Quantcast Linux Ubuntu Version 6.06 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
08-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Free Member

@anyone,

Linux Ubuntu version 6.06

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

These freedoms make Ubuntu fundamentally different from traditional proprietary software: not only are the tools you need available free of charge, you have the right to modify your software until it works the way you want it to.

Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports PC (Intel x86), 64-bit PC (AMD64), UltraSPARC T1 (Sun Fire T1000 and T2000) and PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.

Ubuntu includes more than 16,000 pieces of software, but the core desktop installation fits on a single CD. Ubuntu covers every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to web server software and programming tools. Read more about Ubuntu on the desktop and Ubuntu on the server.

http://www.ubuntu.com

-BP
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Free Member

THanks BP

Indeed, this is a VERY good Linux distribution.
It's so good, that my notebook has two partitions:

1) Win XP
2) Ubuntu

I used to have PC-BSD on my second partition, but it never recognized my Wifi card
Ubuntu recognizes all my hardware.
I think Ubuntu IS the best "put together" distribution.

( However, I still prefer any of the BSDs for Server systems )

-kwag
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to heyitsme
Yeah agree ubuntu is a great distro. I have been using it on my laptop as well. The only thing that keeps me from using it completely is the lack of wine support for the autodesk series. Im comfortable using varicad as a mechanical desktop but i still enjoy the feel of autocad over the other cad programs i have tried on linux. But all in all a great distro.
08-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Free Member

Yep, me too. I have to switch back and forth between both OSes because of several Windows applications that I use.
That's the only thing that keeps me from wiping out XP completely from my drive
Hopefully one (not so far) day I will be able to do just that

-kwag
08-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Free Member

@kwag and heyitsme,

Since I'm a knobb with Linux, I studing the online beginners course
http://www.linux.org/lessons/
As for desktop styles of GNOME vs KDE,
which one has more options and features?

-BP
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black prince
As for desktop styles of GNOME vs KDE,
which one has more options and features?

-BP
KDE is more "Windows" like.
I like GNOME better, because it's faster and more lean.
However!, if you want the best eye candy, jaw opening desktop, take a look at elive
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/Screenshots/ (download the development version. Not the stable )

-kwag
08-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Free Member

@kwag,

Kwag wrote:
Quote:
KDE is more "Windows" like.
I like GNOME better, because it's faster and more lean.
However!, if you want the best eye candy, jaw opening desktop, take a look at elive Very Happy
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/Screenshots/ (download the development version. Not the stable Wink )
Elive WOW !!!

Thanks Kwag

-BP
08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black prince

Elive WOW !!!

Thanks Kwag

-BP
Cool. Isn't it
And it's also Debian based, so the same roots as Ubuntu

-kwag
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Free Member

just look for the guides that say "E17 for ubuntu" and you will have that WM...

11-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Free Member

Just to update this thread
This is what eLive currently looks like:
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/Scree...ons/index.html
And if anyone is not aware of this, yellowdoglinux just released a version for the the new Playstation 3
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/
Just guess what window manager they choosed

-kwag
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Free Member

Hi Kwag (and all there),
as you may remember, from time to time I posted here saying I downloaded a livecd distro, and tested, and thought about installing it... but never dare.

Till I came across with Elive. Looked so nice, clean. Elive LiveCD recgnised so well my hardware. So many multimedia applications out of the box. Synaptic is so easy. ...and I could go on for ages.

So decided to install Elive in my hard drive, together with WXP. Installation also smooth, partitioning with gparted really easy (even for a noob, the noobest related to Linux), a doubt related to filesystem. I chose XFS, but in the end followed Elive advise and used ReiserFS.

Second doubt: where to install GRUB. In the MBR sounded bad to me, so i decided to install in hda2, aling with Elive.

When I booted after install, I had several problems with my graphic card (worked well in LiveCD, problems after installation), that solved booting in safe mode and reinstalling nvidia drivers (it took some time to figure out how).

And my first boot in Elive... NICE. Beautiful. And once you get used to the way it works, its easy. WXP didn't like at all to have other OS in the same drive (several CHKDSKs and so on), but in the end they did well together.

Today I decided to erase Elive and install Kubuntu. Why?. Well, I find Elive still hard for everyday use for a noob. When you install an application it may or may no appear in menus or ibar to be launched, and it's difficult (for a noob) to make it work properly.

I'm quite sure I'll be back to Elive in some time, when I get more used to Linux, but it's not for me nowadays.

[sorry for this post, just relating the experience of a noob with Elive, but I wanted to tell that YES, it's a great distro, but not for a noob]
12-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitall.doc

Today I decided to erase Elive and install Kubuntu. Why?. Well, I find Elive still hard for everyday use for a noob. When you install an application it may or may no appear in menus or ibar to be launched, and it's difficult (for a noob) to make it work properly.
Hi digidoc,

Yes, indeed, Ubuntu is probably the "Windows" of all Linux distributions
However!, have you tried "elive_0.5.3_unstable.iso", which is the latest (current) developer's build
It's superb!
But if you are happy with Ubuntu, or Kubunto, they are also a very good choice
Even though I'm a "BSD" guy, I have to admit that Linux has the edge, by FAR, on the desktop. So I myself use BSD's for server applications, and Linux for desktop applications. Either way, they are just far better than any WInDoOoOoze version

-kwag
12-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Free Member

No Karl, the version I installed was the last stable, Elive Revolution.

I didn't try latest unstable, but I believe it will still be for more experienced people than me. I don't have any problem with terminal, I think I could get accostumed and learn Debian. But I'm too used to winblows, to tools like searching for files, creating links, designing menus to my desire, GUIs,... and so on.

It is my fault, not Elive one, for sure. After testing it I even liked more to have a desktop without icons, and accessing applications through menus, or ibar (I loved it). But once I tried to install new applications, or modify menus, I realised that it'd be better to begin with a more noob-friendly distro.

I'll keep an eye on Elive. And I even can install Ebuntu (that's Ubuntu with Enlightenment as window manager) if they continue to develop it some day .
12-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to heyitsme
At the moment i use 6.10 with aiglx and beryl for eye candy to impress. Otherwise its simple metacity with gnome. As far as applications, im able to do everything i did on windows with linux. IF there is something that wine cannot handle i have wmware server up with my xp. The only reason i need that is for autocad 2004.

As far as server goes i use 6.06. I have a simple server for moves, files, and running services such as kaid (xbox tunneling program), and hellanzb. Hellanzb is an awesome program that uses nzb to download files from usenet. All you do is save the .nzb to the queue directory it downloads, pars (if needed), and unrars for you. Saves me a lot of time. Though i would like to know if a torrent program works in the same manner. Where it just runs on a server and you copy the file into its queue and its go from there.

As far as BSD ive only used pcbsd. I liked it, but the repository for ubuntu is much better than pcbsd's pbi system.

Anyhow i'm very impressed by linux, always dipped my toes in the water waiting for it to warm up and i think it finally has.

Branden
12-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme
... kaid (xbox tunneling program), and hellanzb. Hellanzb is an awesome program that uses nzb to download files from usenet.
Thanks for the tips, Branden
I wasn't aware of that!

Cheers,
-kwag
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme
At the moment i use 6.10 with aiglx and beryl for eye candy to impress...
Hi Branden,
nice post, makes me feel more encouraged to keep testing Kubuntu.
I read about Beryl, and wanted to install xgl/Beryl, and Kiba Dock (I miss engage from E17). But didn't dare yet because I'm still with nv driver.
I have an old GeForce2 MX 200, more than enough for my everyday work, but that didn't like legacy drivers at the begining, and I'm still trying to tweak them to be able to install xgl/Beryl and so on.

I don't know if this low-level GPU will be able to manage Beryl, but I would like to, because, as you posted, it's really eye-candy...