Quantcast Separating Audio from Video in Youtube Flv Movie Clips - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Free Member

Greetings folks.
Long time I don't post here and also long time that I haven't played with video stuff.
I have downloaded some FLV movie clips from Youtube and I want to separate the audio from the video.
In the end I want to have an H.264 MPEG-4 AVC (avc1) video file and an AAC (mp4a) audio file.
I do not want to reencode.
The reason why I want to do this is because I found some small cartoon videos with audio in Portuguese (my native language) but with awful video quality. I also found the exact same cartoon videos with audio in English/Spanish/French/etc and with excellent video quality.
If I took the audio from the Portuguese clips and the video from the non-Portuguese clips I would end up with excellent video quality in Portuguese which is exactly what I want.
All help will be very much appreciated
Cheers

== EDIT ==
Forgot to mention that my first move was trying to load the file in virtualdub mod, but vdub says it can't open this file.
With vdub I believe I could achieve what I want, right? I mean, separate audio from video without reencoding.

Last edited by rds_correia; 01-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Site Staff / Owner

YAMB does it.

Try that. And if it doesn't work, get back to me. (I'm going off memory at the moment.)
I use 3 programs for demuxing -- Avidemux, YAMB, and FLV Extract.
01-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Free Member

Hi kpmedia.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yea, yesterday I googled it a bit more and I eventually found FLV Splitter.
It's a .Net application but it runs on Linux with Mono installed. Yep, I forgot to mention that I'm on Linux.
Do you know a native Linux app that does the same? Avidemux doesn't open the file .

I did split the FLV in two files with FLV Splitter. Got one audio AAC file and one h264 video file.
But now I have another problem: It seems that the Portuguese clips don't have the same length as the English/French ones.
So I end up with an audio sync problem.
Is there a tool that I can load the AAC and the h264 file and see a the video frames and a wave?
That way, looking at the frames I would know when a speech was about to start and looking at the wave I would see when there is silence and when there is "noise". That would help me sync'ing the video and the audio.
All help will be greatly appreciated .
Cheers
01-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Site Staff / Owner

I've really gotten to like Xubuntu, but unfortunately video is a really weakness of Linux -- honestly not that far behind MaC. Either you use Windows apps (Wine often works, or VirtualBox), or you're in for one heck of a hard time. Try YAMB, to makes sure the program you tried isn't mucking up the audio and the real problem.

It's not free, and again Windows, but we've used the new TMPGEnc Smart Rendered 4 for a lot of audio sync projects, where it involved H.264. It's a really nice program for that.

-KP
01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Free Member

That's interesting. Why would doesn't anyone code open source video editing tools for Linux?
I would understand if I can't have anything similar to Avisynth on Linux because there isn't anything similar to Avisynth, not for Linux and not for Windows or any other OS.
VDub is similar to Avidemux and I can use Mencoder/ffmpeg both in Win as well as in Linux for video encoding.
For subs I can use Aegisub.
For authoring there is Bombono.
I wouldn't know what to use instead of PgcEdit/PgcDemux, though.
But right now I'm not dealing with DVD. I am dealing with MKV, FLV, x264/h.264 and AAC.
Audacity works but only on audio...
Do you know any place where I can find people that can help me with video editing in Linux?
Cheers
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Site Staff / Owner

The always digitalFAQ.com in addition to this one