Quantcast Just Got a New HP Compaq Nx6325 - Nice! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
04-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Yesterday I had a visit in my local PC store here in Cologne.
There I saw it, a HP nx6325 Notebook, the model which comes with "Free DOS", and so the price was that attractive that I couldn't resist: 490,- Euros

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/de/de...&lang=de&cc=de

I installed Win XP and all I need for development, for shure VLC and other video playback related stuff

Then for shure I wanted to check its video-out capabilities via its integrated s-video option.
The picture is very good for a s-video signal, correct overscan, correct luma and chroma. So on my Panasonic 16:9 32" CRT 16:9 Videos are shown including nice details etc. ... and if I gonna MPC and ffdshow for decoding and its integrated filtering while playback, Im shure the output will be even better.

As mentioned I did install XP, but I saw in the www that some people really did get Ubuntu working finally, means that all given hardware components are working and are supported.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Free Member

@Incredible

I did see the specifications and as a matter of fact it's a pretty decent note.

Congrats and enjoy it!

See ya,
04-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Free Member

Have fun Andrej
Have you tried Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) on it yet

-kwag
04-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Well, it was no prob to get the needed drivers for windows to get everything of the hardware supported and running.

But i've read that installing Linux on such a notebook could be a pain in the ... as many drivers arent that easy to find/handle/install.
So when I do have time to experiment, Ill give an install a try.

EDIT:
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/viewtopi...=703051#703051
Ahhh: http://vale.homelinux.net/wordpress/?p=148

I do hope they will put it online soon!

But this seems like a howto:
http://vale.homelinux.net/wordpress/?p=144
05-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Free Member

The company bought me one of those (overall we actually bought 3).
Very good if you ask me.
Only downsides are the LCD screen (1), DVD burner(2) and the lack of a UART controller with a Serial comms port.
(1) - I find it to be very low light at least when compared to Toshiba's and Sony's products.
(2) - It's an LG drive with some problems when I try to use EAC since all LG drives cache 35Kb!!!
(3) - I know I can use a USB to Serial converter but some devices just don't like those converters and refuse to communicate and since I'm a communications tech guy sometimes I have a bad time getting it to work...

But overall it is a very good buy if you consider the price.
Ours came with XP Pro preinstalled.
We used the preinstalls for maybe 2 weeks and then we decided to format the drives because they were too slow logging on to our domain.
Now they're blazing fast, not only logging on but also in many other tasks.
Maybe because they had 24 () HP tools installed not to mention 2 or 3 media players and the DVD burning software.
They just don't get it, do they?
People want fast-good looking products as in opposed to slow superbly-good looking products full of tools.
At least that's how I see it...
Cheers