Quantcast Burned PAL DVD: Incorrect TV Type on Player? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
04-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Free Member

I made a DVD using some PAL formatted home movies and when I try to play the disc in my ps2 and it told me something like "incorrect TV type". The disc plays perfectly till the end in an Xbox360 and in my PC, and plays somewhat ok in my standalone DVD player(btw I'm in America) Because the disc doesn't work in the Ps2 does that mean that there are some other DVD players that the disc also won't play on? I am planning on giving some to family members and whatnot and I want to make sure I've done everything possible to make the disc compatible. Also on my standalone it can't play the last 10 minutes or so of video (skips ahead quickly) which I think may be related to the fact that the bottom of the DVDR is purple. Is there a good DVDR brand that plays well in a wide range of players? Thanks, and sorry if my second question was somewhat off-topic.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

04-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Free Member

Both questions are welcome but I think there is a specific thread for DVD media, though.
Nevertheless, what I can tell you is that I have a PS2 and it plays fine all my kdvds.
No skips or anything like that.
Also bear in mind that ALL kdvds ARE 100% COMPLIANT with EVERY standalone DVD player in the market because kdvd is actually a DVD.
So you're looking at a problem that doesn't have anything to do with kdvd.
Most surely it has something to do with the source video and with the steps you took to create that particular kdvd.
Or else, you could also be right and it could be a DVD media that your standalones don't like.
I can't tell you what media to buy because I don't know much about media.
Ever since I bought my DVD burner I bought TDK or Memorex DVD-R media and I've been satisfied with it.
It has never failed to me yet but it's not cheap media too...
04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Free Member

K, I got that, I stumbled on another post somewhere that lead me to the conclusion that NTSC sony dvd players (including the Ps2) won't play the PAL video because of the framerate. So I used DGPulldown to convert it from 25 to 29.97. The only thing that I was concerned about was the fact that Gspot reported both files as still being 25 fps. No matter I went ahead and TMGenc'ed with NTSC parameters, burned a quick test portion and voila, the Ps2 played it perfectly, so I think I'm ready to get cracking on the KDVD stuff now, Thanks.

ADDED later... OK I tried the KDVD encode and test watched the first minute of my video and it had little hiccups about every second or so, kinda looked like stop motion animation. It was of course set to the default 23.975(29.97 internally) I attempted to remedy this by changing the video setting from 3:2 pulldown to interlaced and setting the framerate to 29.97 and it seems to come out perfect that way. My only question is how does that mess up the KDVD compression. Does it mess it up with me monkeying with those two settings?