Quantcast Using KDVD Name/Brand - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Free Member

Hello,
Take a look at this.
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...ls-17477.shtml
Most likely the guy didn't make it on purpose and he only wanted to name is "thing" after KDE and DVD because that's what his tools apparently are used on.
Nevertheless IIRC kvcd and kdvd are registered trademarks.
If this remains true, we should approach him/her and have him slightly change his product.
Just a slight change,...like dropping a K and inserting whatever letter pleases him/her most .
I'm kidding but I thought I'd let you all know, especially Phil.
Cheers
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Free Member

The fact is that lot of Linux tools under KDE starts with "K" but Karl is still owner of the brand. I let him a mail about this. Thank you Rui.
12-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
The fact is that lot of Linux tools under KDE starts with "K" but Karl is still owner of the brand.
Yes I know, maybe 33% of the posix x-windows tools are either named ***-tcl/tk, or ***-gtk or even k****.
They are all named after the set of libraries that makes them possible to exist, like ".net" for windows.
Nevertheless if the kvcd and the kdvd brands are still owned by Karl or yourself, then I think someone should get in touch with those guys.
Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to buy copyrights in the 1st place, right?
Cheers
12-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Free Member

Thanks Rui and Phil!

Here's the E-Mail I just sent Holger, the developer:

Code:
Hello Holger,

Would it be possible, if it doesn't cause too much problem, to rename your software to something like "K-DVD-RAM" ?
I write you because I hold the copyright for "KDVD" and "KVCD" at http://www.kvcd.net, and we own the name now for over four (4) years, and the names KVCD and KDVD are very well known and associated to KVCD.Net all over the Internet.
I wouldn't want to see confussion on world wide users, and specially KDE (Desktop) users throughout the world,  when they start refering to KDVD as a formatting  tool, when it's already well known as a video conversion format  :)
Please, is this possible?
I think it would help us both!

Thanks,
-Karl
http://www.kvcd.net

Now let's wait for the reply

-kwag
12-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Free Member

Hi Karl,
Even if he doesn't reply I guess we did what had to be done.
Thanks Karl .
Cheers