Quantcast TMPGEnc: Issues with TMPGEnc and Unresolved Problems - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Free Member

Hello,

Hope someone can help me with this one. I started KVCD'ing some time back with this encoder in the days of ACP etc, and to be fair at the time this encoder seemed to work well and produced some fairly good KVCD / KSVCD's. I have TMPGEnc version: 2.521.58.169 which is MPEG2 enabled as well as MPEG1. I read lots of posts from members saying how this encoder turned out beautiful' KVCD's. At that time i was pleased but looking back I figure on a couple of encodes i was just lucky because i have never been able to replicate any good KVCD/KSVCD's with it to date. I understand a fair bit more now than then but cant seem to get this encoder to work for me despite staying awake many nights in efforts to break through and resolve my issues with this encoder. I have tried various resolution's, and Standards i.e. MPEG 1 and 2 but the encodes come out crappy despite in some cases having a CQ of 82. I have Avisynth 2.5 installed and working, D2v produced by DGIndex (Latest) and using a more up to date script which has worked nicely on an KSVCD encode in HCEnc.

What am i doing wrong here? Is this version of TMPGEnc bugged? I do not know. I have readAVs installed and the script frameserves fine when played back in VDUB,MPLAYER etc.

mpeg2source("C:\Million Dollar Baby.d2v",cpu=4)
Lanczos4Resize(352,160,7,74,706,42
ConvertToYV12()
RemoveGrain()
Deen()
Undot()
TemporalSoften(2,7,7,3,2)
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_ma x=10,variance=0.3,seed=5823)
Addborders(0,64,0,64)

Secondly despte reading all the posts previously posted on settings I admit to being still in the dark on this subject.
As an example this is a list of my most recent encode attempt to MPEG2. Tried it in MPEG1 and it was in my eyes unwatchable' and distorted.
in settings:
Reset to Default>>Load Template KVCDx3 MPEG-2-PAL>>load Script.
Adjust resolution in settings to as follows:
MPEG 2
352x288
4:3 Display
25fps
Constant Quality (CQ)>>>>>MAXB:2500 MINB:64 CQ:82
VBF Buf: 112
DC: 10Bits
Motion Search Pres:High Quality slow>>>>>
ADVANCED:
Non Interlaced(Progressive)???
Bottom Field First(FieldB)
Source Aspect Ratio: 4:3 625 Line (PAL,704x576)
Arrange Method: Center.
All others underneath Unchecked.

Are these Settings Correct??? CQMatic seems to Run OK after inputting TMPGEnc project and above parameters but give me a Crappy! encode at 82 CQ Why???

Any help would be appreciated. I thought i had this nailed but I am obviously doing something dramaticly wrong here as my encodes are proving...

Thanks,
Blubear
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

05-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Free Member

Try these changes for low bitrate MPEG-2:

DC: 8 Bits
Motion Search Pres: FAST
Arrange Method: Full Screen

And change to bicubic resize.
BicubicResize(352,160,7,74,706,42

-kwag
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Free Member

Hi Kwag,

Thanks very much I will give it a go. i am obliged.
Blubear.
05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Free Member

Hi Kwag,

Made the changes... I got no picture now at all just a bright thick pink and black stripped band across the width of the encoder image??

Any ideas? I tried to copy and paste it here from paint shop but it wont let me

Blubear.

[/IMG]
05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubear
Hi Kwag,

Made the changes... I got no picture now at all just a bright thick pink and black stripped band across the width of the encoder image??
Could you check your BicubicResize(352,160,7,74,706,42 parameters again with PARanoia, and see if they are correct
Also, do you need the: ConvertToYV12() line in there

-kwag
05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Free Member

Hi Again,

ermm.. I got it working thanks by pre-empting your advise about a recheck in paranoia. recreated script with BicubicResize() and all is now working. I encoded a test sample at the previouslt given resolutions and CQ. Whilst the quality has improved it is still not quiet up to what i expected from MPEG2 even at this bitrate as I did a film previously some years now! back and even at the resolutions in MPEG2 this was better. Would it be better to encode this to MPEG1 in TMPGEnc for better clarity or do i need to tweak other settings such as raise the minimum birtate from 64 to 150 or 300 perhaps. I presume obviously this will have a bearing on filesize and will require the encoding being run again through CQMatic. What would you suggest here. What I am currently seeing sitting roughly two feet away from my PC monitor is a pretty distorted and blurred picture especially at the start when the film operators logo appears i.e. in this case WB. The image is distorted and ghosted and the credit role at the beginning of the film is not much better.

Any thoughts here please??
Regards,
Blubear
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Free Member

I think you have a resizing problem. Can you try resizing to 352x576 just to see
I believe you are seeing resize artifacts at 352x288.

-kwag
05-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Hi Kwag,

I will try that but its that I am encoding a 128Min Anamorphic Source DVD to NON anamorphic 4:3 and these are the settings I am using in Paranoia. I also used the figures from resizing with BicubicResize Precise. Nothing else has been changed but removed the ConvertTo() command and Undot() now is first in Filter use order. Is that OK?

Secondly In TMPGEnc in settings under resize and aspect Ratio it is 4:3 display and Source in Advaned settings is also 4:3 display is that OK??

Coincidentally in Motion Search Precision: Motion Estimate Search (Fast) is selected as per your previous post. Does this affect the final Quality of the encode in any way? It is faster no doubt!! but what about quality loss? I am curious. I answer to your resize question, Can i fit a 128Min Movie on an 80Min Cd at resolution 352x576 or was that just for experimental reasons to judge this issue.

Thanks very much,
Blubear
05-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Pictures.
We need some pictures to see those resizing problems or artifacts.
Just host them with imageshack.us and post the links here so that we can take a look what is happening with your movie.
Cheers
05-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Free Member

Hi,
Going off topic a bit but what the heck is ImageShack.US. I aint got a clue what you are talking about.

Sorry,
Blubear
05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Free Member

It's a site on the internet where you can upload pictures or screenshots of your applications so that other people can take a look at .
There are hundreds of other sites like imageshack.us but this is one of the most popular among them.
Many images in the tutors that you find on this forum are either hosted directly at kvcd.net or at imageshack.us.
Please upload a picture of your source and a picture of what you get after encoded.
If you don't know how, use VirtualDubMod or VirtualDub to load the movie and follow my picture menus.

Easy, right?
Cheers