Quantcast Is Possible to Force 1x or 2x Burn on my Gsa-4082b ? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Free Member

EDIT: I posted on the wrong forum -_- . I left-clicked on Disk Drives instead of DVD Drives >.> <.< . Any moderator could move this please ? thanks

Hello!

Well, consider the following situation: I have nero 6.6.0.15 (the last one). And I have successful burnt data on a medium RIDATA-A (lets call this one "medium A"). So, using this medium A, nero allows me writing at 2x (if I try 4x I get an error). I burnt it successful. But, I am now out of "mediums-A", i have it no more...

So I tried a medium RIDATA-B (lets call it "medium B") wich is labelled 8x. But,nero only allows me two ways: 4x or 8x. And both leads to the same error!! I am almost sure that If I can burn it at 2x it will succeed!

This is the error:

Well... If the medium supports 8x, should support 2x!! At least seems logical to me. My dvd writer is a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B A209 (firmware A209).

I´ve already tried: remove nero and possible conflict programs (like dvd-fab). I installed NTI 7.0 platinum trial. It updated the ATAPI drivers and rebooted. Nevertheless, it tries to burn only at 4x and 8x too. I got an error message (that it could not burn it) =/

What could I do ? How can I "force" nero to burn at 2x?

best regards
sparskter

EDIT: I posted on the wrong forum -_- . I left-clicked on Disk Drives instead of DVD Drives >.> <.< . Any moderator could move this please ? thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Free Member

You can't.
This is the media that tells the buning software which are the speed it supports. And contrary to what you think, the more max speed grows, the more the low speed grows also (it's difficult to have a drye that can react to hight speed "flashing" and also support long exposure to the laser for very low speed).

This is somehow a bad info for all owner of "old" 4x burner because media that go out of the production units now are 4x - 16x. 8x - 24x are for a near future...
07-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Free Member

This is reaaly bad though, manufacturers are forcing users to upgrade our burners and in some cases PC's and HDD to support these greater speeds, I think they should still cater for lower speed burners.

Mind you the PC markey has to me always been a rip-off market forcing you to upgrade evey six months or a least a year because the technology is get outdated.

It is certainly like this in the games market with constantly needing to update Graphics cards to take advantage of newer games.

Michael.
07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Free Member

-LOL- it is "media" not "medium" sorry the really bad english mistake

That is really bad Time to go out for a new Pioneer or Sony (any suggestion )

Well, I found someone to buy my 50 media thought. But I found a nice thing:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.ph...&&next=50#next

this is a direct link to a media compatibility list for my dvd burner. You can verify to yours too. There are many models. Well, using this freeware:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

I ´ve berified that the "bad media" has the "media code": RITEK G05

well, then I just figured out: why not identify my good media ? The ones that burnt very well ? Then I found that the "good ones" have the media code RITEK G04.

Well. I ´ll have to change my dvd burner anyway.

best regards.

sparskter
07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Free Member

I have one suggestion buy any burner except one with Sony written on it.

Michael.
04-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
You can't.
This is the media that tells the buning software which are the speed it supports. And contrary to what you think, the more max speed grows, the more the low speed grows also (it's difficult to have a drye that can react to hight speed "flashing" and also support long exposure to the laser for very low speed).

This is somehow a bad info for all owner of "old" 4x burner because media that go out of the production units now are 4x - 16x. 8x - 24x are for a near future...
Hello, long time ))))

Now you can!!!
http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

Quote:
MediaCodeSpeedEdit allows you to change the write speed for your media and to add new media codes to your firmware by renaming an already available media code. The new media code name can be entered manually or can be imported from the DVD Identifier media code output to be sure that no special characters are lost. This kind of media code renaming will remove the original media code name from the patched firmware, so it is no longer supported by the firmware.

Real adding of additional media code names would mean to shift and extend all internal media code tables or patching all media code scanner for all supported firmwares, which would be a quite complex task.

MCSE allows strategy swapping to increase the write speed by double clicking the media code and selecting an alternative write strategy from a list. Depending on the firmware this swapping is lossless, which means the media code of the choosen, usually faster write strategy is not changed. On some firmwares this swapping is done by renaming the media codes, so the choosen media code can not be used anymore.
But now I have already bought a brand new burner.

best regards

sparskter
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Free Member

I didn't think this information was stored in the firmware.
04-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Free Member

yes it is. And that's why there is non official versions of a lot of dvd burner firmware, that change that: they 'tweak' the speed of some medias.

Fabrice
04-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Free Member

What happens when the burner does not know the media then ? It uses default values and that is the reason why some media are incompatible with some burner and vice-versa ?
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Free Member

I guess it uses a generic write strategy. The firmware also contains different strategies which is why some drives like a certain media better than others and why compatibility with a certain media can improve over firmware updates. With some drives (Lite-On is one of them) you can also force the drive to use a write strategy meant for some other media.
04-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Free Member

God damn interesting information .
Thanks