Quantcast KVCD.net in the Future? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Free Member

hello

I want to know whats gonna happen to kvcd in the not-so-far future when probably h.264, mpg4 takes over the dvd standard. Is this web still goin to be up? maybe you'll develop a new kvcd matrix for this kind of source? changin name to khdvd ¿? he

Saluts
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Free Member

Personnaly, I did not start to encode in h264 yet. Despite my 2.23Ghz dual core I still find .264 encode too long. And of course BD-RE price does not worth the pain. CD are definitively out imho, even if I still receive question about KVCD, but DVD have several years to live (3...may be 4).

The only true question I have to aswer is : do I stop the paying regsitration ? I don't want to 'open' the forum but I'm often confused when someone pay 3 bucks to enter while I know we don't have something brand new to offer.

Anyway, noone came co me for complain, and I try to still answer to all questions, from new comers or old pals. So I hope we don't have lost all interrest for audience.
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Free Member

but is the creation of a K matrix for h.264 completely out of dicussion?

saluts
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Free Member

Yep. H(X).264 is definitey the future for "Streaming" medias.
For home theatre, DVDs, etc. MPEG-2 will be with us for a very long time yet, and as Phil said, CDs are out!, so this might as well be KDVD .Net
It would be interesting to apply all the techniques and things we've learned here to h.264.
Hell!, h.264 and x.264 are way FAR better than DivX/XviD, so I wonder what kind of results we would get with optimized matrixes for h.264
Sadly, I no longer have time for video conversion, but if someone starts "The Ball Rolling", we might all get inspired and start some interesting threads
Then maybe Apple comes around and makes you a good offer, Phil

-kwag

( Boulder?, Inc?, Rui?, you hearing )

@Phil. A hint: P.264
07-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Shure

I still do backup my DVDs but since one year I do use x264 (h.264).
I dont use Avisynth any longer and also I do use the Matrixes provided by Sharktooth or others at doom9 or somewhere else.
I dont spent that much time in encoding enhancement anymore as my Job takes much of it and also my 'other' private interests did differ in the last 2-3 Years. And mediaspace isnt an argument (at least for me) anymore. My encodes can be played back using my HTPC so no compilancy issues are the case

But .... I still do think about a x264 prediction tool ... but maybe that has been released by someone else already.
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
I dont use Avisynth any longer
Why ? Whatever the source format or the encoder I use, I'm always using an avisynth script.
It's because of the encoder you are using ?
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
I dont use Avisynth any longer
Why ? Whatever the source format or the encoder I use, I'm always using an avisynth script.
It's because of the encoder you are using ?
Well Inc, I'm also surprised... or not, since in some x264 encodings I applied alpha and beta deblocking, and noise reduction, and found they had light 'undot' and 'blur' effect. So I didn't use avisynth filtering.

Inc, does this mean that you could (or are) do your encodings under Linux?.

I found this thread interesting since I had this question in my mind. Not thinking about the end of this web, but what could be the future direction...
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Free Member

You mean that among the dozens of parameter of x264 some of them are not to configure the result itself, but to filter the source you are encoding ?

And what about resizing ? You don't resize ? (nor crop the black borders ?).
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Well actually I do use a MACmini 2x2GHz Core2Duo for my x264 constant quality encodings using Handbrake. Nothing really complicated. A very nice and small GUI where all you need can be setted easely. Als a little denoiser and deblocker is onboard. The resizing is also done via Handbrake. I always do crop 720 PAL sources first to 704 as this will keep the resizing correkt. I can choose between anamorphic and non anamorphic PAR 1:1 mpeg4 standard. So all I need is given. The resulting PAR 1:1 Movies do take about 1GB including German and English Audios, so ... its amazing. Anamorph 720 Encodes do result in ca. 1.5GB.

The point why Im not using Avisynth (for now) is the time I dont have for testing/scripting trying etc. If the Sources are in a good state -like all my newer DVDs-
then Handbrake comes with everything which is needed to do a good Job.
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
And what about resizing ? You don't resize ? (nor crop the black borders ?).
...you got me here .
I'm not using x264 for backing up my DVDs, but to convert my home videos and send them to my parents (...well, streaming in a way, isn't it?).

But I'm getting used to this encoder. I did tests with DVD sources, and got amazing results with low bitrates. And when using HD resolution, it looked great on PC. So whenever standalone player begin supporting AVC, I think I'll begin to consider converting DVDs to this format...
Closed Thread