Quantcast Authoring: Sharing Same Audio for Several Menus on DVD? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Free Member

Hi all,
I'm authoring a KDVD for my kids with DVDLab Pro. I encoded several shorts, and I'm combining them.
I thought to design several nested menues. First I want to listen the same audio when switching between menus. I thought I could make a group with them and assign the same soundtrack to the group, but I don't know if this is possible, nor how to do it. If I assign the same soundtrack to each of them, soundtrack restarts each time I switch the menu... of course. Any advice?.

A second doubt. I want to have the chance to select "Play All" and play all shorts one after another, or to play each one alone after selecting it in a menu... how?. I thought I could join all videos together (fortunately all share the same size 352x576), and "Play All" would play the video, and "Play X" would play the X video, through chaptering... But if I call a chapter, does it play the chapter from begining to end and return to menu, or does it play from begining of chapter to end of video... in thios last case, this way wouldn't be useful to me. Any hint here?.

Thanx to all in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitall.doc
Hi all,
I'm authoring a KDVD for my kids with DVDLab Pro. I encoded several shorts, and I'm combining them.
I thought to design several nested menues. First I want to listen the same audio when switching between menus. I thought I could make a group with them and assign the same soundtrack to the group, but I don't know if this is possible, nor how to do it.
Actually it is not. A menu on a DVD is a video (called "still mpeg", like on the old VCD). You can't share an audio track between two movies, don't you ? So unfortunally that is the same for menus.

Quote:
If I assign the same soundtrack to each of them, soundtrack restarts each time I switch the menu... of course. Any advice?.
No other possibility to do that. Look at commercial dvds and you will see (listen) that the music always restart.

Quote:
A second doubt. I want to have the chance to select "Play All" and play all shorts one after another, or to play each one alone after selecting it in a menu... how?.
http://dvdlab.net/maa_guides/PlayAll/PlayAll.html

Note: do you know the DVDLab Knowledge DB ?
http://www.mmbgroup.com/kb/
11-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Actually it is not. A menu on a DVD is a video (called "still mpeg", like on the old VCD). You can't share an audio track between two movies, don't you ? So unfortunally that is the same for menus.
That's a pity. It would look/sound much better.
What they do in some commercial DVDs is introducing a short video transition between menus. But yes, you're right, when switching between menus soundtrack (same or different) starts from the begining. I just asked in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Note: do you know the DVDLab Knowledge DB ?
http://www.mmbgroup.com/kb/

I think that you know the answer now, don't you?.
BTW, thanks a lot for the links (I just opened them in new pestañas [too lazy to think in a traslation], still didn't read them, but I'm absolutely sure they'll be a lot useful).
I'll give some feedback whenever I'm done with this.
Thanx Phil
11-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Free Member

You're welcome, but I answered too fast.
The guide if for DVDLab. DVDLab Pro has a built-in "Play All" widget !

Go in the connection window, and look at the toolbar. You see an icon named "All" ? This is the "play all" widget

You just have to link it to a button. So simple
11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Free Member

OK Phil, better this way.
In my version (Pro 1.00) instead of "All", you can add a "Play List". It does the same: plays those films in the list, without duplicating them, and when finishing goes back to menu. I'll try it and post my experience.
Thank you anyway, 'cos you showed me where I had to look at (not to mention knowledge base).
11-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Free Member

Very good Phil...

The play list way worked like a charm. I love this prog .

Just one thing didn't work, don't know why .
I had 3 nested menus, I mean: main menu extras menu shorts menu.
Each menu had the same soundtrack, but it doesn't sound anything in last menu.
When I check it in my SAP, it shows there's audio in, but doesn't sound at all.
It happened once to me, and sorted it out with a VM precommand selecting audio track (it seemed audio track was changed when switching menu, don't know why). But this time it didn't help. Can you figure where the problem was?.
11-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitall.doc
But this time it didn't help. Can you figure where the problem was?.
Nope. Sorry.
But upgrade you DVDLabPro version. It is very old !