Quantcast KVCD: File Size Much Smaller than Expected? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Free Member

Lately when encoding, I set the bitrates so the out put file size is ~790MB - 800MB, but when the file comes out it is ~500 - 600MB and sometimes when I burn to disc and play them on my DVD player I get the video, but no sound. Can someone give me some insight on this?

I think it has something to do with my settings in tmpgenc. This only happens every once in a while, not all the time.

I had a look through this thread:
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2223&start=0

The image links are broken.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-19-2007, 02:20 AM
Free Member

You are talking about setting the bitrate and result with no audio, what is surprisig you... so I guess that you don't use the official KVCD templates. Why ?
06-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Free Member

What is surprising is that this does not happen all the time. the file plays fine on the computer with audio just not in my player.

There have been times when I set the the bitrates so that the out put file is over 1 gig. At some times the file comes out as 600 MB. As I stated before this is not a natural occurance! I was experimenting with some settings and that is when these problems began to occur.

I will try your advice.

Thank you!
06-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
What is surprising is that this does not happen all the time. the file plays fine on the computer with audio just not in my player.
This does not answer to the question : why don't you use the official template ? FYI tmpenc is a very bad audio encoder, and what suprises you is not really a big surprise.

Quote:
I was experimenting with some settings and that is when these problems began to occur.
There is no way the filesize is not the one you expect if you set the bitrate. Filesize = Movie length x bitrate. I'm quite sure you are not really doing what you think you do.

You probably set the max bitrate, or the min bitrate, but not "THE" bitrate (i.e : the average bitrate).
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Free Member

I am using the official templates, that is if you mean these. I am aware that tmpgenc has a bad audio encoder which is why I used tooLAME at the time.

When going by this guide, I encoded an 82 minute movie and used calcumatic to determine the bitrate and it came out 1158 kb/sec for the video, but whenever I would play the video in winamp, it shows that it is 192 kb/s and the picture looks very pixilated. I opened the file with g-spot and it shows the bitrate to be something much higher and when I browsed for the file to encode it, after I tried readAVS, I was only able to browse for an .avs file.

Again, I was not getting these problems before experiment with a few settings like the gop structure quantize matrix and the environmental settings.

I was also trying to use this guide, but I had problems with that one. A few links were dead and There was a certain sampler.dll I was not able to get a hold of using those links.
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I am using the official templates, that is if you mean these. I am aware that tmpgenc has a bad audio encoder which is why I used tooLAME at the time.
Ok, you seems to be aware about the most important things then. I did not use tooLAME since a long time, but it is not known to have such problem.

Quote:
Again, I was not getting these problems before experiment with a few settings like the gop structure quantize matrix and the environmental settings.
Did you try to run a new project, then load the source and as last step load the template ? This is the best way to be sure about the settings you have in tmpgenc.
Else save the project you have in text format and post it on the forum, I will check the parameters you have.

Quote:
I was also trying to use this guide, but I had problems with that one. A few links were dead and There was a certain sampler.dll I was not able to get a hold of using those links.
Ok, so you are trying to encore from an avi. I guess we reach the end of the discussion, isn't it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclaimer
Remember, this website is for personal and legal use. KVCD.Net won't take any responsibilities in any way for how you choose to use the instructions, software and links in this guides. This pages only serves as a guide to learning, NOT a guide to DVD piracy or anything illegal. By reading this, you automatically agree to abide by this rules. If you don't agree, please leave this site immediately. All KVCD templates, KVCD Quantization Matrix, and the contents of this pages unless otherwise specified are Copyright (c) 2002, 2003 of KVCD.Net. Duplication of links or content for commercial or illegal use is strictly prohibited. This site contains links to other sites. KVCD.Net is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.
Also, we do NOT discuss any DivX/XviD related topics on this site.
06-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Did you try to run a new project, then load the source and as last step load the template ? This is the best way to be sure about the settings you have in tmpgenc.
Else save the project you have in text format and post it on the forum, I will check the parameters you have.
OK - How can I save the project in text format?
06-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Free Member

Select the file format in the dropbox before to save it, by default it's "tmgenc project" and you can select "tmpgec text project". But any way, read again the very last sentence in my previous answer.