Quantcast Paranoia Infected with Malware? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Free Member

Hi all!
Long time between visits... we're getting old...

Well, the reason of my post is in the subject: Avast detected our old and beloved Inc's PARanoia resizer as being infected by malware (I don't remember which), and blocked it.
I uploaded the file to Avast, and tested it in VirusTotal. The malware is supposed to be also detected by BitDefender, McAffee, Panda,... about 27 antivirus programs.

Did you ever have any problem with PARanoia being detected as a threaten by your anti-virus?.
Did you ever hear anything like this?.
What do you think?.
Can we contact Andrej and inform him, does it make any sense?.

Wait your comments. Cheers.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Never. Most of antivirii complain because of compacted exe, necessary to prevent reverse decompile of it, which they can't scan. Example f-secure, Gdata, Ikarus, Pctools...

By the way, I doubt an exe which never changed since several years can't stay undiscovered for so much time by any decent antivirus program running on a PC if it was infected .

Note: I'm using NOD32, known as very good antivir, which never complained
02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
...By the way, I doubt an exe which never changed since several years can't stay undiscovered for so much time by any decent antivirus program running on a PC if it was infected .
That was exactly my first thought.

I can disable Avast engine every time I use PARanoia, and then enable it again, but it's a little disgusting... I will have to live with it, and wait if Avast revises the file I sent them and decide not to consider PARanoia as a threaten...

So you use NOD32. NOD32 was tested and didn't detect any problem indeed. BitDefender reported: "Gen:Packer.Generic.dmHfaK9WgZs", maybe that packer in the name refers to the compacted exe.
I will put an eye on NOD32.
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Free Member

Yeah, that's it.
Antivirii sotwares never liked packed exe. I guess Nod32 would complain too if I'd have enabled the "detect potentially bad files", that I disabled to avoid such "I don't know what it is but it's possible that it may eventually be a virus" false positive detection .