Quantcast Gpl Version 3 (Hilarious, in my Opinion!) - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Free Member

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/web...pl_v3_released

I also read somewhere else that they may apply GPL 3 to "Web Services", so that means that any company who has modified GPL 3 software for in-house purposes (Google?, Yahoo?), must release all their complete sources to the public.
I think this issue is what will put the last nail in the GPL coffin, for many companies in the industry using GPL sources, because no one commercial company will release their complete in-house development to the public, and have the competition see all they have done.
This was fine with GPL version 2, because they didn't have to release their propietary sources for in-house or for their own web services.
Example: Just imagine if the phpBB group (this forum is based on it) was to release their newer version based on GPL 3.
That would mean that anyone doing mods to their forum, would have to release the sources
What would happen to KVCD.Net's forum
See, I don't modify the sources, except for several mangled lines so the registration link is disabled, and a special link is then given to people when they join so we can activate them. So my changes are not visible.
If phpBB becomes GPL3, I would be forced to release a couple of changes in the forum source, making kvcd.net's forum register link visible, and chaos would start again trying to maintain it.
So, if phpBB does become GPL3, I will do a magic operation in a wink of an eye, and transfer/merge the database to another forum (BSD based) in a matter of hours
Hopefully this won't happen, and phpBB will stay GPL 2 and never change to GPL 3.
I believe I heard that Linus Torvalds (The man behind Linux) has no plans to go to GPL 3.
Time will tell.
If anyone wants to follow what is happening with GPL3, go to www.osnews.com for updates.

-kwag
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Free Member

And here you have it, after more than a year after I posted this thread, GPL v. 3 has been released!
And the future looks ................ pretty dark to me, in my opinion, and to others too :P
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/317/

Comments, as usual, are very welcome
-kwag
07-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Free Member

Old products (let say the phpBB version that we use currently in the forum) are not impacted by a change of licence for the new releases. Are they ?
07-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Old products (let say the phpBB version that we use currently in the forum) are not impacted by a change of licence for the new releases. Are they ?
Hi Phil,

So far, phpBB is still GPL Version 2.
And the way I feel (smell?) things, I think they will stick to GPL 2!
Have a read here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewt...=gpl3#p3080397

-kwag
07-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Free Member

I understand that, but I ask this as a general question, taking the phpBB just for hypothesis. Once a product change the GPL license it uses, are the old releases impacted or not ?

It sounds like a one-way change of contract for me : when you decide to use a GPL product, you accept the current licence. In common situation, when the contract change, you have the choice to continue with new one, or leave the product. Here it sounds difficult to decide to simply remove the GPL licensed librairies from your code simply because you don't want to go to GPL3.
07-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
I understand that, but I ask this as a general question, taking the phpBB just for hypothesis. Once a product change the GPL license it uses, are the old releases impacted or not ?
NOPE
If you stick to the current version, it's governed by the V.2 license.
If you upgrade to a newer version, which is then licensed under V3, THEN problem might arise
Quote:

It sounds like a one-way change of contract for me : when you decide to use a GPL product, you accept the current licence. In common situation, when the contract change, you have the choice to continue with new one, or leave the product. Here it sounds difficult to decide to simply remove the GPL licensed librairies from your code simply because you don't want to go to GPL3.
So stick to the current version of phpBB for the time being

-kwag
08-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Free Member

Hi guys, long time no seeing.
Hope everyone's fine.
After months of no kvcd forum activity this is the 1st thread that I am reading.
One thing that worries me is that in the (let's hope long) future phpBB might have a vulnerability issue that can only be fixed with an upgrade.
If that ever happens and if by that time phpBB is already under GPL v3 then I guess that this and other forums upgrades to the newer version they will be under GPL v3, right?
I'm just lacing my shoes here so that I don't fall.
08-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Free Member

Hey Rui

It's good to see you around

This GPL3 issue is driving the industry in many directions!
I really think that the Linux world has more to loose than gain if they adopt this/ At least that's what I feel after reading all the topics and opinions around the net

In the mean time, PC-BSD 1.4 is looking good and strong
m0n0wall looking good.
pfSense looking better.
And now, AskoziaPBX an embedded Asterisk PBX (Based on mono) http://askozia.com/pbx is looking VERY cool

Cheers!,
-kwag
08-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
This GPL3 issue is driving the industry in many directions!
I really think that the Linux world has more to loose than gain if they adopt this/ At least that's what I feel after reading all the topics and opinions around the net
Yep, I know what you mean.
Those guys at the GPL foundation have grown hair instead of brains on top of those heads.
If they feel that they need to change, then by all means do so but take the time to consider all the possibilities.
They shouldn't want to restrain people but instead give them the right tools and means to fulfill a task.
Quote:
In the mean time, PC-BSD 1.4 is looking good and strong
m0n0wall looking good.
pfSense looking better.
And now, AskoziaPBX an embedded Asterisk PBX (Based on mono) http://askozia.com/pbx is looking VERY cool
I've been using PC-BSD (and DesktopBSD from time to time) on my laptop.
I gotta level it with you, Windows is still nicer and it is more hardware compliant than both of these but on the other hand any of the *BSD offers are much stronger in terms of stability and security.
Plus they have pretty strong TCP/IP stacks with built-in firewall with 0% risk of virus or hacking.
On the other hand, I've been using m0n0wall at home as a firewall, router and VPN server for quite sometime and I'm a 100% satisfied customer.
At work we have 2 pfSenses and we have already 5 or 6 pfSenses spread around with some of our customers and they can do the same job even on PIII 550Mhz with 256MB of RAM.
It just beats the crap out of those Zywalls because it can almost do the same thing and it just doesn't cost you a dime.
As for Askozia I'm on it for a little while but I haven't found much time to play with it and with our Avaya IP PBXs that we sell.
But I'm planing on installing it on my Soekris 4521 and buy the new Alix for my home pfSense machine.
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/posting.ph...quote&p=127211
I am just waiting for them to release Alix 2A with 3 NICs.
Then with some time I will play more with Askozia because up until now all I've done was install it on a VMware machine and that's bad because my desktop can't handle it.
Cheers