Quantcast Avisynth: Need Some Help with my First Script - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
10-31-2006, 06:20 AM
Free Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I wasn't sure about what section I had to post my request, so please excuse me if this is not the right one (and sorry if my english is poor, I'm italian). By the way, here's the question:
My goal is to make a kdvd backup from my original Lost 1st season (PAL). I read in kdvd specification that it can fit up to 6 hrs in one single DVD-5, so that means I can put the entire season (17 hours and an half) into 2 DVD-9 or even just one DVD-9 (using the half resolution template). Then I'm gonna use DVDLab to author the dvd, which I CAN use so I won't bother you about that . I got three questions:

1 - The first, the most important: I got problems with avisynth. I have installed version 2.5x, and all the needed plugins, but when I try to open the script with wmp (classic), it seems like there's some missing codec: wmp tries a couple of times to connect to his server to download a codec, then after a couple of tries tells me he cannot play the file. Please note that wmp does not show any red message on black screen (I see that happens trying to play wrong scripts).

2 - I would like to keep the anamorphic aspect ratio. How can I do this? I read that FitCd can produce correct avs script, but I'm unsure about what parameters I have to feed it. And about avs script, is the one in the sticky post right for my purpose?

3 - The steps to follow. The kdvd template must be loaded before or after opening the source video in TMPEG? Is it the same or one step must be achieved before the other?

I hope you can help me, thanks to you all
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattotimo
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
Ciao Matteo.

Quote:
I read in kdvd specification that it can fit up to 6 hrs in one single DVD-5, so that means I can put the entire season (17 hours and an half) into 2 DVD-9 or even just one DVD-9 (using the half resolution template).
One things to know is that the 6 hrs are estimated for a widescreen material, that is a movie shot in 2.35:1. Lost episodes are in 1.85 (or 1.77 I do not remember well) so this is more like 4hours that you can expect on a DVD5. with 17 hours and 2 DVD9, you should have enought space.
Personnaly I put 8 episodes of Lost on a DVD-5 with the half template (two audio - one subtitle). That is 3 DVD-5 for the whole season.

Quote:
1 - The first, the most important: I got problems with avisynth. I have installed version 2.5x, and all the needed plugins, but when I try to open the script with wmp (classic), it seems like there's some missing codec: wmp tries a couple of times to connect to his server to download a codec, then after a couple of tries tells me he cannot play the file. Please note that wmp does not show any red message on black screen (I see trying to play wrong scripts).
A YV12 capable codec is needed to play the result of an avisynth script, as this is the native color space used by avisynth. Install for instance the XVID codec (or Divx). Don't worry, that does not mean that avisynth produces xvid or divx material.

Quote:
2 - I would like to keep the anamorphic aspect ratio. How can I do this? I read that FitCd can produce correct avs script, but I'm unsure about what parameters I have to feed it. And about avs script, is the one in the sticky post right for my purpose?
Can you explain better what you expect : do you plan to keep the DVD as anamorphic (that means a 16/9 picture stetched vertically) or do you want to do a 4/3 DVD with the 16/9 picture "letterboxed" in the middle of it ?
Concerninng the script : you will have to add a deinterlacing filter at top, but I will explain you that afterwards.

Quote:
3 - The steps to follow. The kdvd template must be loaded before or after opening the source video in TMPEG? Is it the same or one step must be achieved before the other?
The template first, the script after. This way this is the script that gives the final resolution and not the template. This way if you take thje wrong template by mistake, there is not importance.
10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Free Member

Ciao Phil!
Thanks for your help. I'll try to answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Lost episodes are in 1.85 (or 1.77 I do not remember well) so this is more like 4hours that you can expect on a DVD5. with 17 hours and 2 DVD9, you should have enought space.
Personnaly I put 8 episodes of Lost on a DVD-5 with the half template (two audio - one subtitle). That is 3 DVD-5 for the whole season.
Yes, Lost episodes are in 1.78:1. So 2 dvd-9 should be enough for the whole season + extras with the half template (2 audio and subtitles).

Quote:
A YV12 capable codec is needed to play the result of an avisynth script, as this is the native color space used by avisynth. Install for instance the XVID codec (or Divx). Don't worry, that does not mean that avisynth produces xvid or divx material.
Ok! I just installed divx codecs and the avs script finally plays fine!

Quote:
Can you explain better what you expect : do you plan to keep the DVD as anamorphic (that means a 16/9 picture stetched vertically) or do you want to do a 4/3 DVD with the 16/9 picture "letterboxed" in the middle of it ?
My preferred option would be the first one: I'd like to keep my kdvd as anamorphic as the original one. Do you think it's a good idea or is it just a waste of time and disc-space?

Quote:
Concerninng the script : you will have to add a deinterlacing filter at top, but I will explain you that afterwards.
Ok, I'll do it. I'll post my script as it is now at the end of this post, and if you want you could suggest what changes are needed, like the deinterlacing thing.

I wanna thank you again for your help, I hope I gave you all the informations you need to help me. Now, here's my script as it is now:

## DLL Section ##
#
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\GripFit_YV12.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\STMedianFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\asharp.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\unfilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\undot.dll")
#
####
## Main section and static filters ###
#
Mpeg2Source("E:\Lavoro KVCD\lost.d2v")
LanczosResize(688,416,0,70,720,436)
AddBorders(16,80,16,80)
#Trim(0,62523).FadeOut(150)
undot()
asharp(1, 4)
STMedianFilter(3, 3, 1, 1 )
MergeChroma(blur(1.5))
MergeLuma(blur(0.1))
#
#

## Linear Motion Adaptive Filtering ##
#
# ( Portions from AviSynth's manual )
# This will apply variable temporalsoften
# and variable blur.
# Both filters are active at all times, and work inversely proportional to the
# activity, measured from current frame to next frame.

ScriptClip(" nf = YDifferenceToNext()" +chr(13)+ "unfilter( -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)), -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)) ).TemporalSoften( fmin( round(2/nf), 6), round(1/nf) , round(3/nf) , 1, 1) ")

#
#
#

#GripBorders()
#LetterBox( Your_Values_Here ) # Depends on situation. Use MovieStacker!

#
#
## Functions ###

function fmin( int f1, int f2) {
return ( f1<f2 ) ? f1 : f2
}

ConvertToRGB24() # For TMPGEnc or VFAPI
#
####
10-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
My preferred option would be the first one: I'd like to keep my kdvd as anamorphic as the original one. Do you think it's a good idea or is it just a waste of time and disc-space?
352*576 anamorphic is not standard, so your player will perhaps not play the discs. If you don't mind to make a non-standard DVD you should download the KDVD sample disc that I did, there is a test for all resolutions, standard and not.
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15522

Else, as I used 3 DVD-5 for the season in 352*576 not anamorphic and you plan to use 2 DVD-9 to do the same in anamorphic, I would says that this is something that sounds possible. But remember that 1.77 anamorphic is actually like a 1.33 picture (anamorphic = the picture is stretched vertically). That means more pixel to encode so more space needed at the end.

Quote:
## DLL Section ##
#
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\TDeint.dll")
#
####
## Main section and static filters ###
#
Mpeg2Source("E:\Lavoro KVCD\lost.d2v")
LanczosResize(688,416,0,70,720,436)
TDeint(order=1,tryweave=true)
#Trim(0,62523).FadeOut(150)
undot()
asharp(1, 4)
STMedianFilter(3, 3, 1, 1 )
MergeChroma(blur(1.5))
MergeLuma(blur(0.1))
#
#

## Linear Motion Adaptive Filtering ##
#
# ( Portions from AviSynth's manual )
# This will apply variable temporalsoften
# and variable blur.
# Both filters are active at all times, and work inversely proportional to the
# activity, measured from current frame to next frame.

ScriptClip(" nf = YDifferenceToNext()" +chr(13)+ "unfilter( -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)), -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)) ).TemporalSoften( fmin( round(2/nf), 6), round(1/nf) , round(3/nf) , 1, 1) ")

#
#
#

AddBorders(16,80,16,80)
#GripBorders()
#LetterBox( Your_Values_Here ) # Depends on situation. Use MovieStacker!

#
#
## Functions ###

}

ConvertToRGB24() # For TMPGEnc or VFAPI
#
####
TDeint is Tritical Deinterlacer :
http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/...l_20060410.zip

Note: your script produce a 704*576 non anamorphic target. Set correctly filtCD to obtain what you wants (ie a 352*576, anamorphic or not, target)
10-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
352*576 anamorphic is not standard, so your player will perhaps not play the discs. If you don't mind to make a non-standard DVD you should download the KDVD sample disc that I did, there is a test for all resolutions, standard and not.
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15522
I thought 352x576 anamorphic was standard, but since it's not I think I'll shift to non-anamorphic. BTW I'll try your sample disc to check what resolutions my player can or cannot handle

Quote:
Note: your script produce a 704*576 non anamorphic target. Set correctly filtCD to obtain what you wants (ie a 352*576, anamorphic or not, target)
While I was waiting for your answer, I tried the avs script I posted before with the KDVD (full resolution) template. The output video was good, but the image was wrongly vertically cropped (actors name in the first part of the movies were only half displayed). Now I see you added this line to the script
AddBorders(16,80,16,80)
is that to prevent that kind of errors?

Thanks again
10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Free Member

I think that you miss how to use fitCD (look for a tutorial on the net) or better use Incredible's tool : Paranoia.

The tool : http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=93
A tutorial in flash done by Rui : http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16590
10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I think that you miss how to use fitCD (look for a tutorial on the net) or better use Incredible's tool : Paranoia.

The tool : http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=93
A tutorial in flash done by Rui : http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16590
Ok, I'll try that one!

edit: Nice tutorial. I'm right now trying encoding with the new script, I'll post later the results
11-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Free Member

352x576 at 16:9 will look very bad I'm afraid. It'll be very blurry because it's stretched so much by the DVD player upon playback.
11-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Free Member

Yesterday I wasn't at home so I couldn't try, right now I'm at work but I left my pc with some homeworks to do , I'm trying both full resolution (CQ 60) and half resolution (CQ 100) to start a comparison. I took the resize script line from Paranoia, while the rest of the script is from Dialhot's suggested one: I'll let you know some impressions when I'll be home again
11-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
352x576 at 16:9 will look very bad I'm afraid. It'll be very blurry because it's stretched so much by the DVD player upon playback.
All my old KVCD/KDVD look blurry now that I'm watching them on a 50" HDTV screen (before I had a 28" 4/3 TV) but things are really better now that I use anytime a LimitedSharpen line. Actually all depend on the size of the TV of gattotimo.
11-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Actually all depend on the size of the TV of gattotimo.
Well, the tv in my room is an old 21" (50hz). The other one (the good one) is a 29" (100hz), which will be probabily soon changed into a little bigger lcd (maybe even a HDTV one). Does it means that the half resolution would be ok for the smaller tv while the full resolution would be the best for the bigger tv, or the limited sharpen line would fix any problem on any tv (so I should use it anyway)?
11-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Free Member

I advice you to use it. The problem is that the file size is increased about 10% or more when you use a sharpen line.

Anyway the optimal script already have a "asharp" line (I never used this script for my own usage). I would just suggest you to replace the "asharp" line by a "limitedsharpen" one. But this filter is a little bit more complicated to use. See there :
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....asc&highlight=
(you can jump to the last page if you need latest informations ).
11-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Ok, I just read the whole thread. I understood just some of the stuff posted there, since I'm almost a newbie to advanced encoding (but you've got to start somewhere, right :P?). BTW, here are my new questions (I hope I'm not bothering you, Phil).
Ok, so LimitedSharpen is a good thing, and, if I'm not wrong, since my source is a good MPG2 maybe it won't be TOO difficult to use that to have good results. I'll start copying what it seems to be a good generic script for clean sources:

Lremovedust(4,1)
limitedsharpen(ss_x=1, ss_y=1, smode=3, strength=50, soft=20)

The first problem is: I read that LS can also be used to resize the video. Should I do so or simply add the above lines after (or before) the bicubicresize one? If the answer is to let LS do the resize, how can it be done?
Second problem: the Lremovedust line. For clean materials like the one I have to encode, that line should be used before or after the LS one?
Third (and last) problem: I read that there is another filter (LSFast) which is (let me guess...) faster than LS, so maybe I should use that one instead. Are his parameters the same as LS or is its usage different?
11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Free Member

To answer to all your questions is faster for me to give you the script that I used :

Code:
DGDecode_Mpeg2source("PATH\NAME.d2v",cpu=4,idct=7)

LanczosResize(... given by Paranoia ...)

LimitedSharpenFaster()
LRemoveDust_YV12(17,1)

MergeLuma(Blur(0.1))
MergeChroma(Blur(1.58))

Addborders(... given by Paranoia ...)
When I'm short in disc space, I sometimes add this line just before the Addborder one
Code:
ScriptClip(" nf = YDifferenceToNext()" +chr(13)+ "unfilter( -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)), -(fmin(round(nf)*2, 100)) ).TemporalSoften( fmin( round(2/nf), 6), round(1/nf) , round(3/nf) , 1, 1)  ")
With that line, my script is not so different than the "official" optimal script.

Note : the parameter 17 for LRemoveDust is the mode, in other word, the denoiser that will be used. Perhaps 4 is better than 17, I confess that I did not compare really all the modes.
Note2: yes, LSFaster is "just" a faster implementation of LS. Use it with the same parameters.
11-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Free Member

Mode 17 in RemoveGrain should preserve thin lines better than mode 4 so it's recommended.
11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Free Member

Thanks again guys.
So, after all your suggestions my script is at the moment like this
(source: pal anamorphic, target: pal, half resolution, non anamorphic)
*note: there's surely some unneeded plugin in the load section, but I think that's not harm, isn't it?:

LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\TDeint.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\mt_masktools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\RemoveGrain.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\Repair.dll")

Import("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi")
Import("C:\Programmi\Avisynth 2.5\filters\LRemoveDust_YV12.avsi")

dgdecode_mpeg2source("E:\Lavoro KVCD\lost.d2v", cpu=4, idct=7)
BicubicResize(352,432,1./3.,1./3.,10,0,700,572)
TDeint(order=1,tryweave=true)
LimitedSharpenFaster()
LRemoveDust_YV12(17,1)
MergeLuma(blur(0.1))
MergeChroma(blur(1.58 ))

Letterbox(16,16,16,16)

}

Addborders(0,72,0,72)

I unpacked both the removegrain (v 1.0) package and the masktool one (v 2.0a27) in my filters directory. For the LRemoveDust_YV12 function I found this one

function LRemoveDust_YV12(clip input, int clmode, int "limit")
{
limit=default(limit,2)
clmode=default(clmode,17)
repmode = 2
clensed = Clense(input)
rep = Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode)
rg = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=clmode)
return LimitChange(rg, input, limit)
}

But the script doesn't work: a red message jumps up in wmp saying <There is no function named "limitchange"...>. Where's the bug
11-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
*note: there's surely some unneeded plugin in the load section, but I think that's not harm, isn't it?:
Not it does not harm. Actually, if you rename the folder "filter" to "plugins", avisynth with autoload all the plugin and you can remove all the "Loadplugin" lines.
Quote:
But the script doesn't work: a red message jumps up in wmp saying <There is no function named "limitchange"...>. Where's the bug
See my answer (the second one) there :
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....tchange#125123
11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
See my answer (the second one) there :
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....tchange#125123
Ok, another trouble solved: I should build you some kind of statue, instead of just thanking you .
I'll start encoding with the above posted script, lets see what I'll get. I'll keep you informed as ever
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Free Member

Prego
11-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Free Member

I'm so sorry to keep asking questions, but unfortunally I got antoher problem . I'm sure its solution it's easy, but I'm trying since yesterday and I still can't get over it: TMPEGEnc simply stopped working with avs scripts (even the simpliest ones). I tried to uninstall the program and reinstall other versions (even deleting the ini files), but the end is always the same: when I try to load my brand new avs script, TMPEG says something like "file type not supported". I even tried to reenter the avsreader key in the registry, but it doesn't work. The strange thing it's that I didn't do any change to the system since the last time TMPEG worked. And, of course, the script itself plays great with wmp. TMPEG still can accept d2v files. Maybe I should have this question posted in the TMPEG area, I eventually posted it here to keep a continuity with my whole "case". Where's the trick ?