Quantcast Capturing Still Image from Video? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Free Member

Hello,

Is there a way to capture from a video source an still image? I'll basically going to use that captured image as a background and then add some text on it and say "please insert next disc" or "insert disc two" something like that.

Thanks,
dredj
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Free Member

Hey dredj,

I'm sure there are other ways (probably better ways), but VCDEasy will let you capture an image from your mpeg1/2 file. I believe this is in the "Chapters" tab. Load your file in the Main tab as you normally would for burning a file. Then go to the Chapters tab and load your video file into the media player and hit the "Pause" button after it starts....scroll to the part of the file you want to capture the jpg from and hit the "Record" button to save it (you may also find the need to manually type in the time, rather than scrolling the progress bar...it was a bit quirky when I tried it last).

You might have to resize/edit the jpg somewhat depending on the resolution of your encoded video and what you plan on doing with it though. (I think vcd menu screens need a jpg that is 704x480...so for example, if you used kvcdx3 resolution to encode and you capture a jpg from it, it might not look quite right if you try to use it as a menu screen). I could be wrong though (I don't have much experience in this area of Menu/Change-Disc screens). But this method did work well for me the few times I've used it to create menus on some 704x480 fullscreen encodes.

-d&c

p.s. Anybody know of a better method/program of capturing a jpg directly from a ripped vob file, rather than this method? (alt_+_PrintScreen doesn't seem to work either, at least not on my system). Capturing a jpg from the original 720x480 vob would probably yield a better looking image than capturing a jpg from the lower-res finished encoded file, right?
07-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Free Member

Power DVD allows you to capture stills, as does VideoWave5, with TMPGEnc, simply set the start and end about 2-3 frames apart, then export movie as a series of BMP files.
07-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Free Member

Thanks Willy!

-d&c
07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Free Member

thank you d&c and willy, i'll try the TMPgenc...and d&c i think you are right about the image size, I think I read it somewhere in vcdhelp.com that the size must be 704x480 or 720x480...anyway will try all your suggestion guys....

thanks,
dredj