Quantcast Recording Video: Filter for Cable Interference? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Free Member

Hi all. I'm capturing a VHS source that I recorded from a poor quality cable system several years ago, and there is a defect in the picture that is absolutely killing my MPEG encoding quality. There are some horizontal lines of distortion slowly scrolling up through he picture that looks like some sort of electrical interference.

The lines themselves are not that much of a problem because they don't really show that badly after I run a few VDub filters over them. The real problem is that the distorted areas are sucking up all the MPEG bits, causing the rest of the picture to look really blocky. I'm using kwag's 352x240 Plus template for this at a CQ_VBR of 30, which is a perfect fit for the CD. It just looks like crap.

I have tried flaxen VHS, dynamic noise reduction, and high quality smart smoother with VDub, but none of these has really been able to save the MPEG. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm stumped.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Free Member

Hi segfault,

Have you tried SansGrip filters? Maybe FluxSmooth() or NoMoSmooth(). The filters are here: http://www.kvcd.net/sansgrip/avisynth

-kwag
12-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Free Member

I have the same problem with my tv reception, check out this thread: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtop...796&highlight= I think one of my problems is that I have two amplifiers (A and B) under the house that aren't grounded
12-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the help, kwag.

I tried both of those filters, but unfortunately I haven't had much luck with them. But you definitely put me on the right track with avisynth filters instead of VDub filters. I checked into avisynth filters and finally found convolution3d, which in conjunction with VDub's internal temporal smoother, seems to do a pretty fair job. It's not perfect, but it works.

Temporal smoother at full power will clean the defect perfectly, but I get a lot of really nasty ghosting artifacts at that power and some of the motion looks unnatural, so I'm not prepared to make that trade-off just yet. Do you know of another filter that will do the same thing without the ghosting?

rendalunit: Thanks for the tip. Fortunately, this problem is now several years in my past, since I now have DirecTV and have no problems with video quality.
12-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

try this:
guava comb

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...0&pagenumber=1

maybe you need it!
12-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the link. I tried it and it helped some, but I haven't had time to really play with it much. Hopefully I can get somewhere with it, but if not, I'm doing enough VHS caps these days that I'm sure it will come in handy sooner or later!