Quantcast KDVD: Max Compatibility with DVD Players? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
06-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Free Member

Hello,

New to kdvd's- but I seriously need to fit 7 hours on a compliant dvd- note, I'm looking for max compatibility.

I'm using the 1/2 D template and have a basic familiarity with tmgnec (though I usually use CCE, it simply won't hack it at bitrates low enough for this much material). I thought I'd give the kdvd templates a shot.

My question- I'm frameserving via avisynth (filtered and resized to 352x480 for ntsc) and I simply used the default settings. This includes 'Very High' precision in motion estimate (I don't mind the extra time) and a (grayed out) Quality=70 (CQ). The only thing I changed was the aspect ratio (to 4:3, which is correct for my source). However, when I loaded the KDVD template, I noticed an odd framerate indicated- 23ish??

Now, in the settings, I went with the standard 29.9 (which was the default there). Was this correct?

Also, any added advice on tmpgnec settings? Sorry, but most of the guides are geared more for vcd and while I usually try things out quite a bit before asking questions, I'm looking at a 30 hour encode and would rather find out now if I've screwed anything up!

My main concern- compliant DVDs that will actually play out okay at this low a bitrate! (I can't believe you can fit this much on a DVD! Look forward to checking out the results!) Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

06-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Free Member

Welcome rob1

First of all, you need to use file size prediction in order to assure that you will fit your material to the size of the media. You can't use the default value I set in the template. That's just a filler value. If you do, there's no way to tell what the final size will be.
With the KDVD Half D-1, you'll easily fit ~10 hours on a DVD, if the source material is wide screen and the frame rate is 23.976fps.
What exactly, if I may ask, are you going to encode
If it's DVD backup, then you're fine. If it's a 29.97fps material, then your capacity will drop quite a bit
The ideal is that your material is 23.976fps and you also encode at 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown. That's the way the KDVD templates are already set.
Remember that the DVD standard supports only 4:3 output aspect on half D-1. So you must encode 4:3 and not 16:9. Only if you use Full D-1 you can encode 16:9.

-kwag
06-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Free Member

I was lazy, so I didn't work my way through figuring out file size prediction! I believe Q=70 was pretty much the absolute minimum I should go, and so I just went with it, hoping I'd be safe. (I did read a post below about tweeking the file size prediction to work with DVD, so I can figure it out if I need to. )

As to my source material, it's VHS of broadcast TV (NTSC), so it is 29.97 framerate (I suspected the 23 was with pulldown, which I've never done as I've only been concerned with converting mounds of old vhs tapes- all of it 29.97 and interlaced.)

Since I did go with a setting of 29.97, should I change anything else? Also, do I need to go with the 'very high' in motion rate detection? It added 10 hours to this encode, but I was looking at it as a test run, so the time wasn't particularly bothersome.

I realize vhs capture, even filtered, is fairly noisy and the 29.97 framerate sucks up more bitrate. I may be pushing the envelope at 7:15 minutes! 4 hours has generally been the max I can squeeze in using CCE and this sort of material- beyond that the macroblocks have become a problem when viewing on a set top. When I tried at a bitrate low enough for 7 hours with CCE, the CCE mpv wouldn't even play in WMP. However, I stopped the KDVD/tmpgnec encode a couple of minutes in and tested the resulting little mpv file, and at least it did open and play (looked pretty good, too), so things are looking hopeful on that end!

I'll let you know how things went sometime tomorrow. If the file's too big, I'll trim the end when I author. If it's shy of filling the disk, I'll throw a party! But yes, I will figure out file size prediction, and any advice for tweeking settings in tmpgnec for this sort of material is appreciated. Thanks again- r
07-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Free Member

You can get good looking results in CCE for video over four hours, by manually entering the KDVD quantization matrix. I also get good encodes in CCE without macroblocks on 4 hour or longer video, doing 3-4 passes and just using the MPEG Standard matrix.