Quantcast KVCD: Initial DVD-9510 Handles 18+ Hours of KVCD LBR on DVD+/-RW - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Free Member

Just thought I'd pass along this information in case anyone was interested. I just picked up a Nec-1300a DVD+/_RW burner tonight, and thought that I'd put some KVCD's on some discs and see what would happen (after all, they are rewritable). Well, I managed to put my copies of Gladiator, Alien, Harry Potter:COS, Attila and a few MST3K's on a Ritek 2.4x +RW and threw it in my machine....and it plays perfectly fine in raw ISO/unauthored mode. No menus or anything fancy, bt er...it's like having a 21 hour videotape.

The Initial DVD player is a portable with tiny 4 inch screen that costs ~$169 at Walmart.

Tom
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Oh yeah
That's better than authoring it as a DVD
I'm going to have to do that for my wife, with all her Stargate SG-1 episodes. And my Cyberhome 300 DVD player plays raw MPEGs. I tried it, but on a CD-R, and it never occured to me, to try it on a DVD+RW
I'm trying that out tonight
Then, that means we'll be playing KVCDs natively
Why didn't I think of that earlier

Edit: Hell, that means I can put ~5 full length KVCDx3 movies on a DVD(+-)R

I wonder if it will play AC3 audio, muxed on the RAW mpeg
More toys to try

Thanks Thomas
-kwag
07-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Free Member

I've found that I don't get on screen display, and I can't do time search, but that's a pretty small trade-off. Tmorrow morning, I'll take the risk of making a coaster(s), and try some +/-R discs. I'll be honest; I don't understand the difference between the two formats (pretty bad when I go out to buy something and I don't totally understand it).

From one of the guides at Dvdrhelp.com, it says that you can author mpeg-1's on a DVD provided that you convert the audio to 48 Khz (they reference Ulead's MovieFactory 2). I wonder if you can author non standard mpeg-1's?

Tom

(as an aside, I don't know how widespread being able to play unauthord/raw mpeg's is). It seems that a lot of the low cost/Chinese origin DVD players can do this. And apparently (someone correct me if I am wrong) VCD's first gained wide acceptance in China/the far east.

Next ting to try is to see if MP3's will play in raw mode on a DVD +/- R/RW
07-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Free Member

Hi Tom,

Did you burn your +R as ISO or UDF/ISO
Also, did you use Nero, or some other program

Thanks,
-kwag
07-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Hi Tom,

Did you burn your +R as ISO or UDF/ISO
Also, did you use Nero, or some other program

Thanks,
-kwag
I've used EZCD Creator *once* on a -RW, but otherwise it's all been Nero 5.5.10.35 on +RW's. Burnt as ISO, but from left to right, here are some parameters;

1) Under the multisession tab; 'no multisession'.

2) Under the ISO tab, 'ISO level 1', Character Set 'ISO 9660', Joliet 'selected', the first two boxes of relax ISO restrictions selected. Akk other options on this menu are greyed out, but it appears as if Mode 1 is checked under Format.

3) Under the burn tab, 'finalize' is selected but greyed out.

A couple of data points;

- I've been able to rewrite the same +RW 4 times, so I assume that it is not a fluke

- When I started a -RW as an open multisession disc, it played, but I could not add anything further to it (in either Nero, EZCD or CopytoDVD). My burner came with NTI DVD maker which I haven't tried.

hope this helps.

Tom
07-26-2003, 02:16 AM
Free Member

Hi Tom,

I asked you, because I burned a +RW, but the disk was not recognized in my player. I know +RW works, because it was reported to work on the Cyberhome 300, but as DVD structure. Not as ISO/data DVD.
I'll just try tomorrow a regular DVD backup to the +RW and see if it plays. Maybe I did something wrong in Nero.

Thanks,
-kwag