Quantcast Mozilla Firefox 1.5rc1 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Free Member

Just to let you all know that Firefox 1.5 has left the beta stage and has moved on to the release candidate stage with RC1.
I have already begun testing it and so far so good.
Oh, BTW, did you notice that with 1.0 you could not scroll down on some web pages with your mouse's scroll button?
If you're still running 1.0 try opening a topic inside www.formula1.com and see for yourself (this one I remember that used to fail).
On 1.5RC1 it's working fine .
Cheers
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Free Member

Well Rui, that's great.
I already downloaded and installed it at my work PC. I didn't notice anything special, it just works as it used: well. Reading in changelog they improved security and so... the list was long.
A problem: if doesn't work with old extensions. But when installing, it check your extensions, and look if there's an update available. In my case, there was, and they work also well.
A problem I hac with 1.0.7 version (and previous) is when you select some text and paste in a document, it doesn't keep it's original aspect (fonts, color, sizes,...) as I was used with IExplorer. Don't know if it's a known issue they are trying to correct...
11-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Free Member

As I said on a french forum : what the purpose to rush onto the RC1 when the finale will be out in one or two weeks ?

Note: be carefull, for the moment A LOT of extension are incompatible.
11-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Free Member

@Phil,
For the purpose of testing it .
I will obviously go back to 1.0.7 should I find any problems with 1.5RC1.
You see, if I hadn't tried 1.5RC1 I wouldn't know that using it I'll be able to use my mouse scroll-button to scroll on webpages that I could not do so in 1.0.7.
A good example was www.formula1.com.
Every long topic that I opened there I could not make use of my scroll button to scroll the topic up and down.
That's been fixed in 1.5RC1 and I am very glad to know it.
That was my purpose.
But I didn't tell you guys to go quickly switch from 1.0.7 to 1.5RC1 ASAP, did I?
I'm simply testing it and sharing the info with you guys, that's all.
Cheers
11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
@Phil,
For the purpose of testing it .
That's what I'm doing with the beta, since... one month !
But now, I just find this is too late. What if you find a problem ? You can't send your feedback to the authors and hope it will be fixed !

Quote:
That's been fixed in 1.5RC1 and I am very glad to know it.
That was my purpose.
Unfortunally there are new problems : in forum managed by Invasion Power Board (a tool like phpBB) when you edit a post, you don't see the cursor

Quote:
I'm simply testing it and sharing the info with you guys, that's all.
Cheers
Okay. Next time I'll talk about the beta when they are out, then
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
That's what I'm doing with the beta, since... one month !
But now, I just find this is too late. What if you find a problem ? You can't send your feedback to the authors and hope it will be fixed !
No you don't, that's a fact.
That is, you can send the feedback but you'll have to pray that they acknowledge such a problem as being a high level one and they might fix it before it reaches final release.
Maybe it's not too late yet...
Quote:
Unfortunally there are new problems : in forum managed by Invasion Power Board (a tool like phpBB) when you edit a post, you don't see the cursor
I haven't found this issue yet and I also browse some IPB based forums...
On the other hand maybe that's because I still haven't used the EDIT feature.
I'm not that sure that I have used it and now I can't test it because my PC's PSU just broke and I'll only be receiving a new one by the end of the week.
Damn slow RMA .
Quote:
Okay. Next time I'll talk about the beta when they are out, then
That might proove usefull.
You see, you're about to send an email to the mozilla dev team about the IPB issue.
But if you had shared that info previously, then maybe it wouldn't be only your email and a another couple of thousand Mozilla users doing the same.
It would be you and maybe 5 to 10 other kvcd.net users plus the other couple of thousand.
And if everybody did the same, it would be 5-10 friends of that couple of thousand doing the same.
See where I'm going?
At the end of the day they would receive 10.000 emails with such issue reported instead of 2.000.
And 10.000 has a lot more strenght than 2.000.
So I think we should share experiences with BETA software here at the forum because it might proove as having been usefull when the product reaches FINAL.
But the way I was doing it...well you might have a point there .
The way I posted sounded like it was wonderfull and that maybe everybody should go on upgrading to 1.5RC1 right away.
From now on, if I post something about a RC or BETA stage software, I will clearly state that it might be dangerous to use it and I'll put [BETA] or [Release Candidate] in the post subject.
That way people will think twice before they install it.
Cheers
11-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds_correia
You see, you're about to send an email to the mozilla dev team about the IPB issue.
Actually I'm discussing with the sysasmin of the board. Because I did found an other bug that in fact... was due to an extension that I had and that blocked a function of that IPB board.
The bug with the edit can be due to the skin that is used on the board for instance.

Quote:
So I think we should share experiences with BETA software here at the forum because it might proove as having been usefull when the product reaches FINAL.
I don't have the same approach : I do not talk about a software before it is trustfull. Why ? because I know (in all modesty) that a lot of people here take my words for gold. And if I suggest a tool, they will use it blindly ! I know what a Beta is, and why you have to use them carefully. But I'm not sure all the audience here, is. Do you understand ?

Quote:
The way I posted sounded like it was wonderfull and that maybe everybody should go on upgrading to 1.5RC1 right away.
Yeah. So you see my point
11-08-2005, 02:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I don't have the same approach : I do not talk about a software before it is trustfull. Why ? because I know (in all modesty) that a lot of people here take my words for gold. And if I suggest a tool, they will use it blindly ! I know what a Beta is, and why you have to use them carefully. But I'm not sure all the audience here, is. Do you understand ?
Looking at it that way...yep you got a point there, again .

Quote:
Yeah. So you see my point
Yep, I do .