Quantcast HCEnc: Questions about HC Encoder - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Free Member

Hi Forum
I have been away for a while and just looked in today to see what was new. I have seen this HC Encoder which i downloaded and installed. Since there appears to be no sticky about how to set this encoder up. Can any of the members possibly help me out. I have DG Index installed and i ripped a movie to back up as a KSVCD to a normal CDR disc that would be DVD player compliant. I noticed from the GUI in HC Encoder the buttons make reference to AVS Script or D2v input.
a. Do i have to install avisynth for this encoder to work or is it built in?
b. I keep getting an error in DG Index after converting a vob file to a D2v file and attempting to connect this file to the encoder.. It states at the bottom something about not being version 12 compliant????
c. What do i do with the audio part? Do i do that myself or does the encoder do that automaticaly??

My aim was to use the above to back up my DVD collection mainly to CD's so if there is a script (avs) required for input into the decoder, where would i get this from.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. This looks like a nice bit of software and is exactly what i was looking for to back up my collection with. I have used avs scripts before so i am not a complete newbie there.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

04-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Free Member

To get out of all those hassels, try HCEnc with DVD Rebuilder free version and then buy the professional ver, if you like it.

DVD rebuilder is automated and does the same as you are trying to do manually.
04-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
DVD rebuilder is automated and does the same as you are trying to do manually.
DVDRebuilder never did KSVCD. Does it ?

Blubear
a/ I think that, yes, avisynth has to be installed beside HC. I don't think Hank delivers avisynth with his encoder.

b/ The error you have seems to tell that you are not using the last version of DG_Index. 12 refers to the last version on the syntax of a d2v file, and HC seems to not understand the (eleven) previous ones .
Last DGIndex is 1.4.6 (official) or 1.4.7b4 (beta).

c/ No HC does not take care about the audio, you have to deal with it separately but you will have to deal also with the muxing.

Perhaps insteed of DVDRebuilder you should look toward DVD2SVCD but it does not use HC. Or are you ready to learn how to deal with all this steps manually ?
04-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Free Member

Hey thanks Phil and S Mule,

The mist is lifting slowly now. Phil I have DG index 1.4.7.0 installed already although did not install avisynth . I take it I would install this to the same folder as HC Enc for the proggy to find it. I have done this with DG Index but alas the Program does not find it. Maybe i am not using it correctly. I see there is a link to a guide in Spanish which i am sad to say i do not speak Is there an english one perhaps floating about some where as i have not got a scoobby do how to set this up. i noticed in a post related to this that the author states it can make either many KDVD to one 4.7 GB disc or one SVCD to one standard 700mb cd. Errm without a help page or guide to refer to where are the settings to perform these functions please. just a couple of other questions if i may, What type of avs package does this program suppport ie 2.54 or higher and what filters are required.
Lastly do you know the setting required in DG Index in the drop down boxes prior to loading the file and are there scripts for this program .avs that is.. ?
Many thanks in advance..
Steve.
04-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Free Member

Hi Bluebear,

My settings for doing svcd in HC Enc are :

- Main

Profile : Normal
Dc Prec : 8
Aspect Ratio : 4/3
Miscellaneous : "scene change", "vbv check", and "seq encode", ticked.
You need to load you avs/d2v file to set up the bitrate
Maximum bitrate : 2500
Average : check with calcumatic

- Advanced

Scan Method : zigzag (don't know if it really matters)
Time Code : 0,0,0,0 (don't know if it...)
Gop Structure : gop length=24/B frames=2
Miscellaneous : vbr bias=0/wait(sec)=5
CPU : auto

- Matrix

Built in matrix
Notch

That's all, as far as I know.

For the avs script, I advise you this one, taken here :

Code:
DGDecode_Mpeg2Source("PATH\NAME.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7) 
Lanczos4Resize(...) 
RemoveGrain() 
Deen() 
TemporalSoften(2,7,7,3,2) 
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_max=10,variance=0.3,seed=5823) 
AddBorders(...)
Good luck.
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Free Member

Jason,
thanks for replying to my post it is appreciated. I am a bit confused by a couple of things however with this encoder.

Quote:
You need to load you avs/d2v file to set up the bitrate
Do i need an avs file for this or run direct from the d2v produced in the frameserver?

Quote:
DGDecode_Mpeg2Source("PATH\NAME.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7)

Where do i get DG DECODE from. I could only find DG Index on google and I was advised previously to use that one, problem is i dont know what are the correct setting to use on that either. Any help please I used to use DVD2AVI 1.76 ages ago but to be honest with this GUI i aint got a scooby, some parts are familiar some not. I could not find DECODE anywhere. What version of that would suit the latest version of this product and where would i get it from mate??

Lastly i presume from using calcumatic before that i would input the D2v or Avs script there to find the value refered to as Average: under Maximum Bitrate correct?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Steve.
04-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Hello all

I am still having problems with this script for use in HC Encoder. Here is my script its probably wrong so any pointers would go a long way. To say I am struggling with this would be an understatement. I want to back up a DVD to KSVCD to fit on one 700MB cd using HC ENC.

DGDecode_Mpeg2Source("C:\Electra.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7 )
Lanczos4Resize(480, 480)
RemoveGrain()
Deen()
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_ma x=10,variance=0.3,seed=5823)
AddBorders()

Getting this error report:

Virtual dub:

Avisynth open failure:
Script error: there is no function named "DGDecode_Mpeg2Source"
(C:\Electra.avs,line 1)

Tried moving the .dll file as named above to C: drive with no joy. Any one who can help me please with this script so i can get started..

Many thanks
Steve.
04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubear
DGDecode_Mpeg2Source("C:\Electra.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7 )
The right command for this is :

Mpeg2Source("C:\Electra.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7)

remove DGdecode_ part from your line.

Dgdecode.dll should be either in the avisynth plugin folder or loaded initially in the script itself.
04-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Free Member

Also, get your resizing values from FitCD, what you have now doesn't look right.

The resizing values are the Lanczosresize and the addborders line.
04-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Free Member

Hi there
Thanks for you replies, can you give me an example of Lanczos resize specs (figures) please as i am not fully up on the calculations thing..
Thank you
04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Free Member

ooops guilty of not reading the post properly. Due to all the feedback I got (many thanks indeed!) I am now decoding my first KSVCD on HC Enc. Cant wait for the results!

The only thing i didnt notice in the whole process was the CQ attaining process. I take it this will be done by the encoder after i entered the parameters from FITCD and calcumatic into the script during the encoding process?

I intend to use HeadAC3he to decode the audio and downsample to MP2 format. Would this be ok to use?

Thanks to all for all your help!
Steve.
04-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Free Member

Hi Forum,
I finished a KSVCD of the movie i was doing and it came out great. I then resampled the soundtrack and muxed both in TMPGEnc. Result was good played on the laptop and in my childs mini dvd player. However when i played it in my stand alone dvd player (Panasonic S35) the result was awful. The film would freeze about every five seconds and there were blocky artifacts all over the place with a distorted picture. I found this strange as this player had previously played KVCD/KSVCD's previously that i had done with other programs like ACP and TMPGEnc. I thought i had cracked this and was going to move on to KDVD's next. The encoder i am using is the HC Encoder (Latest Version) and all the latest tools for frameserving etc. After reading a number of posts, i tried patching the header with Kwags little patcher, which i did successfully but the muxed and burned result still would not play correctly. I have the Blockbuster line in my script to encode a KSVCD and was using the presets for HC Encoder previously given in this thread by another member .I need help i dont know what to do now.
Do i jack this encoding method in and go to another? or is there anything else to correct i am doing wrong? I have burned the finished item in both Nero 7 and new version of VCDEasy with the same result. To say i am dissapointed would be an understatement.

Here is a copy of my finished script which worked fine in both VD and MP.

LoadPlugin("C:\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
Mpeg2Source("C:\Electra.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7)
Lanczos4Resize(480, 336, 10, 70, 700, 436)
RemoveGrain()
Deen()
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_ma x=10,variance=0.3,seed=5823)
AddBorders(0, 120, 0, 120)

I am currently running XP pro on a P4 setup.
Heeeeeelp please!
Thank you
Steve.
04-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Free Member

HI Blubear,

Try muxing your audio and video with MPLEX: http://www.kvcd.net/downloads/mplex.exe

-kwag
04-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Free Member

HI Kwag,
Thanks for info i will give it a go...

PS. will it mux AC3 audio to MPEG2 if i get adventureous and try a KDVD!
Thanks,
Blubear..
04-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Free Member

For KDVDs or regular DVDs, you don't need MPLEX!
Just use whatever DVD authoring program you have, ex: "TMPGEnc DVD Author", and it will mux your video and audio streams.

-kwag
04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubear
Hi Forum,
I finished a KSVCD of the movie i was doing and it came out great. I then resampled the soundtrack and muxed both in TMPGEnc. Result was good played on the laptop and in my childs mini dvd player. However when i played it in my stand alone dvd player (Panasonic S35) the result was awful. The film would freeze about every five seconds and there were blocky artifacts all over the place with a distorted picture.
Such thing happened to me when I ticked "constant quantization", that's why I don't use it anymore.
So far, I've made 2 svcd (2 tv series ep each cd) and they work just fine.
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Free Member

thanks Kwag and Jason that was very helpful. I am much obliged to you