Quantcast Avisynth: Frameserve to a Remote PC? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Firstly I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, if not then I'm sure someone will move it

Ok, what I want to know is, is it possible to take an AviSynth script and run it on a local pc to pre-process the video and then frameserve that to an encoder running on another remote pc. Reason been I have a friend who's offered me the use of a dual opteron box for encoding, only its like 200 miles from me

It's running Linux (Debian 64bit edition), so I would assume mencoder would be the best encoder to use on it. I am proficient with Linux/Unix systems so grabbing stuff and compiling it etc ain't a problem, just not sure if this is possible or what I would need.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy
only its like 200 miles from me
Then you can forget it
If that computer was on your LAN, then it wouldn't be a problem.
Being far away, you would have to frameserve the raw video to his machine, and then after that huge transfer (encode), go pick up the encoded file 200 miles away or transfer it back
By that time, you probably have already encoded 10 movies on your single CPU machine

-kwag
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
If that computer was on your LAN, then it wouldn't be a problem.
So it is possible to frameserve avisynth from a windows box to a linux box then? I have a couple of Gentoo servers on my lan both P4 2.8 (prescott) boxes, you've got me thinking now