Quantcast Authored DVD does Not Play on Standalone DVD Player? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-23-2005, 05:24 AM
Free Member

Having been on the KVCD front for a quite some time, I'm now relatively new to KDVD.

I've made a total of 3 DVDs now but am having problems with the last one I did.

It is a one-movie DVD and I've authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 then burnt it to disc using Nero (as with the others before it). The actual content of the burnt DVD is:-

Folders
AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS

VIDEO_TS contains
VIDEO_TS.bup 8KB
VIDEO_TS.ifo 8KB
VTS_01_0.bup 152KB
VTS_01_0.ifo 152KB
VTS_01_0.vob 3,232KB
VTS_01_1.vob 1,048,404KB
(the same for each file up to VTS_01_4.vob)
VTS_01_5.vob 347,220KB

As far as I can tell, this is a perfectly acceptable file structure for a DVD. Indeed, it is pretty similar to other discs I have made and own. I therefore don't understand why this particular disc cannot be read in my Standalone when others from the same batch can be.

If it's in any way relevant, I set up a very basic menu via TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 to show a still from the movie and nothing more. This is the content of VTS_01_0.vob

If there is some way to make this disc usable then I'd be grateful to learn how. It's strange cos it can be played fine via PowerDVD (but with Media Player Classic and WMP there is no sound).

Any help is most appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Free Member

What happens when you put this disc into your standalone ?
07-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Free Member

When I put it in my standalone (Yakumo) it remains at the 'loading' stage and makes a clickin noise about once every second as it seeks to identify the disc. It never gets past this stage.

When I put it into the DVD drive I burnt it from, it makes a couple of clicks (not normal, compared to the other DVD's in that batch) but eventually finds the DVD data.

If I play it with PowerDVD, it plays ok. However, the menu part I constructed never seems to show up - it just launches straight into the actual movie.

If I use WMP or MPC, then the same is true minus audio.
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Free Member

This kind of behaviour happens to me when I reauthor a DVD with DVDShrink and try to turn a FBI warning (for instance) into a still picture. It seems that sometimes players do not like still picture.

I never read that Tmpeg DVD Author gives bad result, but perhaps you just find one problematic situation.

Try either to shrink your DVD with DVDSrhink, or to proceed your menu throught menushrink. This can perhaps correct the problem.
07-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to phuquehair Send a message via Yahoo to phuquehair
I have had this same problem at times when I was trying to compile too many kdvd at the same time. for some reason the folder structure had become corrupt. You may want to just reauthor your project and make a new ISO. Hopefully you saved the project and can just load it. Mkae sure this time that you don't have very many cpu eating programs running when you begin output. Also, try to burn your kdvd at lowest speed available. I have found many errors from burning at higher than 6x.
07-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Free Member

Thanks for both your replies.

@ phuquehair
I did burn the DVD at 8x so maybe I'll retry at a slower speed. I'll also try to ensure I don't have many other programs in the background. However, I do have other DVD's burnt at the same speed that work just fine.

@ all
so, as I say I'm a little new to the DVD Authoring stage of things. I don't have the project saved on my PC, but I do have the DVD disc containing all the VOBs. I am now looking for a way to take those VOBs (at least the 4 that contain the main movie) and author a new disc. How do I go about that? TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't like VOB input.

I did read somewhere that a VOB file is just a MPG renamed. Would it be possible to just alter the file extensions and reathor via TMPGEnc?
07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Free Member

You can import a complete DVD structure into TDA (there is a button "Add DVD Video").

Or ripp the Vobs files as a big single 4GB file (using DVDDecrypter for instance) and use DVDLabPro.

Do not rename the vob file, it is just for some specific tool and if nothing else can be done.