Quantcast Pcgedit Settings for Authoring DVD? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Free Member

Hi Guys,

I just made a 2DVD movie to 1KDVD.

I authored the DVD with DVD-Lab and I added a couple of trailers in the beginning of the DVD that play first before the menu.

The problem I have is on the second and last trailer I would like to be able to use the skip button on the remote to jump straight to the menu.

The first trailer will skip to the second trailer fine if I use the skip next on the SAP remote but the second trailer won't jump to the menu if I press the 'Next' button.

Is there a way I could edit the commands in PCGEdit so that it would accept the 'Next' button to make it jump to the main menu?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Michael.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Free Member

I think your problem comes from the diff between a VTSM and a VMG menu. If your menu is a VMG one, I fear you can't jump from a video (a trailer) directly to the Menu.

See there to have a idea about VMG/VTSM...

EDIT: I forgot the link !
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tu.../multivts.html
03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Free Member

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

As a matter of fact I do have a VMG menu but I needed that so that I could have a Play List for a Play All function.

So are you saying that I cannot jump from a video clip to a VTS menu?

This is strange as I've seen this done with Disney DVD's where they have trailers and the repeated pressing of the 'Next' skip button on your remote skips quickly past the trailers then onto the main menu.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a dummy movie that has a black screen and is only 1 second long.

Thanks for your help and info Phil.

Michael.
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon
So are you saying that I cannot jump from a video clip to a VTS menu?
To a VGM Menu. At least, not with the skip button.

Quote:
This is strange as I've seen this done with Disney DVD's where they have trailers and the repeated pressing of the 'Next' skip button on your remote skips quickly past the trailers then onto the main menu.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a dummy movie that has a black screen and is only 1 second long.
Actually The last trailer is then link to a "shadow" VTS menu (a menu with no button and a timeout set to 0 second) that is itself linked to the VGM menu.
That is what I use also when I author my DVDs. But you can't add this aftwerward with PGC edit.

Note: I edited the firstpost with the link to mediachance help about VMG/VTSM
03-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much Phil for the link and for your help.

What I did just now to overcome this problem was to make a 1 second movie with just a Black screen and that movie linked to the menu and that seemed to work well.

I shall also try authoring a test DVD with a shadow VTS as you suggested.

On thing that annoys me with DVD-Lab though is when you have Chapters and you keep skipping to the next chapter, if you exceed the last chapter instead of the movie staying where it is, it tends to go to the next movie which for me; 1) looks unprofessional and 2) is really annoying.

Again Phil thank you for your time on helping me with my problems

Michael.
03-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon
What I did just now to overcome this problem was to make a 1 second movie with just a Black screen and that movie linked to the menu and that seemed to work well.
Did you do that with PGCEdit ?
I knew you can skip and change things, but not add things
03-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Free Member

No Phil I used DVDShrink.

What I did was to RIP the beginning section of the MGM logo from one of my DVD's (Which is a black screen as you know ) and then I used the Re-Author in Shrink, then I just used 'Set Start/End Frames' and I used the end frame just 1 second from the start.

So I got a nice 1 second black screen Video clip, I entered the resulting VOB into DVD-Lab it demuxed it for me and I added the movie without the audio and it worked fine for me.

EDIT: That didnt work either I couldn't skip between the last trailer to the next video clip, so what I did was to add a movie segment and I put the last Trailer on that first the I added the 1 second clip.

Now if I press skip the trailer will skip to the blank screen thinking its a new chapter and then straight onto the menu.

Michael.