Quantcast Recording Video with ADVC 1394 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Free Member

Has anyone tried the ADVC 1394 for Mpeg2 capture?
I've been looking at it for a while now and it looks like it might be ok for what i want.
I want to convert a library of VHS tapes and future Digital 8 tapes to KDVD.
The process will be - VCR/Digital 8 camcorder to the capture card, Capturing at the highest bitrate, then re-encoding the Mpeg2 with TMPGEnc using the 720x576 KDVD template and then authoring with Dvd Lab Pro. It seems to have all the ports that i need - S-Video, 2 RCA Audio L/R, Firewire and DV. I'm not to sure about the sort of quality possible or how high the bitrate goes for capture. Also, are there any overheating problems with it and does it crash if static is played through it?

I chose this one in paticular because i wanted it to go inside the the pc, not a seperate box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here it is :- http://www.canopus-uk.com/US/product..._advc-1394.asp
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Free Member

Well it certainly looks cool, I have been after a capture card for ages but have yet had the money to buy one.

I am going to soon though buy the Hauppauge WinTV PVR250 PCI TV Card. I have been told by the guys in the know here that it is a pretty good capture card and the price is very reasonable also.

Hopefully someone will be able to advise you on the capture card you mentioned.

Michael.
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Free Member

Cheers Zyphon. I was gonna get the PVR350 but then realised that, like the 250, it doesn't have any digital video ports, only analogue (s-video and composite). Also it only has a stereo audio jack for audio input, no RCA.
But if your not worried about that then go for it. I've also heard it's a good card.
Kwag has recommended it to someone himself, so it must be good.
06-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Free Member

Hi Rab,

I also saw another capture card that I liked called: 'DVD Express - USB 2.0 external box.' Unfortunately it is external USB 2.0 so no good for you but I liked the look of it & at £60 odd quid not a bad price.

Check it out >Here<

Michael.
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Free Member

Hmm. Looks good for the price but it has no digital input capabilities and yeah, it's external.
But that's gotta be the cheapest one i've seen. cheers for that.
06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
The only Problem is: DV!
DV at NTSC comes in 4:1:1 colorspace .... sorry to say but the biggest chromasubsampling crap available. Even worse than 4:2:0.

You shouldnt bother about a firewire connection. Get that one separately AND choose for digitizing a proofed hardware like the PVR250 mentioned by Zyphon or a much less expensive Philips 7134 Chip based captureCard.

PVR250 = mpeg2 Capture = less size but already heavier DC Transformation AND 4:2:0 mpeg2 Colorspace, quarter chroma freq size!

7134 = depending on YUY2 Codec (4:2:2) bigger size Output but best quality as all TV cards do serve YUY2 (4:2:2) over their A/D converter.
On the one side you need a standard fast CPU for YUY2 Capturing (depending on codec) BUT on the other hadn you can enjoy the support of a wide range of nice capture softwares like the new Vdub incl. WDM Driver Support
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Free Member

Thanks as always for your great knowledge with Capture cards, I appreciate your input here.

I am going to get the PVR250 as soon as I can afford one (not that long now, bills have been paid ), you and Karl recommended this card for me ages ago and I have always intended getting this one, I have loads of VHS camcorder's of my kids growing up that I want to put on DVD before a VCR chews them up.

No doubt Inc, I will be driving you nuts when I get it asking for help countless times until I get it right.

Thanks again.

Michael.
06-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
DV at NTSC comes in 4:1:1 colorspace ....
I'll be capturing in PAL so that won't concern me, right?
Quote:
You shouldnt bother about a firewire connection. Get that one separately....
My pc has a firewire connection on the front and back of it so can i use that in conjunction with the pvr250 to capture from my digital camcorder? If so, how can i do this? Does the card automatically link to the firewire when you plug it in to the pci slot?

The audio input on the 250 concerns me. Am i right in thinking that RCA input is better quality than the standard stereo jack?
Also Inc, is the only difference between the 250 and the 350 that the 350 has a hardware decoder and video out?
Finally, what is the name of that free capture program that a lot of people use here? I'm sure it's win something. I dunno.

@ Zyphon
Have you seen this deal?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=35889
Have you seen one cheaper?
06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Free Member

Hi rab,

Wow that is the best price I have seen so far.

I was going to buy mine from >Here< and it's slightly dearer, I usually get all my pc stuff here.

Michael.
06-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I'll be capturing in PAL so that won't concern me, right?
Ok, but youll still deal with 4:2:0 on interlaced contend maybe, thats a mess.
So IF you got DV PAL streams do at least use Scharfis_Brain's function "Reinterpolate DV 4:2:0" at forum.doom9.org

Quote:
My pc has a firewire connection on the front and back of it so can i use that in conjunction with the pvr250 to capture from my digital camcorder? If so, how can i do this? Does the card automatically link to the firewire when you plug it in to the pci slot?
Cant you connect your Digital Device directly via Firewire and using a Software to extract the Data out of it?
Quote:
The audio input on the 250 concerns me. Am i right in thinking that RCA input is better quality than the standard stereo jack?
On such a semi-professional cheap stuff where also analogue Sound is capped out of a source where its not guaranteed that the deliver of the ausio is excellent. A very clean and good connection via standard jack is ok. You wont get any other Gain in case of capture hardwares.
Quote:
Also Inc, is the only difference between the 250 and the 350 that the 350 has a hardware decoder and video out?
I think the only diff. is the onboard decoder presence.
Quote:
Finally, what is the name of that free capture program that a lot of people use here? I'm sure it's win something. I dunno.
VirtualDub and VirtualVCR .... but BOTH dont support the PVR 250's onboard compression unit AFAIK. These Apps. are the first choice if a BT878 or Philips7134 Card will be your purchase.
06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Free Member

@Inc

Hi buddy,

This card comes with ULead DVD Movie Factory is that only good for Authoring or can it be used for capturing?

You said that VirtualDub and VirtualVCR don't work with the PVR250 are there any freeware capturing tools that do?

Failing that could you recommend any commercial software that I could use to capture with this device.

Thanks again Inc for you knowledge on capturing I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions, I need to learn more about capturing.

Michael.
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Cant you connect your Digital Device directly via Firewire and using a Software to extract the Data out of it?
I don't know. The camera did come with capture sofware but i haven't really played around with it. Plus i don't yet have a firewire cable. I don't even know if it captures to AVI or MPEG2. I just thought if i get a card which does eveything, then i'd be sorted. So can i use my pc firewire port with the 250?

Quote:
A very clean and good connection via standard jack is ok.
That's ok then.
Quote:
I think the only diff. is the onboard decoder presence.
Oh right. So is THIS correct then?
1 x display / video - S-video input & 1 x display / video - composite video input - RCA & 1 x TV antenna - input & 1 x radio - FM input & 1 x audio - line-In - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm & 1 x audio - line-In - RCA x 2 & 1 x audio / video
Source:- Ebuyer.com

Quote:
Quote:
VirtualDub and VirtualVCR .... but BOTH dont support the PVR 250's onboard compression unit AFAIK. These Apps. are the first choice if a BT878 or Philips7134 Card will be your purchase.
Nah, it's not those two. Oh i can't remember what it's called.
Can you sugest a free capture software that is compatible with the 250/350?
Cheers

@Zyphon
Glad i found it for you then.
06-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Free Member

According to Capture Software for the PVR other than the original you should ask Kwag or Boulder, as both do got that card.
06-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
@Zyphon
Glad i found it for you then.
Yeah thanks mate, I know it's only a fiver but at least that is a fiver extra in my pocket.

Michael.