Quantcast Avisynth: Fast Script to use with DVD Rebuilder? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Free Member

I need a fast, basic "cleanup" script to use with DVD Rebuilder. Any suggestions?
I don't want too much detail loss just a light touch of noise cleaning.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Simply use :
Code:
LRemoveDust_YV12(17,1)
Letterbox(16,16,16,16)
Note: be carefull, the source has to be progressive. I don't think LRD() works with interlaced sources.
08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Simply use :
Code:
LRemoveDust_YV12(17,1)
Letterbox(16,16,16,16)
Thank you Dialhot.
How about using a single filter like HQDN3D or RemoveGrain?
I have never used any of those filters myself (iirc).
How do they match up to the LRemoveDust function?

EDIT:
I just ran some tests with RemoveGrain and found RemoveGrain(5) very pleasing. Some noise reduction and almost all detail preserved - perfect!
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Free Member

Does RemoveGrain work on interlaced material?
How can I see if the movie is interlaced or not in DVD Rebuilder?

I'm trying to encode Seven Swords (PAL) and it seems the intro - with the company logo - is interlaced but the movie is not. Can I still use RemoveGrain(5)?
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Free Member

Is there a denoising filter I can use on both interlaced and progressive sources? That would be great!
08-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioslave
Thank you Dialhot.
How about using a single filter like HQDN3D or RemoveGrain?
I have never used any of those filters myself (iirc).
How do they match up to the LRemoveDust function?
I don't know for HQDN3D (never used) but LRD() is actually a function using the RemoveGrain filters but a more efficient result.

Quote:
I'm trying to encode Seven Swords (PAL) and it seems the intro - with the company logo - is interlaced but the movie is not. Can I still use RemoveGrain(5)?
If this is just for the intro logo, then yours eyes won't be hurt a lot even if you use a filter not suitable for interlaced material. The most important is te movie, isn't it ?

Quote:
Is there a denoising filter I can use on both interlaced and progressive sources? That would be great!
DeGrainMedian can but there is no filter that can be used for a source that is both progressive and interlaced at the same time as you have to tell to the filter in what mode you want it to work. I don't know any filter taht can adapt itself to the nature of the source.
08-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I need a fast, basic "cleanup" script to use with DVD Rebuilder. Any suggestions?
I don't want too much detail loss just a light touch of noise cleaning.
Everthing depends on the nature of your source, is it clean, is it grainy etc etc. For grainier sourcesfor eg WOTW use Lremovedust for clean sources you might just get away with removegrain(mode=2).

remember adding unnecessary cleaning through scripts adds to the encoding time with little effect on the quality. So use the scripts judiciously.
08-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Free Member

Thanks again guys!

@supermule
I know what you mean. The movie I'm trying to encode now is Seven Swords and the source is quite bad actually. It's blocky and grainy. Probably due to bad mastering and the length of the movie - 2h 26min! Plus all the extras on the DVD.
Maybe it would suffice to use UnDot() and some filter to reduce the blocks? Don't know of any "de-blocking" filter though...

BTW: Is it safe to use UnDot on both progressive and interlaced material? I can't find any info on that in the "manual".
08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Don't know of any "de-blocking" filter though...
The only efficient way to do that is to add "cpu=4" or "cpu=6" directly in the avs script generated by DVD-RB (into the mpeg2source line).
For that you have to use the "3-step mode" of DVD-RB, do the "Prepare" pahse, and edit the scripts with a texteditor.

Quote:
BTW: Is it safe to use UnDot on both progressive and interlaced material? I can't find any info on that in the "manual".
Spatial filters are ok for both progressive and interlaced. Only temporal (or spatio-temporal) filters are affected by interlacing.

Note: Undot and RemoveGrain(mode=2) is basically the same thing, the second being a lot more efficient.
08-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Spatial filters are ok for both progressive and interlaced. Only spatial (or spatio-temporal) filters are affected by interlacing.
Huh? I must have missed your point here pal. To me it looks as you're saying that spatial filters are good AND bad for interlaced sources?!
Please enlighten me.

EDIT: Any suggestions on good spatial filters? Parameters too, please...
08-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Huh? I must have missed your point here pal.
I edited my previous post. Sorry for the mistake

Quote:
EDIT: Any suggestions on good spatial filters? Parameters too, please...
Removegrain !

Mode = 1 is Undot
Mode = 2 is a better Undot
Mode 4,5 and 17 are also good modes for denoising.

Read the Removegrain doc (even if it is complicated).

Note: the RemoveGrain doc says :
Quote:
RemoveGrain has started as a purely spatial denoiser (modes 1-9, 17, 18, 21, 22) [...] RemoveGrain modes 1-10,17-25 are for truely progressive input only, the bob modes 13-16 are for interlaced input only and modes 11,12 can be used both for progressive and interlaced input
That means that I was completly wrong in my statement in the previous message
08-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Free Member

Thank again Dialhot!

If I want to add cpu=4 or cpu=6 (what's the difference between the two?) can I use some kind of software to change all avs scripts at once?
08-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Free Member

Quote:
If I want to add cpu=4 or cpu=6 (what's the difference between the two?) can I use some kind of software to change all avs scripts at once?
cpu=4 is simple deblocking, cpu=6 adds also deringing. Read DGDecode (or MPEG2Dec3) manual.
Personnaly I simply use a texteditor that allows to open several document at once and permit to apply a "Search & Replace" in one shot for all. I use "Textpad".
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Free Member

Deringing is to remove halos, right?

You say you use "Textpad" to edit your DVD Rebuilder scripts. Is that the same as "Notepad" or is it another text editor?

EDIT: Never mind my Textpad question - I found in on Google.
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Deringing is to remove halos, right?
Not at all. It's a way to remove DCT blocks more efficient than deblocking but that blurs the edges in the picture so use it with care.
08-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Spatial filters are ok for both progressive and interlaced. Only temporal (or spatio-temporal) filters are affected by interlacing.
That's not true. Spatial filters work with neighbouring pixels so they end up smoothing scanlines against each other. For spatial filters SeparateFields().SpatialFiltering().Weave() is enough but the cleaning threshold may need some adjusting as filtering tends to be more aggressive.

TemporalSoften should be safe to use with progressive and interlaced stuff without any special treatment as it looks at the same pixel in every frame within the radius.
08-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
Quote:
That's not true. Spatial filters work with neighbouring pixels so they end up smoothing scanlines against each other. For spatial filters SeparateFields().SpatialFiltering().Weave() is enough but the cleaning threshold may need some adjusting as filtering tends to be more aggressive.

TemporalSoften should be safe to use with progressive and interlaced stuff without any special treatment as it looks at the same pixel in every frame within the radius.
Thanks!