Quantcast KVCD: Xvid/Divx Topics!? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Free Member

hi, just finished converting my dvds into kvcds. i also have about 20 xvid files i wanted to transfer to kvcd and when i started searching for info i find that its not allowed here??? i can't understand this at all? i've read posts that say people come here and only want to discuss divx/xvid topics. so what? you're saying that because a majority of the people want to discuss xvid that we can't discuss it anymore? another point is that most xvid/divx material is illegally downloaded from the net. well, i assure you that if you want to illegally download movies from the net that for every xvid movie you find, you can surely find a full dvd rip of that movie and then some! also, i've read that converting most xvids to kvcd will result in poor quality and it ruins the reputation of the kvcd! i just recently found out about kvcd because i got a kvcd movie (transferred from xvid) and the quality blew me away, the xvid conversion is why i was interested! then there are the posts about 'its not allowed and you knew before you registered! i came to the site this way : http://www.kvcd.net/portal/index.php then i clicked on the link for forum registration (cause i only wanted to view your forums) : http://www.kvcd.net/portal/articles.php?lng=en&pg=378 there is the page where i'm asked to pay for forum use. perhaps i've overlooked it but where on those 2 pages does it mention that xvid/divx material isn't allowed to be discussed (i understand that its in plain view after you've registered)??? i understand that most of the guys here with more knowledge of kvcds look negatively on xvid and i understand that. however, if there are people registered on these forums that want to talk about xvid material, why can't they have a section? none of the mods or anyone that dislikes xvid has to post within that section. there should be a place in these forums where people can post about the files they want without worrying about getting kicked or being yelled at, its that simple! thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Free Member

i don't quite understand either that xvid-topics are denied... and excuse for that is that they are illegal! what.....?
here's for example a site that distributes movies LEGALLY in divx/xvid format. and they can be downloaded using bittorrent which is also a bit controversy but still legal!!!!
11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Free Member

I agree that there should be freedom of speech but those are the rules of this forum, you should probably also join a forum where discussions about xvid are allowed and keep the discussions here purely on the allowed topics.

Although I also agree that you can get good results with xvid/divx to KVCD conversions using avisynth but then you cant compare them with the DVD to KVCD quality levels.
11-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Free Member

There is not and it won't for a matter of quality. Nothing to do with Warez. Discussion ended.

@will_diddy
The old threads talking about xvid/divx are still present and readable and a lot of sticky post in the "avi -> kvcd" section of the forum are guides for converting Divx to KVCD, as this section was originally aimed to that. The matter is that 80% of the activity of the forum was in that, meaning tht moderators (that I was at this time) had to past several hours only just to read all the posts there and check if all was legal in them. Unlike you think moderators must read all posts, that is why moderators are there. However all the informations you should need is already covered in these numerous posts.

Concerning the way you used to register to the forum, that is true that there is no mention about Divx / Xvid conversation not allowed. I'm sorry about that and I'm fixing it right now.
11-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Free Member

dialhot, i don't understand about checking all post to see if they are legal or not! is it illegal for me to rip my personal commerial dvd (i'm not sure but it could be unless i don't fully understand DMCA or EUCD). regardless, if its fine for me to rip a commerial dvd that i own into kvcd then it must be fine for me to rip my own dvd into xvid format and then into a kvcd! i understand thats a time consumer and most people think xvid format is trash (a majority of people think its a waste of time converting anything into K format - outside of this forum) but its still personal opinion and if someone wants to do that then its up to them. what about all of the dvds that i had ripped to divx and now the originals are too scratched to rip again?

i understand the old posts are still there. however, i had just hoped that technology had somewhat changed and new filters/scripts were there to be discussed.
11-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_diddy
dialhot, i don't understand about checking all post to see if they are legal or not
We can't tell if what you are talking about is legal or not before to read it, isn't it ? Only by reading the post entirely we can know if member is talking about something he owns or something he downloaded, and hence if that dled thing is legal or not.

Quote:
for me to rip my own dvd into xvid format and then into a kvcd!
Surely, but as we do not enforce methods that lead to a disaster (quality speaking), then these discussions are prohibited.
An other way to answer to that is that if people are stupid enought to think we'll be as stupid as they are to believe they really convert their DVD twice... I personally can't do anything for them.

Quote:
i understand thats a time consumer and most people think xvid format is trash
I do not. But converting a DVD that you own to Xvid first then to KVCD is trash. Convert directly from your DVD to KVCD.

Quote:
but its still personal opinion and if someone wants to do that then its up to them.
Again you are right. As it's up to us to decide if we want them to not speak about that here.

Quote:
what about all of the dvds that i had ripped to divx and now the originals are too scratched to rip again?
Why to rip them to Divx if you still continue to use the DVD ? Ripping is generaly the way to save your DVD by keeping them in a safe place, isn't it ?

Quote:
i understand the old posts are still there. however, i had just hoped that technology had somewhat changed and new filters/scripts were there to be discussed.
To that I can anwser : technology did not change enought to invalidate present guides and discussions about filters are generally generic enought to be leaded outside the nature of the source, even if sometimes the answers you receive are influenced because we have in mind a DVD source.
11-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Free Member

Just another lovely Divx/Xvid topic, huh?
I guess when somebody registers they should receive a copy of the disclaimer, alright, so they can still choose to enter or not.
But that Dialhot has already admitted and he will change that ASAP.
Now, most of us don't think that divx/xvid are crap.
Quite the opposite, we think both are quite alright but when it comes to pick a source we will always go for DVD instead of anything else unless if it's a home movie or a TV rip.
Or unless some Hollywood studio starts shipping their new titles in divx/xvid .
So if you ask me divx/xvid should stay off premises.
Unless if someone posts a question that is not 100% about divx/xvid but it proves to have much to do with advanced video conversion.
After all that is still the main topic in this forum .

A bit off-topic it is my opinion that we should also ban conversation about ripping software as that is also prohibited in a lot of countries.
And it is also my opinion that we should warn a user 3 times before banning him/her for:
- usage of improper language in the forum
- continuous bad temper or even bad attitude towards other users
- writing in caps lock or sWiTcHiNg cAsE (or whatever is the name for that thing)
- and last but not least for not using the correct punctuation/indentation as it seems to be the case of some chaps writing in this topic.
It just happens that the "enter" key was designed to do a carriage return plus a line feed so that the text can be kept clean and easy to read.
Otherwise it gets extremely boring to read more than one line of other users' posts.
11-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Free Member

ripping is not banned, breaking the encryption is and that too by using certain methods and not brute force. Anyway I dont see any topics here which tell users how to develop a decrypter.

English grammer and punctuation etc should not be a criteria for banning, for some people english might not be their mother language, rest stands true.
11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermule
ripping is not banned, breaking the encryption is and that too by using certain methods and not brute force. Anyway I dont see any topics here which tell users how to develop a decrypter.

English grammer and punctuation etc should not be a criteria for banning, for some people english might not be their mother language, rest stands true.
I think rui means the discussion of which decrypter to use to break a specific decryption. I must agree with you both on the grammer. Although many here speak another language and don't spell everything correctly (like me ) , in a sense we are all advanced video editors which mostly deal with foreign languages. IMO It's a matter of respect to the other members of the forum to express yourself as good as possible.
12-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermule
Well I'm not an expert in laws even because every country has it's own.
It just happens that "ripping and/or decrypting a DVD for the purpose of copying it or any other purpose whatsoever" is illegal in many countries.
Read along with me "for copy purposes or any other purposes".
That's the Portuguese law (my own country) and it's pretty much the same all around Europe from what I was told except that in other countries the law is more severe.
And it all boils down to the country hosting this forum and it's laws.
There the criminal and there is the accessory to a criminal.
Since 2002 in my country anybody explaining someone else how to rip/decrypt a DVD is considered accessory to a criminal and he/she can go to jail from 3 to 24 months depending on if it was mass production of counterfeit DVDs or if was simply for self use.
Cool huh?
Even I didn't know this when I answered the previous post .
Well that's just the law because in the real world I see tons of pirated DVDs being sold on street-markets with cops all over the place and they don't arrest anyone...
Can you believe it? Cheap copies of single movies DVDs produced with DVDShrink.
Those guys need a role model.
They need to get some real education.
They need to get in here and learn something about video encoding .

Quote:
Well I'm not talking about how accurate somebody's English is even because mine is faaaaaar from perfect.
I just would like to see people using the enter key when they are supposed to and to see people using upper case (only!) when they should.
Otherwise they are just making it complicated for others to read and reply which is what a forum is used for .
So I keep my point of view that someone who clearly doesn't want to respect the other board members then he or she should be warned several times and then ultimately he/she should be banned.
On a side-note I would say that in terms of grammar you can always move on to FireFox 2.0 that comes with a grammar engine to help us forums geeks .
But all this is pretty much off-topic on an "Xvid rant" kind of topic.
We should stop this or if we feel like continuing then we should use another topic for that .
Cheers
03-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Free Member

hoping to find updated resources on converting divx/xvid is my sole purpose why i registered, only to find guides that have been around for quite some time already. it is a bit frustrating because i wasn't aware of this on the first hand, but if that's what have been agreed by the owners of the technology then i can do nothing about that.

just want to express, my apologies..
03-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimayubar
it is a bit frustrating because i wasn't aware of this on the first hand
I changed this year the faces to put that in bold because it was not so visible when you registered in november, but the page where the Paypal buttons are present , so the one you saw before to register, clearly says :

Quote:
Also, we do NOT discuss any DivX/XviD related topics on this site.
Nevertheless, as I adviced to someone that asked this to me by mail before to register this week, the mechanisms to convert a source are quite the same whatever its format, so you have a lot to learn in the forum that can be used for Divx source or whatever else. Actually, only the avisynth script used is really different. Anything else is done regardless of what you are converting from.