Quantcast Avisynth: Some Questions about the Optimal VHS Script - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Free Member

I've been using the optimal VHS script, but had to make some alterations because it doesn't work on my pc as posted in this forum. Specifically:

When I use unfilter on the first line, I get an error message and tmpgenc can't encode. But if I place unfilter after faerydust, it works. So does the order of filters really matter in a script? I'm assuming it does, so why won't unfilter work here if it's on the first line?

Also, Gripfit doesn't work at all. It causes tmpgenc to shut right down. If I remove it, all works fine. Again, what's the problem?

Lastly, perhaps I'm an ignoramus, but I only see 4 parameters for stmedianfilter as defined by moviestacker, yet the script contains 6. What's that all about?

Does anyone know the answers to the above problems? I have a ton of old home movies on VHS which I'm trying to convert to DVD. Some of my source tapes are rather grainy and I love the results I get using the optimal script. But why can't I get it to work as posted?

Btw, I'm using Avisynth v2.5 and Tmpgenc Plus 2.5 on a windows XP machine if that helps.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
When I use unfilter on the first line, I get an error message and tmpgenc can't encode.[ But if I place unfilter after faerydust, it works.
VERY strange. What is the exact error message ?

Quote:
Also, Gripfit doesn't work at all. It causes tmpgenc to shut right down. If I remove it, all works fine. Again, what's the problem?
Gripfit !
It does not handle certain source res (for whatever reason I don't remember well) and do not like to enlarge a video.

Quote:
Lastly, perhaps I'm an ignoramus, but I only see 4 parameters for stmedianfilter as defined by moviestacker, yet the script contains 6. What's that all about?
The script is for avisynth 2.0 exclusively. The 2.0 version of stmedianfilter has 6 parameters.

Quote:
Btw, I'm using Avisynth v2.5 and Tmpgenc Plus 2.5 on a windows XP machine if that helps.
Then you can't use the script as we provided it.
10-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Then you can't use the script as we provided it.
Can you suggest changes as per AVS v2.5 ???? I wonder why nobody asked for this before!!!
10-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermule
Can you suggest changes as per AVS v2.5 ???? I wonder why nobody asked for this before!!!
The script is for VHS and Capture... there is a complete section now for that, including a sticky toppic with optimal scripts :
AVI(Captures, HuffYUV, lossless, etc.) to KVCD/KDVD

Note: the only problem is that the capture are often interlaced. To deal with that you have to read this other toppic :
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13768
10-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermule
The script is for VHS and Capture... there is a complete section now for that, including a sticky toppic with optimal scripts :
AVI(Captures, HuffYUV, lossless, etc.) to KVCD/KDVD

Note: the only problem is that the capture are often interlaced. To deal with that you have to read this other toppic :
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13768
Well, but I am still not sure if the VHS script in the sticky topics is compatible with avisynth 2.5 or it is ????
10-27-2005, 05:05 AM
Free Member

Excuse me. No, it is not. FaeryDust is for 2.0x only.
But you can use it in 2.5 by using the loadpluginex.

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....t=loadpluginex