Quantcast Recording Video: Why do I get Very Poor Quality? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Free Member

Kwag, I appreciate the help you gave me last time. I'm trying to encode some stuff on VCD (mainly kids videos plus copies of their DVDs). Seems like whether I copy the DVD (legitimately I believe) or from a good VHS tape, the quality is very poor. VHS is even poor when I view it on the TV card before I record it. Once in VCD format, it's not good at all. What's the likely problem (it's the same with an ATI All in Wonder 7500 card and an Avery card). Is my system not powerful enough (XP2000+, 256MB DDR RAM, ATA100 HD). The test file I downloaded from your site (Green Mile) in LBR was really good. How did you do it? Thanks in advance for helping me out of my confusion.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-15-2002, 12:49 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
I found by getting a mjpeg codec encoding at full format size then re-encoding to Divx MPEG-4 codec gives me great quality. If you have probs getting hold of a mjpeg codec or can't find a mjpeg codec PM me and I'll send you mine.
12-18-2002, 08:48 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to el_mero_zooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Kwag, I appreciate the help you gave me last time. I'm trying to encode some stuff on VCD (mainly kids videos plus copies of their DVDs). Seems like whether I copy the DVD (legitimately I believe) or from a good VHS tape, the quality is very poor. VHS is even poor when I view it on the TV card before I record it. Once in VCD format, it's not good at all. What's the likely problem (it's the same with an ATI All in Wonder 7500 card and an Avery card). Is my system not powerful enough (XP2000+, 256MB DDR RAM, ATA100 HD). The test file I downloaded from your site (Green Mile) in LBR was really good. How did you do it? Thanks in advance for helping me out of my confusion.
B,
soundz like yer hardware is fine and powerful enuff for some good capping.. there's a few things to try or do b4 cappturingg...
If you have a spare drive use that solely to capture, turn off antivirus progs, and any other apps that may be running. defrag your harddrive,
for vhs- do you have macrovision turned off? have you cleaned the vcr heads? ff'd and then rewound the tape before capturing? Are you using a signal clarifier in between the vcr and the ATI? does your vcr have an S-Video Out Port? Are you copying or ripping the dvd's? What version drivers and MMC are u using with the 7500? What brand of motherboard (and any chipset updates/version) and ram are on your rig? what OS?
Like andy said, the mjpg codec is really good, i capp a good chunk of tv shows wit it, when im in a hurry. Try the lossless huffyuv codec with virtual dub or avi_io and see if you notice a difference.

ztr....