Quantcast Overscan and LCD HDTV Screen Burning - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Free Member

I'm getting increasingly worried about my new Samsung LE40R73BD LCD HDTV (quite a mouthful), when i buy it.
Now i know we need overscan on our encodes for CRT TV's but we don't for LCD because the whole picture is displayed.

This means that all the KDVD's i've made in the past will display with a black border around the edge of the picture.
Not only that, but the border will be burning in to my screen while i'm watching it.

What can i do? Help! I'm panicing about this!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
Not only that, but the border will be burning in to my screen while i'm watching it.
I don't have any solution concerning the border thing, but at least don't worry : for a LCD black pixel means no pixel, that means that they won't be burnt into the screen.
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Apparently, LCD's do retain a prolonged image but it's not permenent.
On the Apple site (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88343) it says that the "burned in" image can be removed by displaying a totally white screen for the length of time that the "burned" image was displayed for.
This concept should work for LCD TV's as well, in theory.
If a White JPEG was put on a CD a displayed on the LCD, it should cure the problem.
What do you think?

I've been reading about certain DVD players that can zoom in and out of the picture pixel by pixel. So i could simply zoom in to overscaned DVD's and in future, not bother with overscan at all.

Sorry to ask and then research it but i thought this would be useful to other people as well.
06-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
What do you think?
They are talking about ligth pixels. I repeat that black pixel means NO PIXEL. This area receive NO information, so NO picture can be burnt in the screen. These pixels are nothing else than the ones you see when your TV is switched off

Quote:
I've been reading about certain DVD players that can zoom in and out of the picture pixel by pixel. So i could simply zoom in to overscaned DVD's and in future, not bother with overscan at all.
That's correct, some of them can do that. These are generally progressive capable SAP and you can look forward after them if you plan to buy a new player.

Quote:
Sorry to ask and then research it but i thought this would be useful to other people as well.
Actually overscan problem related to LCD (and plasma, and DLP) screens is well known but it does not hurt to repeat it one more time .
06-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
They are talking about ligth pixels. I repeat that black pixel means NO PIXEL.
Forgive my ignorance. It all sounds too technical for me but not to worry. LCD's do not suffer from burn-in. Thats all i need to know.

Quote:
These are generally progressive capable SAP and you can look forward after them if you plan to buy a new player.
I sure do. I have to cause i'm gonna need a resolution upscaler to play standard DVD's on my HDTV.

Quote:
it does not hurt to repeat it one more time .
Your too kind.
Thanks Phil.
06-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
They are talking about ligth pixels. I repeat that black pixel means NO PIXEL.
Forgive my ignorance. It all sounds too technical for me but not to worry. LCD's do not suffer from burn-in. Thats all i need to know.
I did not tell that Of course they suffer but this concern white / light / bright / switched on pixels, not black / dark / switched off pixel. I don't know how to tell you that better .
06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Free Member

I'm so sorry Phil. You were explaining it perfectly. It was me. I was getting it all wrong.
When you said "They are talking about ligth pixels" i thought ligth was a technical term for a type of pixel. I now realise that you meant LIGHT. Lol.
I was on an alternative thinking wavelength after that. If that makes any sense at all.
Just to clarify that i now understand you: There are no pixels in a black border. Therefore nothing is burning into the screen.
But am i right in thinking that LCD burning is only temporary? Unlike Plasma and CRT.

Going back to the DVD players that can zoom in and out of the picture........ Is there a certain term/name that i should look for so i know a certain DVD player has this capability? In other words, what do i look for to know a DVD player has this feature?

Sorry for (unintentionaly) screwing with your head Phil.