying and is hard to read. This only happens on my standalone, and I have tried several other players, and tried raising my min. bitrate.
Yeah, that is reported on some standalones. Nice to know that blockbuster is a solution to avoid this !

@rui
No, he does means a duplicate effect ! Some people reported taht yet. When you have a blck screen with a little part only that is white, this part is displayed in the four corners of the screen !
01-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
@rui
No, he does means a duplicate effect ! Some people reported taht yet. When you have a blck screen with a little part only that is white, this part is displayed in the four corners of the screen !
*g*
Never seen such effect.
Nevertheless I'll note that the solution is adding noise
Thanks Phil
Cheers
01-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
@rui
*g*
Never seen such effect.
Nevertheless I'll note that the solution is adding noise
Thanks Phil
Cheers
Something to do with a too low bitrate?
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
Something to do with a too low bitrate?
Not sure :
Quote:
This only happens on my standalone, and I have tried several other players, and tried raising my min. bitrate.
01-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Free Member

It would be very interesting to test. I'm not too sure the encoders can actually keep a certain minimum bitrate when there's just too little to quantize. Isn't that what Inc found when he played with his KeepMinBitrate function?
01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Yup! I never saw such a visual effekt of white typo on a black Backgr. but its a fact that also CCE doesn't keep the min bitrate setted in the options in some cases like libavcodec, thats why I did that keepminbitrate function.
I never had probs in DVDmode even bitrates go below 200kbit. But for some sensible players that function "should" work. But its nonsens if users say "in libavcodec my player cant handle very low bitrate scenes and with CCE I dont have Probs"... If you want to force the encoder directly to keep a min bitrate then this can be done eith TmpgEncs "padding" option. And also PeterCheats implementation to Libavcodec to keep the min Bitrate (also padding in here I guess).
01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Free Member

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the responses. So far this "solution" is working for what I want to do, so I am happy again