Quantcast Programming: Vb.net Message Pump Help - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Free Member

hi,

im trying to make a kdvd batch encoder in vb.net, everything works great but i got a slight niggle im hopin u can help me with

im using shell cmds with wait=true to go thorugh the various steps

vdub (audio extraction)
besweet (audio)
quenc(vid)
pulldown (if needed)
bbmpeg (muxing)

the main thing is id like to include a log file tab but on shell executing the form just whites out and is not responsive , after many searches on google i think it has something to do with message pump , but cant for life of me find any code on it.

im a noob @ programming and everything so far ive found by google search but cant figure this one.

can someone offer some insight as to where im going wrong please
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

08-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Hi powie,

You're going to have to find out a way to redirect "stdout" of your program to a pipe, where you can capture the log.
The reason is that while your external program is executing, you loose control until it returns.
So if the running program can write to a pipe, then you can capture it on the upper forking (main calling) program.
Hope you understand what I mean.
Can't give you any more help, because I don't do any .Net programming.

-kwag
08-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Free Member

after a little googling stdout does seem the way i need to go

guess i got a lot of learning to do

thanks for the nudge in the right direction