Quantcast Best Path for Setting up Wireless Internet? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to heyitsme
Ok i am building a house in the country and the only isp provides wireless internet. The tricky thing is that i am building my house in a valley and my antenna needs to be in clear line of site to the providers system. So i will be running an antenna on top of the hill beside my house. So that problem is solved. The other thing is that a neighbor of mine would like to have internet as well but is in the valley, but unfortunately he doesnt have a high point on his property to connect to this internet. And our houses are appoximately 100 meters apart.

So my proposed plan.

Radio antenna->my house into the radio antenna->router->access point (outfitted with a cantenna if necessary)->to their access point (wih a cantenna as well)+ an additional router if needed, b/c of the direct signal. So far my equipement for the wireless end is just a linksys wrt54g. If you know of any good deals for this type a setup please list them.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Branden
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Free Member

Hi Branden,

Your setup is fine. Here are additional suggestions.
Just put a Wireless AP on your roof, for your neighbour (split the ISP cost ) and hard code his MAC address in your AP table so nobody else can connect.
Basically you connect that access point to your internal router, which feed from the equipment on the hill.
Hell, you could actually service two or three neighbours this way

-kwag
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Free Member

Thanks Kwag,

Thanks for verifying my setup. I will make sure i do hardcode their mac addresses. You have any suggestions on what AP i should get. All the ones that i looked at i would need to outfit with the cantenna design in order to get the signal strength. If not it only costs me about 15 dollars to make.

Thanks again

Branden
06-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Tou have any suggestions on what AP i should get.
You bet
Get this: http://us.zyxel.com/products/model.p...ndexFlagvalue=

It's about $49.95 at CompUSA right now.

I have three of them, and they are rock solid
They run a MIPS version of Linux, and I've had mine(s) up for months without any problems.
This AP also works as a Wireless Bridge, so you can use it to connect networks together.
Thats' exactly how I use mine to connect to a free ISP ( on the WAN port), and then I connect the LAN port to my internal home router.
So the ISP only sees me getting one IP (like if I had just one machine ), but in reality I have about 5 machines in my LAN, plus a bunch of SIP (VoIP) devices)

-kwag
06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Since this uses linux i am sure there is a lot of user made firmware, just as the wrt54g has. At the moment i am searching for firmware that would allow me to limit bandwith through certain ports, and make other ports a priority. This would limit certain traffic such as torrents and other p2p networks through out the network. I just dont want to be waiting an hour to view my mail cause the other network is leeching some torrents. Anyways im still on the hunt, so if you have any suggestions let me know.

Thank you,

Branden.
06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme
At the moment i am searching for firmware that would allow me to limit bandwith through certain ports
Then what you really want is something like pfSense
http://www.pfsense.org
With that, you can do bandwidth (traffic) shaping, and it has a wizard that specifically include most (all?) P2P apps, VoIP, etc

-kwag
06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Free Member

Yep
That's what I've got running on my soekris box.
BTW, 1.0RC1 is out .
Cheers